Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who goes first - Ince or Keane? Hoped you voted Keane - All discussion in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Must say it's funny when people call him a failure after bringing Sunderland from the bottom of the Championship into the Premiership in his first season, consolidates Sunderland's place the following year, and despite having a bad start this year - are only a few points from the top half of the table.

I think he walked because it was becoming a circus there. Every day there was at least a page in every paper dedicated to 'Will Keane Go' or 'Whats Gone Wrong at Sunderland' when the reality is that there's very little wrong. Only four teams from 15 have survived in the Premiership the first season up and thats including Sunderland. 80m spent? Who cares, the fact he kept them up means they'll have made plenty back.

Ya, this sums up my position fairly well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Funny how the same people on hear that Hate Keane, Hate Ronaldo aswell. Wonder why that is? ;)

Whole new squad? Sunderland were one of the pre-season favourites to be promoted that year, they had a good squad.

Kenny cunningham, Stanislav Varga, Steven Caldwell, Stephen Wright, Graham kavangh, Grant leadbitter, Dean Whitehead, Liam Lawrence, Rory Delap, Nyron Nosworthy, Stephen elliot, Darly Murphy, Jon Stead.

I'm feeling you on this one to a certain extent. But just as his first season in the Championship wasn't as amazing as some quarters indicated - his time in the premiership up to this point hasn't been as bad as others are attempting to claim.

All in all, he did fine. He was popular with the fanbase aswell don't forget. I would expect him to get another managerial job if he wants one on the strength of what he has done so far. What people seem to forget all too readily is the amount of managers that take over teams in the lower divisions and dick around for a few seasons without getting anywhere - irrespective of the relative advantage in terms of playing talent or financial clout. Or the amount of guys who have taken over as caretakers or gotten the reigns at premiership clubs and been sacked 12 - 18 months later over the past decade.

I think that when the dust settles, what Keane has done will be viewed positively by the people who matter - chairmen of Brittish football clubs. He'll get another shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Boggles wrote: »
    Funny how the same people on hear that Hate Keane, Hate Ronaldo aswell. Wonder why that is? ;)

Probably the same reason that the people on here who think that Keanes and sh*t smells like perfume think the same of Ronaldo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

it doesn't surprise me, though I do think he was a bit rash. He could have turned it around, they still have (at least on paper) the guts of a decent side there.

And he did get them into the PL, established them somewhat last season. Why wouldn't he want to proceed with Sunderland's amibtion to move onto the "next level"?

Ahhh some sense. Thats the question. Why is it he went. If it was to do with 'self doubt', then thats a serious flaw. I really doubt it though. If the rumours of a guy being assigned to 'help' with transfers is true, I'd say that was a big issue for Keane. I think his whole outlook on management was Fergie like and interferance in transfers would be a big no no. We'll find out in the coming weeks hopefully, Keanes hardly renowned for keeping his mouth shut:)

Ok fair enough lads people are never going to agree, or be objective, when it comes to Keane so lets put aside the whole debate of whether he was a succes as a manager or a failure the fact is he cracked and walked away when the going got tough how can anyone defend that??? Whether you like Quinn or not do you not think he and the rest of the board deserved some loyalty back from keane after they took such a big risk with him and backed him financially when he had no experience as a manager what other board in what is essentially a ruthless business would have done the same??

rest of the board deserved some loyalty back from keane after they took such a big risk with him and backed him financially

Ammmm. You don't actually pay if you get promoted to the premier league, they give you upwards of 40 million sterling. But it seems you forgot about too. :rolleyes:

Ok fair enough lads people are never going to agree, or be objective, when it comes to Keane

Well I think we see that you can't be objective anyway. Just because you realise this of yourself, doesn't mean it corresponds to everyone. And for the record, you don't know why he's gone yet. If he's gone because 'he couldn't handle it', I will agree with you about his lack of bottle etc. Thats what happens when your not out to merely seek a conclusion you want. You wait for the facts, and make your assesment. Objectivity, try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm feeling you on this one to a certain extent. But just as his first season in the Championship wasn't as amazing as some quarters indicated - his time in the premiership up to this point hasn't been as bad as others are attempting to claim.

All in all, he did fine. He was popular with the fanbase aswell don't forget. I would expect him to get another managerial job if he wants one on the strength of what he has done so far. What people seem to forget all too readily is the amount of managers that take over teams in the lower divisions and dick around for a few seasons without getting anywhere - irrespective of the relative advantage in terms of playing talent or financial clout. Or the amount of guys who have taken over as caretakers or gotten the reigns at premiership clubs and been sacked 12 - 18 months later over the past decade.

