Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who goes first - Ince or Keane? Hoped you voted Keane - All discussion in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Both marked as undisclosed on the sites I checked. however wiki has Higgnbothams as £2.5 Etuhu's as the same price. So we are happy now to go with wiki then boggles?

No Chucky I didn't qoute a figure, I used the fact that he was sold to Stoke, meaning a nominal cash sum changed hands.

What you did was say Sunderland have recouped "none" as in zero money?

Pighead also qouted a player that was sold, again refutting your solid claims further that nothing has been recouped.

Unless they were exchanged for magic beans?

You know the difference between small and far away don't you? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Boggles wrote: »
    No Chucky I didn't qoute a figure, I used the fact that he was sold to Stoke, meaning a nominal cash sum changed hands.

What you did was say Sunderland have recouped "none" as in zero money?

Pighead also qouted a player that was sold, again refutting your solid claims further that nothing has been recouped.

Unless they were exchanged for magic beans?

You know the difference between small and far away don't you? ;)

How do you know a sum of money changed hands? Do you have access to book clubs books? Do fill us in on the price then.

How do you know a sum of money changed hands? Do you have access to book clubs books? Do fill us in on the price then.

Of Course not, I'm not you.

Okay I'll give you an example.

Chucky I will sell you my car, the price is 0. You accept.

Now did I sell you my car or did I really just give it to you for free?

Did Roy Keane give those 2 players away for 0 (free)? Why not check the books? ;)

Of Course not, I'm not you.

Okay I'll give you an example.

Chucky I will sell you my car, the price is 0. You accept.

Now did I sell you my car or did I really just give it to you for free?

Did Roy Keane give those 2 players away for 0 (free)? Why not check the books? ;)

Who said they were sold? They were transfered.

You can transfer you car to me for an undisclosed fee, we will both know the cost is zero but we I am sure you dont want to tell this to your wife you gave your car away for free so you can just tell you cant disclose the fee so she will think you got some money for it. I dont have the books, never said I did.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm very surprised at this. I don't know the whole story but there must have been some problem between Keane and Quinn.

Either way I hope they headhunt Paul Ince now and give Blackburn a chance to stay up. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Roy Keane has been offered a job at Coca-Cola, they're always looking for bottlers......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I do think Keane has the ability to be a good manager but I feel his major flaw was that he was poor in the transfer market. He bought to many poor players.

I think he will be back and that he will be a success. I expect him to manage the Irish team one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Dickson Etuhu £1,500,000
    Kieron Richardson £5,500,000
    Michael Chopra £5,000,000
    Russell Anderson £1,000,000
    Greg Halford £2,500,000
    Paul McShane £2,500,000
    Craig Gordon £9,000,000
    Roy O'Donovan Undisclosed
    Kenwyne Jones £6,000,000
    Danny Higginbotham £2,500,000

£38million

Phillip Bardsley £2million
    Rade Prica £2million
    Andy Reid £4million
    Pascal Chimbonda Undisclosed Fee
    Teemu Tainio Undisclosed Fee
    Steed Malbranque Undisclosed Fee
    El-Hadji Diouf £2.5million
    David Healy Undisclosed Fee
    Anton Ferdinand Undisclosed Fee
    George McCartney £4.5million

£15million

So we are at £53 million, add probaly £25 million on the all the undiscloed players and we are at £78 million.

Do you have a link to the December 07 table? Either way having spend another £35m this summer I think expectations were a bit higher.

When you think about it, Man City have spent over 40m on 2 players and they aren't doing much better.Tottenham spend millions each season adn have done so for several years. Keane has done a good job, considering that he was buying players to get out of the Championship first, then to survive in the premiership, and this year it was for a mid table finish. The players he bought can achieve that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

they still have a good side, though. They're just not working as a team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

u forgot cisse in that list chucky. bout 8m i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Jazzy wrote: »
    u forgot cisse in that list chucky. bout 8m i think
    Think that was a season long loan deal.

titan18 wrote: »
    When you think about it, Man City have spent over 40m on 2 players and they aren't doing much better.Tottenham spend millions each season adn have done so for several years. Keane has done a good job, considering that he was buying players to get out of the Championship first, then to survive in the premiership, and this year it was for a mid table finish. The players he bought can achieve that

Hughes isnt far off getting the bullet and SPurs already sacked there manager, in saying that expectations for those clubs were alot higher. I'd also add that if Quiin had sacked KEane rather then him resigning I'd feel it would be to harsh.

