Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions Please

Options
  • 30-11-2008 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Ok I have been looking at an MG ZR 1.4 (Rover 25 rebodied)and was wondering about them, what kind of faults and how easy to get parts are they reliable and so on?

I have taken a test drive in a 03 one and they handle very well, good fun car with decent power for such a small engine.

Were rover/mg that bad?

I know an older chap ( im 23 ) with a diesel 04 Rover 75, he has had it for a few years and he says its brillant.

This seller will go under 5000e.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1250789

3500e I would guess

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1268686

I have been looking around and the only thing with similar shape is an Alfa 147 which is supposedly worse reliability wise.

Should I go Rover/Mg or look elsewhere?

5000e to spend, full licence, dont do big milage and dont want to pay big road tax, 1.6 max.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Should I go Rover/Mg or look elsewhere?

go elsehere...., MG/Rover went bancrupt for a reason.

Its a pretty ancient design, and will be nearly impossible to sell on in the future.....not recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Cosmo K wrote: »
    go elsehere...., MG/Rover went bancrupt for a reason.

Its a pretty ancient design, and will be nearly impossible to sell on in the future.....not recommended

Same will be said of Ford/GM then?

Any alternatives for me?

Not interested in paying crazy money for Golf, Civic, Corrola and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The Rover K-Series engines can take alot of abuse, but their weakness is the dodgy head gasket design. Make sure to ask when the head gasket was replaced last.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    The Rover K-Series engines can take alot of abuse, but their weakness is the dodgy head gasket design. Make sure to ask when the head gasket was replaced last.

Seems to be a big problem, have been reading loads of horror stories about gaskets going.I know they go in alot of cars from time to time, but MG/Rover are plauged.I have been going throught Autotrader and the 1.8 VVTL-i Corollas seem the job.189bhp, 0-60 in under 8.5secs, Toyota.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=TOYOTA&min_pr=75&source=0&model=COROLLA&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=2&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=1.8&bodyid=1&trim=&fuelid=1&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=30&ukcarsearch_full.y=0&start=4&distance=160&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200847323636500

Anyone know if they are classed as a sports car like a 1.8 Celica or will I be ok?

Way over budget.Toyota wont lose much?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Mg is a no go. Lots of problems along with the head gasket.

The 1.8 corrolla would be considered the same as the Gti Golf's etc. etc. It will be a harder sale than a smaller engine Corolla as there weren't as many of these. If your going that engine size, would a celica not be better? Same engine i know, but it fits into it's class. By all means if you like the corolla 1.8 (which i do) go for it.

• Advertisement

Shame about the Corolla, not only would my insurance have rocketed, but the 32% vrt is insane.I looked at the diesel but they are all 5 door.188bhp and decent fuel economy, a well :o

I have agreed to buy this Mitsubishi Mirage Mivec off arif765 on adverts.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=79009&cat=2

It looks a good deal to me, other opinions would be great.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Put simply,

Positively they are cheap to buy now,

Negatively they will almost certainly do the head gasket at some stage, if not more. They weren't noted for reliability, it must be said

Sorry for asking loads of questions, but wouild the Auto in the Mivec kill it?

I have never owned a Auto car and though you can change the gears F1 style with triptonic box, would it lose alot of speed/acceleration/burn way more fuel than a manual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

"
    I know an older chap ( im 23 ) with a diesel 04 Rover 75, he has had it for a few years and he says its brillant.

This seller will go under 5000e."

Never heard a good word about rovers except the 75, know 2 people who have had them and said they were great cars. large, spacious, comfortable and reliable - But then again it is a rover, would suggest staying away from them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

The GF has a '99 Rover 214 and its fine, never needed a head gasket BUT she drives it easy and doesn't rev the engine - I've heard of so many others dying. It would have to have had the gasket replaced with a thicker (or double) gasket to be looked at.

The Rover 75 was developed and built to BMW standards and is a very reliable car. It was well up there in the reliability index's when it was launched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Shame about the Corolla, not only would my insurance have rocketed, but the 32% vrt is insane.I looked at the diesel but they are all 5 door.188bhp and decent fuel economy, a well :o

I have agreed to buy this Mitsubishi Mirage Mivec off arif765 on adverts.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=79009&cat=2

It looks a good deal to me, other opinions would be great.

Thanks
    "Fast car, no Mivec on log book." Don't try to 'fool' your insurance company on this, as your insurance will more than likely be invalid if you omit telling them.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Mirrors and bumper is same culler.

I wouldn't buy anything of someone who can't spell colour.:eek:

Advertisement