Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil Problems

Options
  • 30-11-2008 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi there i recently got an oil change in my car so i got the reciept and everything is fine. Well today a few days after it was changed i noticed there is nothing showing on the dipstick. I know i have a rocker gasket leak but even with the old oil it hardly never went down from max even after 10,000 miles with the leak. Also there are no drips being shown or anything on the floor underneath. I was wondering if its the garages fault either not putting the oil in and charging me for it or they created a new leak or something. Help anyone? Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Well no oil is no oil. Are you sure you have checked it properly? Sometimes new oil is hard to see on a dipstick, but if you've done any mileage at all it should be obvious. What could have happened is that whoever changed the oil, put in enough oil to bring it up to the full level on the dipstick but then never started the engine after replacing the oil, so when the engine was started, the oil filter had to fill up and the oil level then dropped accordingly, or possibly some other mistake was made.

Either way, get it back to them ASAP and get it resolved and put oil in the engine before you even start it again in case the worst case scenario is that they drained the oil and never put new oil back into the engine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭sammy657

Thanks for the reply i have noticed new oil has been put in at some stage as it is a golden colour. But the most i can get off the dipstick is a droplet. I already have driven like 120 miles but no oil warning lamp has come on. Should i go back and really give em a go tomorrow morning? And also im not paying anymore for it why should i?

sammy657 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply i have noticed new oil has been put in at some stage as it is a golden colour. But the most i can get off the dipstick is a droplet. I already have driven like 120 miles but no oil warning lamp has come on. Should i go back and really give em a go tomorrow morning? And also im not paying anymore for it why should i?

Yeah what's most likely happened here is that the engine wasn't started by the mechanic immediately after the oil was replaced. This is necessary after you put in new oil, so that the oil filter and oil filter housing can be filled. After this is done, the level will drop so you have to dip it again and re-top it up to account for the fact that the oil level will have lowered due to the oil filter and oil filter housing filling up.

Get it back to them and you are right, you shouldn't have to pay for this, unless you have a major leak somewhere...

But make sure there is sufficient oil in the engine to drive it anywhere... If in doubt, get them to call out to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,517 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I wouldnt go driving too far with no oil in your car. ;)

Seriously, get it checked asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭sammy657

I spose thats what happened. I know i have a rocker cover gasket leak but i had this before my oil change and i had the previous oil in for 10,000 miles and it hardly ever went down so i dont think it could be the rocker cover. Well the garage is only around the corner literally so i will chance it and drive it round its like 20 secs max away what you think?

• Advertisement

sammy657 wrote: »
    I spose thats what happened. I know i have a rocker cover gasket leak but i had this before my oil change and i had the previous oil in for 10,000 miles and it hardly ever went down so i dont think it could be the rocker cover. Well the garage is only around the corner literally so i will chance it and drive it round its like 20 secs max away what you think?

If they are that close get them to come up and sort out the oil level and take it from there. A rocker gasket leak won't account for your problem I don't think. Most likely thing is that it wasn't checked after a service and the correct volume of oil wasn't put in...

Advertisement