Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalling XP Home, but no CD

Options
  • 30-11-2008 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭

Right, so as the title says I'm planning on reinstalling XP Home edition on my old laptop. I lent one of my mates the recovery CD that came with the laptop and it never came back to me. I'd say its horribly scratched and sitting under the pile of c*** on his desk. Can I reinstall it from another CD and use my product code? Or are the product keys linked to the original CD supplied with the computer?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Provided they are the same version, install as normal and then use this tool to match the licence keys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

other gotcha's
    Branded CD's like toshiba / hp will only work on that brand as they query the BIOS on the PC during setup
    you can't use your HOME serial on a PRO CD

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Branded CD's like toshiba / hp will only work on that brand as they query the BIOS on the PC during setup
    A lot of them will install regardless but only be preactivated if you are using with a branded computer. This doesnt matter as he will be changing his product key, which activates the computer anyway.
    you can't use your HOME serial on a PRO CD
    Hence the provided they are the same version..

Advertisement