Yea cisse is only a loan deal, one thing I got right.:o :pac:

I do think Keane has the ability to be a good manager but I feel his major flaw was that he was poor in the transfer market. He bought to many poor players.

I think he will be back and that he will be a success. I expect him to manage the Irish team one day.

Your post is ridiculous, laced with contradictions.

Ability to become a good manager? Yet his major flaw was buying too many poor players.

Manage the Irish team one day? I really hope not unless its our neighbours north of the border:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

i've always stood up for roy,through thick and thin,but he's really pushing my loyalty to the limit this time.
    does eamonn dunphy know something we don't? he seems to have turned on his "best buddy" at just the right time,he's smelling of roses!

bloody good loan move for them then.

i dunno, i dont think the players are really stepping up. they should be mid table

This is by no means is the end of the Keano story, just another chapter.

I think for a first time manager and what he has achieved in a little over 2 years is very good, not astounding but not the disaster some muppets on here have been bleating.

I could be wrong but I don't think a first time manager has achieved as much as Keane has done at Sunderland or any other club in such a short space of time. Some of his signings have been questionable, but I don't think any manager is above that. Sunderland geographical is a **** hole, a newly promoted club is not going to attract the big name or game players, especially when they don't have the wage structure or status of the like of Newcastle.

70 - 80 million is nonsense thou, especially when you consider most of the transfers where undisclosed or "could rise to x amount", the figure is probably closer 50m, a figure put into perspective when you apply the huge financial boast the club recieved from an unexpected promotion.

I have no idea why he left Sunderland, maybe he has another offer, maybe it is personal reasons, maybe mental reasons, we may never know, one thing is for sure Keane will rise again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I could be wrong but I don't think a first time manager has achieved as much as Keane has done at Sunderland or any other club in such a short space of time.

Dalglish won the league and FA cup in his first season as a manager.

Ince was not too bad either for that matter.

Dalglish won the league and FA cup in his first season as a manager.

Did Daglish not inherit a team that had just won the league?

I was more talking first time managers who took over from a team at the bottom of one division, and won it in there 1st stint.

Now you are moving the goalposts and setting some pretty tight criteria, what day did he start the job, was it a Wednesday, we can add that to the criteria too.

And to answer your question. No he did not inherit a team that had just won the championship.

Now you are moving the goalposts and setting some pretty tight criteria, what day did he start the job, was it a Wednesday, we can add that to the criteria too.

I thought the criteria was obvious, but if you want to add Dalglish then fine, Keane is in good company.
    And to answer your question. No he did not inherit a team that had just won the championship.

Sorry it was the European Cup they had just won. They won the league the year before.

• Advertisement

I thought the criteria was obvious (I could be wrong but I don't think a first time manager has achieved as much as Keane has done at Sunderland or any other club in such a short space of time.)

Fairly broad criteria to me TBH.

Sorry it was the European Cup they had just won.

Nope, but keep trying. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ah come on now, i'm no sunderland fan, but you cannot be comaparing the liverpool team Dalglish took over to the sunderland team keane took over.

seriously?

there is a world of difference.

Nope, but keep trying. :)

Okay I looked it up, it was the 83-84 they did the treble, not bad from memory thou. :cool:

Des wrote: »
    ah come on now, i'm no sunderland fan, but you cannot be comaparing the liverpool team Dalglish took over to the sunderland team keane took over.

seriously?

there is a world of difference.

True, some would argue what Keane did was more impressive. :pac:

Yes there are people who argue that spending 50-80 mill or so and creating a team that languishes around the bottom of the premiership is more impressive than winning the league and the FA cup. I do not think that they are allowed to go out on their won though :)

No doubt, but that was not what was said Des.

