Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who goes first - Ince or Keane? Hoped you voted Keane - All discussion in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well whatever about all this first black manager nonsense, the fact is that Paul Ince has taken over a team that were in the top ten for last couple of seasons and destroyed them. He has to go. I'm a Blackburn fan, and unfortunately we have been slow to act on similar circumstances in the past. I hope that changes this time around. He is the second worst manager we have had, only Brian Kidd was worse than him.

I'd take Big Sam in heartbeat to replace him or any number of ex prem managers. My thinking is that if they do see sense quickly and sack him, that the most likely candidate would be Ady Boothroyd. It seems that younger managers are what the John Williams wants. I think we need someone with lots of experience myself and before January so that he has a chance to bring in some players. We desperately need a central midfielder and a right sided midfielder. We also need some pace at Centre Back.

Edit to add, I'd swap managers with Sunderland as well. I think Roy Keane has done a good job so far. I don't think they will go down this season.

vorbis wrote: »
    Chris Coleman managed Fulham as well. He's pretty black.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Ince.

Blackburn are in trouble and i'm not seeing positive signs that they can move upwards on current form, Blackburn staying up would be all we*(i'm adapting u all as honuary BB fans) :) can hope for this season.

Keane is holding out for a better contract imo. Either that or guatantees he will get money for Jan transfers. He really should not turn his back on Sunderland so soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

OK. So Utd send out the fringe players and despite some keystone cops defending they annhilate Ince's Balckburn.

Keane apparently is "on the brink" at Sunderland and may go today :confused:

So wheres your money now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Everything suggests a decision will be made today as to his staying or not, if that is the case shall he walk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Can't see him going tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Whether today is the day or not I can't guess, but I'd say he'll walk out at some point. Whenever the pressure has been on he has done. Jump before push, you might say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Like when?

When else has he done that?

The CL semi-final against Juve?

The vital Irish WC qualifier against Holland?

He was sent home from Saipan and forced to leave Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Whether today is the day or not I can't guess, but I'd say he'll walk out at some point. Whenever the pressure has been on he has done. Jump before push, you might say.

Poor effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

noodler wrote: »
    Like when?

He was sent home from Saipan and forced to leave Utd.

Whatever makes you feel warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

He walked last night. Expect news to be announced this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

*Apparently* there was a contract on the table last night and he decided not to sign and left the club altogether. I've also heard a lunch time press conference is being arranged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

All these (and other) threads prove that it's impossible to discuss Roy Keane rationally without some people having to make recourse to old, bitter history.

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Whatever makes you feel warm.

Most selective use of the quotation system ever.

Anyway, "I have sent him home"-Mick McCarthy's words.

Common sense will tell you he had to leave utd after his infamous MUTV speech.

Dunphy's recent comments have shown what a hyppocrite he is. From OTT praise of Keane to OTT condemnation.

They have to get a settled team though and play Andy Reid.

I always think playing Andy Reid can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I read he has not been back to the club since last saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

redout wrote: »
    I read he has not been back to the club since last saturday.

link ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Please god he goes ;)

jaykay74 wrote: »
    link ?

12/4/2008 2:27 AM
    Sunderland Appoint Chief Executive To Advise Keane On Transfers

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn has appointed a new CEO, whose role includes working alongside manager Roy Keane to decide on transfer targets...

177_thumb.jpg

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/746/sunderland/2008/12/04/995404/sunderland-appoint-chief-executive-to-advise-keane-on-transfers

According to a report in the British tabloid the Daily Mail, Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn has taken it upon himself to appoint a new Chief Executive.

On the surface, the news may not sound out of the ordinary, but Steve Walton has been installed to work alongside manager Roy Keane with regard to the Black Cats' transfer targets.

It is questionable as to whether this was the best move the club could have made at this moment in time, especially with Keane recently declaring: "I ask myself every single day if I am the right man for Sunderland."

The Daily Mail claims that Roy Keane has not been back to Sunderland since the 4-1 home defeat to Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.

It is thought that Quinn is eager for Keane to go public and declare himself still in charge of the team in order to put an end to the rumours about his future at the club.

Keane is expected to confirm that he has no plans to walk away from the Wearside outfit and return to training today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

I heard Mick McCarthy is taking over with Alan Shearer as his assistant

Stranger things have happened. I mean Quinn and Keane together?