I think that when the dust settles, what Keane has done will be viewed positively by the people who matter - chairmen of Brittish football clubs. He'll get another shot.

I think fine is a perfect way to describe it actually. In my eyes he did what I expected him to do so wasnt a failure, and I dont think he pushed the club on or surpassed my expectations so he wasnt a success either. He'll definitly find another job if he wants it, but I doubt he'll find one in the premiership straight away.

In some ways I think he would of been better off missing out on promotion with sunderland in his first season to give him some extra time to get his feet wet.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Well I think we see that you can't be objective anyway. Just because you realise this of yourself, doesn't mean it corresponds to everyone. And for the record, you don't know why he's gone yet. If he's gone because 'he couldn't handle it', I will agree with you about his lack of bottle etc. Thats what happens when your not out to merely seek a conclusion you want. You wait for the facts, and make your assesment. Objectivity, try it.

Well seing that you cant see it about yourself i thought id point you in the right direction but i guess objectivity is difficult when your a smug so and .......you get the picture or maybe you dont you do seem a bit slow on the uptake tbh

• Advertisement

In some ways I think he would of been better off missing out on promotion with sunderland in his first season to give him some extra time to get his feet wet.

LOL. Why?? He got to the premiership and stayed in it. And would have likely stayed in it again. Thats not getting his feet wet? Seriously, he was certainly no messiah, but FFS, its like 'poor keane was out of his depth'. Do peoples personal opinions of the man really cloud their thinking so much?

Ammmm. You don't actually pay if you get promoted to the premier league, they give you upwards of 40 million sterling. But it seems you forgot about too. :rolleyes:

And they had a crystal ball when they gave him the job?? Oh and if you really want to go down that road do you think that them 41 players that were signed for in excess of £80m are playing for free, that £40m wouldnt be long going on a wage bill with a squad the size of half the premiership, but hey dont let the facts get in the way of a bit of Roymania

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

LOL. Why?? He got to the premiership and stayed in it. And would have likely stayed in it again. Thats not getting his feet wet? Seriously, he was certainly no messiah, but FFS, its like 'poor keane was out of his depth'. Do peoples personal opinions of the man really cloud their thinking so much?

+1

Hello pot my name is kettle :rolleyes:

And they had a crystal ball when they gave him the job?? Oh and if you really want to go down that road do you think that them 41 players that were signed for in excess of £80m are playing for free, that £40m wouldnt be long going on a wage bill with a squad the size of half the premiership, but hey dont let the facts get in the way of a bit of Roymania

But you are just going to completely dismiss the financial gain from getting promotion from bottom of the table? Ticket Sales, Merchandise, etc?

You have no idea how much they spent, stop qouting £80 million unless you can back it up.

Well seing that you cant see it about yourself

LOL. No problem, whatever floats yer boat.

...Oh and see my comment on waiting for the facts. And my admittance that I'd agree with you if Keane walked because of the pressure etc. As I said, Objectivity, try it.

Your right. clearly he's decided to resign because he was doing so well with Suunderland this season. Would likely have stay in again? There in the relegation zone. First sign of Keane coming under a bit of pressure and he walks? Sounds like he's out of his depth to me. Maybe the slight pressure he would of felt missing out on promotion would of helped him cope with it now. So far in his managerial career he hasnt gotten any, maybe thats why he struggled to deal with it adequatly.
    Do peoples personal opinions of the man really cloud their thinking so much?

This has been my thought reading most of your posts aswell.:pac:

Hello pot my name is kettle :rolleyes:

LOL. There you go again with those assumptions. You can't seem to fathom anything other than 'Keane Camp' or 'Anti-Keane camp'. Again, Objectivity, try it.

First sign of Keane coming under a bit of pressure and he walks?

Do you disregard just about everything to suit your own arguements or are you just slow?

Sunderland were in the relegation Zone with 16 games played last year and less points.

Honestly debate the thread, but don't make shíte up.

• Advertisement

But you are just going to completely dismiss the financial gain from getting promotion from bottom of the table? Ticket Sales, Merchandise, etc?

You have no idea how much they spent, stop qouting £80 million unless you can back it up.

No i am on record in this thread in saying that he was neither a good manager nor a bad manager, but an unproven manager that we should wait to judge, but it looks like we wont get the chance now because he walked away.

I dont have the link re. the £80m but it is widely accepted as an accurate figure of what he spent and quotes from the board would support this, again as I said earlier wasnt Roys fault he was given the money, personally think the board should have a good look at themselves in that regard.