No doubt, but that was not what was said Des.

It was clarified.

Only afterwards.

Well Doc Brown get in the Delorean and I will clarify it before my post. ;)

I woud really love one of those cars. Anyway, keane gone then, that's a blow to Sunderland.

• Advertisement

I woud really love one of those cars. Anyway, keane gone then, that's a blow to Sunderland.

Quin actually mentioned sacked (let it slip) could be innocent, and payment package if I'm not mistaken.

thats like wat, 10 posts on essentially nothing there?
    football was quite different 24 years ago. thing is boggles, dalglish went on to become one of the best managers :p i think eventually keane will be a great manager, id love to see him become fergies #2 for instance.

dalglish went on to become one of the best managers

There was no one arguing that.

Just the different levels of teams inherited. Which I think is a valid point. But keep it to the history of the premiership so if you want and I think Keane is up there with best debut season as a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gotta love F365 -
    "(The media) keep asking me about being a quitter and I don't think I am a quitter" - Roy Keane, November 29.

"I had a three-year plan in my mind when I took over and now it's probably going to be a bit longer" - Roy Keane, November 18.

"There is no uncertainty, I am in negotiations with the club and I am sure things will be sorted. It is nobody's business, my contract situation. It is a matter between me and the board. Myself, Niall Quinn (chairman) and the people involved are the most relaxed people in the world about it...People put two and two together and come up with 10. It is just stupid" - Roy Keane, November 15.

"Where do the stories come from? I honestly haven't got a clue. It is just crazy. The answer is obviously no. I am very happy and obviously even happier when we win football matches. But these stories that I am not happy or that I am resigning is just nonsense" - Roy Keane, November 15.

And there's this gem in the mailbox -
    Perhaps Take Into Account Where This Chap Is From...

I'm a Liverpool fan & I'd take Roy as manager any day of the week.

Well done to Sunderland for getting rid of the best manager ye ever had.

Roy will have teams fighting over each other to get him as manager.

Every manager gets the sack at some stage,just goes to show what sort of clowns are in charge of that club.

Cork is still very proud of you Roy.

You were captain of the biggest club in the world during their most successful period ever & you have forgotten more about football then most people will ever know.

You are a legend & I hope you are back in football soon.

It is a poorer,more clichéd place without you.

Gussy,Cork

Comedy gold

There was no one arguing that.

Just the different levels of teams inherited. Which I think is a valid point. But keep it to the history of the premiership so if you want and I think Keane is up there with best debut season as a manager.

yeah i know, i think he did well too. for the environment that hes in i think hes done a very good job. despite him leaving now i dont think sunderland will be relegated and i think they will be a stable PL team for the next 4/5 years.

my point was more that arguing the difference between keane and dalglish's first season is completely pointless as its different eras, different divisions, different football culture and different types of appointments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Have to wonder if the sunderland jerseys will still be sold in the likes of champion,lifestyle etc this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Have to wonder if the sunderland jerseys will still be sold in the likes of champion,lifestyle etc this time next year.

I really doubt it!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Comedy gold

Says the guy with Xavi as his name and a barcelona shirt as his avatar giving us his balanced views on a certain Barcelona player on another thread :rolleyes:

At least Gussy supports his countrymen, unlike Gringo here!

Loco wrote: »
    Says the guy with Xavi as his name and a barcelona shirt as his avatar giving us his balanced views on a certain Barcelona player on another thread :rolleyes:

Ah I see so you won't be commenting on any other players because you're Keane lover? I'll keep an eye that you don't cause you wouldn't come across as a hypocrit or anything....
    At least Gussy supports his countrymen, unlike Gringo here!

Gringo? Please explain.

And btw, just cause someone's Irish doesn't mean you have to support them. That's in fact the lamest reason to.

Ah I see so you won't be commenting on any other players because you're Keane lover?
    Isn't there a Boards.es for you or something?! :D
    Gringo? Please explain.
    Look it up.

Isn't there a Boards.es for you or something?! :D

No.

Isn't there a boards.org.uk for talk on English clubs? Oh yeah actually there is.
    Look it up.