I reckon Mcateer will be back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Most selective use of the quotation system ever.

Anyway, "I have sent him home"-Mick McCarthy's words.

Common sense will tell you he had to leave utd after his infamous MUTV speech.

Dunphy's recent comments have shown what a hyppocrite he is. From OTT praise of Keane to OTT condemnation.

They have to get a settled team though and play Andy Reid.

I always think playing Andy Reid can help.

Lol right one at a time :

1. McCarthy had to say he sent him home to show that players would not be tolerated if they showed that kind of disrespect (although in fairness to Royston this trait seems to be quite common down leeside)

2. Did someone force him to make his little rant on MUTV, no he choose to do it and quite deliberately IMO as he wanted out, he just couldnt accept the fact that he was on a downward spiral as a player ( was still better than most mind you)

3. Dunphy while overly extreme in both cases is actually pretty on the money in fairness, Keane was without question World class as a player and is all things taking into consideration failing as a manager at the top level.

4. And please this feckin Andy Reid sh*te has to stop, a feckin tabloid campaign have most of the country believing that this guy is up there with messi and kaka or something, hes an average footballer who has gereat vision and a good passer of the ball but cant run, cant tackle and has serious question marks over he's application.

Keane has lost plot, says close confidant

Who is the dashing looking close confidant (see link) :D

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=598561&sec=england&cc=5739

Lads can we keep the Saipan/McCarthy/Dunphy crap off this thread?

Lol right one at a time :

1. McCarthy had to say he sent him home to show that players would not be tolerated if they showed that kind of disrespect (although in fairness to Royston this trait seems to be quite common down leeside)

2. Did someone force him to make his little rant on MUTV, no he choose to do it and quite deliberately IMO as he wanted out, he just couldnt accept the fact that he was on a downward spiral as a player ( was still better than most mind you)

3. Dunphy while overly extreme in both cases is actually pretty on the money in fairness, Keane was without question World class as a player and is all things taking into consideration failing as a manager at the top level.

4. And please this feckin Andy Reid sh*te has to stop, a feckin tabloid campaign have most of the country believing that this guy is up there with messi and kaka or something, hes an average footballer who has gereat vision and a good passer of the ball but cant run, cant tackle and has serious question marks over he's application.

On counts one and two I think you are delving too far into it. I am willing to take both incidents for face value unless there is proof to the contrary.

I agree with point 3. Dunphy is right that Keane is under serious pressure, needs a settled team etc but the article I read was seriously lacking in class and respect for the man. I think I would have felt the same way if it hadn't been someone Dunphy previously lauded to the hilltops.

Point 4. It is all relative. Reid is Sunderland's Messi for me, he is the man everything flows through. I mean from my own experience in football, obviously limited by my own level, it is clear to me the most important player is the guy who gets on the ball in the centre and can ping it around.
    I am not suggesting he should be starting for Utd or Chelsea. Charlton got the most out of Reid and I fear Keane's ridiculously sized squad and Trap's ponderous propensity for picking players with less experience and talent all conspire against him.

Sorry to use the Reid thing in an ROI context-not really the thread to do it but I obviously have a chip on my shoulder about Trap sending us into battle with one arm tied behind our back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

On counts one and two I think you are delving too far into it. I am willing to take both incidents for face value unless there is proof to the contrary.

I agree with point 3. Dunphy is right that Keane is under serious pressure, needs a settled team etc but the article I read was seriously lacking in class and respect for the man. I think I would have felt the same way if it hadn't been someone Dunphy previously lauded to the hilltops.

Point 4. It is all relative. Reid is Sunderland's Messi for me, he is the man everything flows through. I mean from my own experience in football, obviously limited by my own level, it is clear to me the most important player is the guy who gets on the ball in the centre and can ping it around.
    I am not suggesting he should be starting for Utd or Chelsea. Charlton got the most out of Reid and I fear Keane's ridiculously sized squad and Trap's ponderous propensity for picking players with less experience and talent all conspire against him.