I dont have the link re. the £80m but it is widely accepted as an accurate figure of what he spent and quotes from the board would support this, again as I said earlier wasnt Roys fault he was given the money, personally think the board should have a good look at themselves in that regard.

I have no problem if it is true, but back it up, even these qoutes from the board?

Don't just repeat what you hear on newstalk or in the rags?

Your right. clearly he's decided to resign because he was doing so well with Suunderland this season. Would likely have stay in again? There in the relegation zone. First sign of Keane coming under a bit of pressure and he walks? Sounds like he's out of his depth to me. Maybe the slight pressure he would of felt missing out on promotion would of helped him cope with it now. So far in his managerial career he hasnt gotten any, maybe thats why he struggled to deal with it adequatly.

And if you are right, then fine. He bottled it. I've no problem saying that. Why would I? That would be stupid.

This has been my thought reading most of your posts aswell.:pac:

Indeed, I think you suffer an affliction so many do. The Keane is God or Keane is the Devil disease. To me, Keane was a great player, and a good manager. Simple as really. Thought Alfie Halland incident was brutal. Wish he stuck around and bit his tongue in Saipan, but also understood his motivations. Think he has some some attitude issues, but also think he was a talent at his sport. See, some folk don't just operate in black and white.

LOL. There you go again with those assumptions. You can't seem to fathom anything other than 'Keane Camp' or 'Anti-Keane camp'. Again, Objectivity, try it.

You seem fairly good at the assumtions yourself Jimi, if youd bother to read the whole thread you would see where i said I liked the guy as a player, one of only three world class players to come out of this country ever, but that i disliked people lavishing with praise for winning the championship and that he was still an unproven manager, my views on what happened today have nothing to do with my personal opinion of Roy Keane and I can honestly say that if it was anyother manager in the same situation I would also be saying its bad form and that he obviously has a long way to go before he makes it as a good manager.

I have no problem if it is true, but back it up, even these qoutes from the board?

Don't just repeat what you hear on newstalk or in the rags?

Have you a conflicting figure you'd like to share with us?

You seem fairly good at the assumtions yourself Jimi, if youd bother to read the whole thread you would see where i said I liked the guy as a player, one of only three world class players to come out of this country ever, but that i disliked people lavishing with praise for winning the championship and that he was still an unproven manager, my views on what happened today have nothing to do with my personal opinion of Roy Keane and I can honestly say that if it was anyother manager in the same situation I would also be saying its bad form and that he obviously has a long way to go before he makes it as a good manager.

Nonsense if it was not Roy Keane, there would be no thread.

• Advertisement

Have you a conflicting figure you'd like to share with us?

No, I don't have any figure, therefore I won't pull one out of my arsé, do you see how that works?, just because I'm missing a fact, doesn't mean I shud make one up.

You said the figure, you back it up.

Nonsense if it was not Roy Keane, there would be no thread.

Probably not to this extent but my feelings would be the same a Roy Keane thread will always be far more heated and divided than any other, but to say there would be no thread about a manager walking out on a premiership club before christmass is a bit of an insult to this forum in fairness, I agree there would never be this amount of posts in it but hey thats Roy he'll always be news

Indeed, I think you suffer an affliction so many do. The Keane is God or Keane is the Devil disease. To me, Keane was a great player, and a good manager. Simple as really. Thought Alfie Halland incident was brutal. Wish he stuck around and bit his tongue in Saipan, but also understood his motivations. Think he has some some attitude issues, but also think he was a talent at his sport. See, some folk don't just operate in black and white.

You are forgetting that this is a soccer forum. Everything is either "crap" or "magnificent". Being evenhanded is a challenge - so most people don't bother!!

Is any manager 'proven' after 2 years? I would think not. What I would think, is that one would assess the record of the manager, and see potential etc. And here, we have a manager who took over a team at the bottom of the Championship. Won the chamionship. Then maintained Premier league status, and is one win away from the top half of the table. So why again are we arguing about his failings? What has he failed to do? Even if every signing he made was bad, his record in the results business has been decent enough to win the championshi, keep them in the PL and also keep them in touch with the Uefa cup places this season (Not saying he would have got Europe, we'll never know, but the table at the mo is so deceptive).

Dickson Etuhu £1,500,000
    Kieron Richardson £5,500,000
    Michael Chopra £5,000,000
    Russell Anderson £1,000,000
    Greg Halford £2,500,000
    Paul McShane £2,500,000
    Craig Gordon £9,000,000
    Roy O'Donovan Undisclosed
    Kenwyne Jones £6,000,000
    Danny Higginbotham £2,500,000

£38million

Phillip Bardsley £2million
    Rade Prica £2million
    Andy Reid £4million
    Pascal Chimbonda Undisclosed Fee
    Teemu Tainio Undisclosed Fee
    Steed Malbranque Undisclosed Fee
    El-Hadji Diouf £2.5million
    David Healy Undisclosed Fee
    Anton Ferdinand Undisclosed Fee
    George McCartney £4.5million

£15million

So we are at £53 million, add probaly £25 million on the all the undiscloed players and we are at £78 million.
    Do you disregard just about everything to suit your own arguements or are you just slow?

