Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a rifle liscense

Options
  • 30-11-2008 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

What are the chances of getting a liscense for a .22 or air rifle for a 16 year old?

access to plenty of land.

do you think it will be refused?

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

ask your firearms officer ,he ll no the crack

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

If you have a good reason to have a .22, proof of somewhere to shoot or be a member of a club there should be no trouble in getting a "License".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

A young man of my acquaintance applied for a .22 rifle licence the day after his 16th birthday, and had the document in his hand 6 weeks later.
    He was that time (and still is) a full member of a target shooting club, and had done their basic firearms safety course.

edited to add:
    Also, he had about 400 acres worth of hunting permission, but his Firearms Officer was much more impressed with the club membership and the safety course certificate.

Also, also, his dad already had a couple of licences, and the requisite safe storage facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Do you need a license to join a target shooting club?
    cheers rovi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Scoogles

I know plenty of young fellas who were turned down for rifle certs because of their age. In most of the circumstances it was because there was no other firearms in the house or person in the family who could supervise the use of at such a young age. Any of them who got an uncle or somebody experienced to say they'd show them the ropes had no problems. Some of those refused rifle certs did get shotgun licences though, which is a bit of a contradiction. Probably something to do with the range of gun i'expect,. Our club did a basic NARGC/ County Safety Officer course for every body in the club in the last few weeks, was well attended and was a bit of craic afterwards. the local Firearms officer is impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

ya see i have no one that already does it,

my oul lad was interested in taken it up in the first place and it was him who asked me to look up how to get one for myself.

so my question now would it make a difference if we both applied or he applied first then i went for it?

cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

youll have to be interviewed by your local superintendant along with one of your parents that give you consent for the gun because your under 18 you would also need to have the profficency course done it is a good help for getting a licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Scoogles

The way i see it is that there is no obligation on you to do any course, training or have any body with you to apply for a licence, however if you only do a half arsed job in applying or 'satisfying' the local super you won't get a licence.
    If your serious about taking up shooting do a firearms safety course anyway, its a good instruction to have, go on the NARGC wabpage and they have details on courses. If you do a little work on showing the super you are serious there shouldn't be a great problem. Just 'satisfy' him. In the words of Roy "fail to prepare, prepare to fail"

Advertisement