Sorry to use the Reid thing in an ROI context-not really the thread to do it but I obviously have a chip on my shoulder about Trap sending us into battle with one arm tied behind our back.

snap.

not sure who is running with this yet... I think the internet will break today :)

Exclusive: Sunderland and Keane part company

Roy Keane and Sunderland have parted company this morning, according to reports on Wearside. The Sunderland players are understood to have been informed of Keane's departure at a morning meeting.
    There have been intense discussions behind the scenes between Keane, the club chairman, Niall Quinn, and other advisers over the past three days. With talks curtailed last night with Keane's future unresolved it seems that this morning a decision to part ways has been reached.
    Keane voiced his self-doubt loudly last weekend regarding his suitability for the post. It followed a dismal display that saw Sunderland lose 4-1 at home to Bolton in what was the latest in a succession of poor results that has seen them slip into the relegation zone.
    There has been rising criticism lately of Keane's team selection. Doubt surrounding the Irishman over the past seven days has affected the dressing room and has created some more doubt in the most important relationship at any football club – between the manager and his players.

More to follow...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sunderland-and-keane-part-company-1049867.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

He has made some dire transfers, and spent horrible amounts of money.

Though he's not doing too badly in the Premiership. I'd imagine they'd finish 13th-15th in the Premier. I hope he doesn't walk away.

Loss To:
    Liverpool (1-0) H 1st
    Manchester City (3-0) H 15th
    Aston Villa (2-1) A 5th
    Stoke City (1-0) A 14th
    Chelsea (5-0) A 2nd
    Portsmouth (2-1) H 8th
    West Ham United (1-0) H 13th
    Bolton Wanderers (4-1) H 9th

Most of these with Kenyan Jones injured?

Draw:

Wigan (1-1) A 11th
    Arsenal (1-1) H 4th
    Fulham (0-0) A 10th

Beat:

Tottenham (2-1) A 16th
    Middlesbrough (2-0) H 12th
    Newcastle United (2-1) H 17th
    Blackburn Rovers (2-1) A 19th

In December Sunderland have:

Man Utd A -- Loss -- 3rd

WBA H -- Win -- 20th

Hull City A -- Loss/Draw -- 6th

Everton A -- Loss/Draw -- 7th

Blackburn Rovers H -- Win -- 19th

7~ points from the next five fixtures. Not all that bad. Plus a win could push them upto 13th in the Premier. Not too dire a situation.

wow thats official enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Yes he'll go, doubt it'll be today though. Hasn't managed to attract the right talent despite the money spent.
    But not yet, not yet....

e: lmao talk about badly beaten

Get off my shoulder man!

Well, he made undoubted progress there IMO.

Plenty could have spent that kinda money and A) not gotten promoted and B) not stayed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

it has been reported on ssn

Keane has left sunderland

not offical yet but sky sports news understand he has left

jaykay74 wrote: »
    not sure who is running with this yet... I think the internet will break today :)

Exclusive: Sunderland and Keane part company

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sunderland-and-keane-part-company-1049867.html

Goal.com are reporting it also quoting the Independent. looks like he could be gone then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Ugh... Hope that news isn't true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Burial wrote: »
    Ugh... Hope that news isn't true!

Me too I was enjoying watching him squirm :D

Todays the day the Keane haters have been waiting for....

Well enjoy lads, let rip and tear him up.

• Advertisement

BBC now have it also.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/7764671.stm

Keane and Sunderland part company

Keane took charge of Sunderland in 2006
    Roy Keane has left his position as manager of Sunderland Football Club, BBC Sport understands.

Keane has hinted in recent weeks that his future may not be certain hinting that he could leave the club.

Sunderland are 18th in the Premier League and have lost five of their last six games.

The former Manchester United midfielder took over at the Stadium of Light in 2006 and led them to the Premier League in the 2006/07 season.

More to follow.

At least his dog will get a good walk now,

so what next for roy?

he should try and become the apprentice pundit on Rte,

or failing that start up Radio Roy.

Exellent (for my PP account! :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Damn shame :(

mike65 wrote: »
    Exellent (for my PP account! ?:p )

Why didn't you sign off?
    have you come around to your senses?
    fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Just reported in the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/7764671.stm

Very strange move after all the money he has spent. Buy hey thats Roy Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

How many more?

Are PP giving odds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Des wrote: »
    How many more?

Are PP giving odds?

How many Roy Keane has left Sunderland threads ? I'm thinking 5 in all, up to 3 at the min :D

Roy Keane has dump.

Roy Keane Walks Dog.

Roy Keane Drinks Tea.

Roy Keane, Roy Keane, Roy Keane.

Hopefully this is the end of the obsession.

• Advertisement
Advertisement