Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop outsiders accessing 192.168.1.254

Options
  • 30-11-2008 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

I'm doing something stupid. I know I am. I thought I was computer literate but I'm stumped.

Setup a relations Eircom internet with Netopia 2247.
    Setup wifi with security.

But WHY am I able to access 192.168.1.254 wirelessly from

1) my laptop that I brought down to the relations house
    2) my mobile phone
    and therefore anyone can access it...

If I do a scan for wifi networks it correctly identifies the network as encrypted and if I try to access a website it requires the wifi key.

But there is no point in this if ANYONE can access the router....and change the password...

I'm thinking I'm missing something very simple here....:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

doh!

I'm a dope. I'm a fool. :p

I could access 192.168.1.254 from my laptop cos I had the network key defined in it from months ago

And my N95 had a defined access point as well with password.

Hence I had to have had the wifi password in the first place to access the router...but seen as I wasn't asked for it (as it was automatic) I thought I was going in unsecured!

Ashamed and embarassed at the stupidity of my question. Only happy that I didn't waste anyone else's time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

u wasted my time,now find a bridge and jump off it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha ha ya plonker. Ah well at least your not paranoid now lol

Advertisement