Sunderland were in the relegation Zone with 16 games played last year and less points.

Honestly debate the thread, but don't make shíte up.

Do you have a link to the December 07 table? Either way having spend another £35m this summer I think expectations were a bit higher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Something lacking in Keane's moral fibre, definitely.

I certainly dont think this view makes him out to be the devil.

I think fine is a perfect way to describe it actually. In my eyes he did what I expected him to do so wasnt a failure, and I dont think he pushed the club on or surpassed my expectations so he wasnt a success either. He'll definitly find another job if he wants it, but I doubt he'll find one in the premiership straight away.

Is any manager 'proven' after 2 years? I would think not. What I would think, is that one would assess the record of the manager, and see potential etc. And here, we have a manager who took over a team at the bottom of the Championship. Won the chamionship. Then maintained Premier league status, and is one win away from the top half of the table. So why again are we arguing about his failings? What has he failed to do? Even if every signing he made was bad, his record in the results business has been decent enough to win the championshi, keep them in the PL and also keep them in touch with the Uefa cup places this season (Not saying he would have got Europe, we'll never know, but the table at the mo is so deceptive).

Ok i think we're getting somewhere now because I kind of agree with alot of that, although it does look a little at the glass been half full rather than half empty, as i've already said thats all fine my problem is with what he did today, my reading of it is he couldnt handle the pressure, and i would say mediocrity does not sit well with him, whereas you seem quite sure that something else is behind this. I guess time will tell which of us is right.

You are forgetting that this is a soccer forum. Everything is either "crap" or "magnificent". Being evenhanded is a challenge - so most people don't bother!!

:) Certainly an eye opener at times alright.

Dickson Etuhu £1,500,000
    Greg Halford £2,500,000
    Paul McShane £2,500,000
    Craig Gordon £9,000,000
    Kenwyne Jones £6,000,000

£38million

Rade Prica £2million
    Andy Reid £4million

£15million

So we are at £53 million, add probaly £25 million on the all the undiscloed players and we are at £78 million.

And all those figures are completely accurate, you have access to the Clubs books, or is just access to wikipedia you have?

:rolleyes:
    Do you have a link to the December 07 table? Either way having spend another £35m this summer I think expectations were a bit higher.

Plenty sites will give you the table for December 07. Do your own work. :pac:

16 played, 13 points, -18 Goals, 3rd Last. 09-12-2007

15 played, 15 points, -11 Goals, 3rd Last. 04-12-2008

Add to that the tightness of the table this year and it's not lunacy to think he could have got them above 15th, When he took over it was a 5 year plan if I remember correctly.

Add to that the tightness of the table this year and it's not lunacy to think he could have got them above 15th, When he took over it was a 5 year plan if I remember correctly.

So thats two points better off than last season, yes im assuming that utd will thump them on saturday, so £35m gets you 2 points, fcuk it why didnt they just give him another £500m they would have won the shagg*n thing :D

So thats two points better off than last season, yes im assuming that utd will thump them on saturday, so £35m gets you 2 points, fcuk it why didnt they just give him another £500m they would have won the shagg*n thing :D

Shud that "35 million" judgement not kick in until the end of the season, If your being fair like???

And all those figures are completely accurate, you have access to the Clubs books, or is just access to wikipedia you have?

:rolleyes:

oh dear..

good work.

Shud that "35 million" judgement not kick in until the end of the season, If your being fair like???

Well, since he walked out now I think it should kick in now, being fair like.

oh dear..

So those figures are spot on, we can take them as golden??
    Well, since he walked out now I think it should kick in now, being fair like.

IF you think so.

• Advertisement

Ok i think we're getting somewhere now because I kind of agree with alot of that, although it does look a little at the glass been half full rather than half empty,

Again, I'm just curious to know what would be considered success, if what he has done so far is not considered sucessful. I certainly didn't expect him to win promotion the way he did, but on the basis of that, I did expect him to stay in the PL, which he did. Success so far I imagine. Maybe more was expected? I don't know.
    as i've already said thats all fine my problem is with what he did today, my reading of it is he couldnt handle the pressure, and i would say mediocrity does not sit well with him,

I have no problem with that quote right there. Thats a valid opinion, and if your 'reading of it', is correct, then its bad on Keanes part, certainly.
    whereas you seem quite sure that something else is behind this.