I know what it means, and it's not necessarily a pleasant term so could be viewed as abuse....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

On tv this morning that Roy apparently quit via text message after refusing to take Niall Quinn's repeated attempts to phone him on Wednesday! I can picture him hiding behind the couch, fingers in his ears, going "LALALALALALALALA i can't hear you" while the phone rings out!

Good God who would ever employ him again after this?

Isn't there a boards.org.uk for talk on English clubs? Oh yeah actually there is.
    Oh yeah? Actually? Perhaps I should go there for discussion with less sensitive posters :p
    Any team with Xavi in it is going to be the best tbh
    Comedy Gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

thats like wat, 10 posts on essentially nothing there?
    football was quite different 24 years ago. thing is boggles, dalglish went on to become one of the best managers :p i think eventually keane will be a great manager, id love to see him become fergies #2 for instance.

Problem will be that Sir Alex will likely retire before he turns 100

Comedy Gold

Spain - Best team at Euro 2008. Player of the Tournament? Well I'm sure you can fill in the blank on that one.

Spain - Best team at Euro 2008. Player of the Tournament? Well I'm sure you can fill in the blank on that one.

Oh my god you were actually serious?! :D

Xavi, start up a new thread about Xavi, and i'll discuss with you in there(doubt it!).

Oh my god you were actually serious?! :D

Facts are facts.
    Xavi, start up a new thread about Xavi, and i'll discuss with you in there(doubt it!).

Knock yourself out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Keane = Quitter FACT

I have been one of his supporters for i dont know how long and i am astounded by his decision to quit. He will never manage a big team now because he is a quitter when it gets tough or so it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Killme00 wrote: »
    Keane = Quitter FACT

I have been one of his supporters for i dont know how long and i am astounded by his decision to quit. He will never manage a big team now because he is a quitter when it gets tough or so it seems.
    The thing is you don't really know if he quit or not, he may have been forced out. There might have been problems behind the scene that we don't know about.
    I don't think he quit unless there was a good reason. I would be shocked if he just decided to up and leave because he could not handle the pressure. I don't think the man knows the word quit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Keane did pretty welll for his first job in charge. Out of the championship and survived the first season in the premiership.

Keane's problem IMO is not what he paid for players or who he bought -at the end of the day attracting any player to the sh!thole that is Sunderland is a miracle - and Keane attracted some decent players. Keane's problem is that he signed too many players and he didn't help them gel and bond as a team.

Take Harry Redknapp, he has this uncanny ability to be placed in decent but underperforming squads and get a result. Like the man or not, he instils confidence in his players. Same goes with Ferguson, despite the complete baulking they get at times, they get the arm around the shoulder and the pat on the back.

Keane is not a man manager. He comes across as a guy who expects all his players to be as hard/tough as he percieves himself to be. Neither his comments to the press nor his demeanor on the sidelines really suggested he had any bond with his team.

Probably bullsh!t but an interesting piece of "gossip" from tribalfootball..

http://tribalfootball.com/keane-kung-fu-kick-was-final-straw-sunderland-players-214852

An amazing kung-fu kick by Roy Keane was the final straw for Sunderland players, it has been revealed.

The Sun says at half-time during one game this season, Keane asked one of his assistants to set up the tactics board while he disappeared into the toilet.

He returned to launch a kung-fu kick at the object, sending it flying into the wall of the dressing room.

He then called three different players a ‘c***’ and took a swipe at another one, only just missing his jaw.

The Black Cats men had got used to Keane losing his rag but this was the final straw for many.

It's also alleged that one top boss refused to send Keane a player on loan because he thought the whole situation under him at Sunderland was too unstable.

On tv this morning that Roy apparently quit via text message after refusing to take Niall Quinn's repeated attempts to phone him on Wednesday! I can picture him hiding behind the couch, fingers in his ears, going "LALALALALALALALA i can't hear you" while the phone rings out!

Good God who would ever employ him again after this?

:rolleyes:

I heard on maybe a tv that Keane was actually Elvis and he signed a new contract with Vegas and thats why he had to quit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement