Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing weight but only in one place

• 30-11-2008 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Im confused. Im losing weight but seemingly only one my "love handles"

Whats going on with that? I wanted to lose my gut but its only going on the handles.

And opinions of advice on how to change direction of the weight loss.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Just keep loosing weight, theres no way to burn fat from a particular area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

As long as its dropping off I should be happy.

I need it off for a beach holiday. Those damned Australian surfers will only show me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Try liposuction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

OP you're more than likely losing weight from more places than your love handles, but if they were particularly prominent than that's the place you'll see the change most. Fat doesn't spot reduce (unfortunately :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

g'em wrote: »
    OP you're more than likely losing weight from more places than your love handles, but if they were particularly prominent than that's the place you'll see the change most. Fat doesn't spot reduce (unfortunately :rolleyes:).

Noticed that the belly is gone down now. I was just not as noticable until I wore a cashmere jumper yesterday over my shirt because of the cold. Usually I have a very prominent belly sticking out like Im stealing footballs from Lifestyle sports but yesterday and today and hopefully in the future it will go down even more and my fittef/muscle shirts might actually fit me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Berty wrote: »
    belly sticking out like Im stealing footballs from Lifestyle sports
    brilliant :D

I have heard people say "first on, last off", with fat, so if the love handles came after the gut you might need them fully gone first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I'd agree with rubadub, am down about 60 pounds in 13 months but only now really losing the bits I was most paranoid about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

jdivision wrote: »
    I'd agree with rubadub, am down about 60 pounds in 13 months but only now really losing the bits I was most paranoid about!

This gives me hope but I fear I'm going to have to put up with a skeletal upper body before the fat on my arse and thighs ups and leaves :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gollybaby

lol deisegirl funnyfunny!!
    other than that i've no constructive criticim!!
    good luk tho xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

DéiseGirl wrote: »
    This gives me hope but I fear I'm going to have to put up with a skeletal upper body before the fat on my arse and thighs ups and leaves :o
    Perhaps do some upper body exercise to keep yourself toned and lean up there. Pushups, pullups (assisted/jumping), situps and dumbell work.

Wouldn't be any harm to squat while you're at it. Resistance exercise will up your metabolism too, helping you lose the weight.

• Advertisement

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Perhaps do some upper body exercise to keep yourself toned and lean up there. Pushups, pullups (assisted/jumping), situps and dumbell work.

Wouldn't be any harm to squat while you're at it. Resistance exercise will up your metabolism too, helping you lose the weight.

I'm doing both upper and body weights. I am limited by what I can do because I work out at home and I just have the Argos dumbell/barbell sets. I'm going to get another 20kg of plates but after that I don't know if I'll be go any further - I can see myself going through the ceiling or snapping my neck...or both! :eek: Gym is not really an option as I live the commuter dream :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

DéiseGirl wrote: »
    I'm doing both upper and body weights. I am limited by what I can do because I work out at home and I just have the Argos dumbell/barbell sets.
    That's great! No need to spend money on any fancy equipment :) Most of what's mentioned above can be done in your living room.

For situps, you can anchor your legs under a chair (or your dumbells) and maybe put a small pillow under your lower back if that's comfortable.

Air squats are a fantastic exercise. IMO better than a threadmill. Fifty of them now and then will make you feel like you've done a good workout:

Pressups are great too. You can do them using your knees as the pivot point, if doing them off your toes is too difficult. Keep going at least until you're sweating/panting. Intensity is the key. And you don't need to spend too long at them either. 20 mins total doing all these exercises 3-4 times a week is lots, with aims to improve how many you can do in that time.

If you were to get any equipment though, I'd say invest in one of these. Works in a doorway, easily removed when not in use.
    You'll probably not be able to do a pullup initially, but thats okay. It's easy enough to build up the strength with negatives. i.e. you jump up and lower yourself down as slowly as possible i.e. an eccentric contraction.

Thanks for tips, probably will get a pull up bar at some stage alright, want to do a bit of research and see which one would be the best and cause least amount of damage! One corner of our box room/study type room is just full of exercise knick knacks at this stage...original plan was to get a sofa bed to give the option of an extra bed but I'm kind of glossing over that because I don't know where else my "home gym" will go :D

Advertisement