Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canada for 6 months

• 30-11-2008 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Not sure if in right area or not but bear with me sure.

Currently working in an office as a trainee accountant but need to get out of ireland for a while. I'm at a stage that if i don't go in the next year I never will. I'm 24 y.o. by the way.

Canada seems to be a good option (dont like the sun so Oz is out and USA is basically the cause of the recession).

I'm looking for people who may have visited canada recently, either working or holidays, to enlighten me. Is it nice country, whats the social/ work life like?

P.S. As mentioned I do work in an office so I wouldn't fancy going back into one. I've never travelled so would also like some advice on what jobs to go looking for (it'll probably be what I can get I'm sure).

And what do I do in terms of USIT or equivalent?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Strangeways

Hey there:

As a Canadian on a working holiday in Ireland, I have to say it's a pretty awesome country (I miss it sometimes...) In most provincial capitals there's a good mix of nightlife, and people are generally friendly. And we're handling the economic-yadda-yadda better than most places.

I came over on my working holiday with SWAP (Canada) and USIT (here), on an under... 30 or 35 visa. And I'm pretty sure they do a reciprocal one to Canada. From what I've heard my country's embassy is a pain and a half and REALLY picky if you don't go through a partner, so that's probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Thanks so much for the reply.

Pardon my ignorance but what's a partner exactly? Is it a company that organises swaps between countries? (i've led a very sheltered life:)).

Also, would you know what types of jobs people go for on working holidays? I'd be open to most things that wouldn't tie me down that much because I'd love to see as much of the country as I could, a month here, a month there etc.

P.S. I have heard that canadians are generally lovely and laid-back. Congrats to your forefathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Strangeways

No prob :)

A partner is a company that organizes your visa and usually sets you up with some support when you get over here. For me, they arranged my visa and over here they let me use their phone to yell at my Canadian bank and helped me Irish up my resume. The people at USIT have been really delightful and friendly, as were the SWAP people back home, so thumbs up there.

If you're looking for something that gives you a lot of freedom, have you thought about temping? If you've got any office experience you're likely to get some work, and you can use the breaks to travel. Otherwise I'd say look for some sort of customer service or hotel work. The Irish accent would probably get you fantastic tips.

(Also, in the shameless plug department - visit the East Coast! Lovely and laid back people, probably the friendliest in Canada. I did my degree in Halifax and had the best four years of my life. )

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Oh I plan to do see as much of it as I can. I'll tell them you said Hi :):)

Thanks for the tips and advice. I'll let ya know if I get going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

Have also been thinking of going to Canada, could someone post up some usefull websites please!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Hello,

My dad's from Vancouver, but I grew up here in Ireland. I spent my summer there, from early June to late September. I didn't have to do the whole visa rigmarole, which was nice. Basically, my mates and I decided we'd go there, because I knew the place (coupled with the lack of being 21 *cough*). Best 3.5 months of my life. We visited the States, and one thing I would have said all along, but my mates were astounded to find was actually true was the difference in the level of friendliness as soon as you cross the border.

If you have a conception that Canada's a cold place, you're mistaken. Well, during the summer anyway! In Vancouver while I was there, there was a period of about 6 weeks, where it was in the low 30s every day, and only rained twice. I'm not a fan of seering heat (I never got why people go to Greece in August, for example), but it wasn't too much. A little bias on my part, but BC (British Columbia, the westernmost province) is the most beautiful place on the planet. Even if you don't go for long, you simply have to go for a few days.

I hung out with a bunch of people from the Maritimes(the East, eg Halifax), and they were pretty cool. Albertans can be a little hard to "get", but they're quite cool too. Canada is just a really laid back kinda place, which kinda operates on an honesty policy, ie I got asked going into a football game if I was carring any weapons and just saying "no" sufficed. But the impression you get from a lot of Canadians is that they feel lucky to have been born in Canada and not the US, that they're better and more civilised(!), but not at all in an arrogant kind of way.

Do visit Toronto, but I wouldn't hang around. There's a lot of things to see, but I found it too polluted and hot 'n' humid when I was there. It was lovely apart from that.

But, man, I'd say grab the bull by the horns, get onto USIT, and get your visa. You'll really enjoy it. If you're going by yourself you'll make mates, so don't worry about that. If nothing else you tend to hear an Irish accent on the bus and be able to strike up a conversation! Or even an Irish bar!

Flights and visa all in to Vancouver for my mates was €1100, if I recall. And if you're in Vancouver and looking for something to do, just PM and I'll point you in a direction or two.

Advertisement