Nope, I'm sure of nothing. Keanes always come across as a man with a mental toughness and resolve, so I said I'd be surprised if its 'the pressure is getting to me'. I certainly don't rule it out. However, there have been rumours of transfer policy changing etc etc, which Keane would have issue with, so it could be something like this too. At the end of the day, he's not conducted himself very well this week, with his vague comments about 'Am I the man for the job' etc. I imagine he knows the media frenzy comments like that create. However, maybe he knew things were changing that he didn't like etc. I've made no pronouncements about what it is, just talked about the various factors that it could be. Your point being as likely as the rest.
    I guess time will tell which of us is right.
    Well, I haven't said why he walked one way or the other, so I've nothing to be right about.

Dickson Etuhu £1,500,000
    Greg Halford £2,500,000
    Paul McShane £2,500,000
    Craig Gordon £9,000,000
    Kenwyne Jones £6,000,000

£38million

Rade Prica £2million
    Andy Reid £4million

£15million

Any players sold? If so, for how much total?

So those figures are spot on, we can take them as golden??

Well obviously not since I dont have access to the clubs books. :rolleyes:

Any players sold? If so, for how much total?

Nope.

Summer 2007 transfer:
    http://www.premiershiplatest.com/transfers/premiership/summer-2007/confirmed-reading-sunderland-tottenham-hotspur.html

January 2008 transfers:
    http://www.premiershiplatest.com/transfer-centre/jan-2008/confirmed/reading-sunderland-tottenham

Summer 2008:
    http://www.premiershiplatest.com/transfers/premiership/summer-2007/confirmed-reading-sunderland-tottenham-hotspur.html

The times in this article here: Link have Anton Ferdinands fee as £8million.

Nope.

Someone would want to tell Danny Higginbotham then.

You think Roy will get more points as Sunderland manager between now and the end of the season fair enough, personally I would say its a long shot ;)

You think Roy will get more points as Sunderland manager between now and the end of the season fair enough, personally I would say its a long shot ;)

Never said anything about points, said it wasn't beyond them to finish higher than 15th.

I don't think the premeirship will be won by the same amount of points as last year, does that make it any less of a win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

While they are at it, they should have a word with Dickson Etuhu as well. He was sold for the same amount of money he was bought for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I thought Keane would have stayed to the end of the season at least. He's obviously had a look at the situation, assessed it, and decided that he didn't have enough backing or quality in the squad for the fight. This is a damming indictment of his transfer dealing, as he was fully backed by the board in his dealings and he paid over the odds for a few players (Ferdinand, Chopra).
    In terms of the positive he won them the championship in his first season and kept them in the Premiership in their first season up.
    As far as this season goes, yes they're in a bad position now but the league is incredibly open so far this year. Things should settle down post Christmas and I think they have enough about them to stay up.
    His next move will be interesting.

Dickson Etuhu £1,500,000 Flop. Didn't rise to PL standard.
    Kieron Richardson £5,500,000 Good Signing.
    Michael Chopra £5,000,000 Overpriced, but got some crucial goals.
    Russell Anderson £1,000,000 Who?:)
    Greg Halford £2,500,000 See above.
    Paul McShane £2,500,000 Thought it was good at the time. But then realised how crap he was
    Craig Gordon £9,000,000 Pricey yes. But definately a good signing.
    Kenwyne Jones £6,000,000 good signing.
    Danny Higginbotham £2,500,000 not too bad.

£38million

Phillip Bardsley £2million decent enough.
    Rade Prica £2million Flop.
    Andy Reid £4million great buy.
    Pascal Chimbonda Undisclosed Fee Good signing
    Teemu Tainio Undisclosed Fee Decent signing.
    Steed Malbranque Undisclosed Fee Good signing.
    El-Hadji Diouf £2.5million risky signing, certainly not 'bad' though.
    David Healy Undisclosed Fee Hmmm. Championship player really.
    Anton Ferdinand Undisclosed Fee Good signing.
    George McCartney £4.5million not sure. Been injured a while.

£15million

Overall its not a bad bunch. Certainly not the pile of muck its made out to be. Few squad players, and a few quality 1st teamers IMO.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    While they are at it, they should have a word with Dickson Etuhu as well. He was sold for the same amount of money he was bought for.

Both marked as undisclosed on the sites I checked. however wiki has Higgnbothams as £2.5 Etuhu's as the same price. So we are happy now to go with wiki then boggles?

Advertisement