Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

match thread liverpool v west ham

123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Het-Field wrote: »
    10 Seasons since West Ham last got a point at Anfield.

As a die hard Hammers fan, all i can say is yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesss

James Collins, Matty Upson, Robert Green and Craig Bellamy are heroes

Im Forever Blowing Bubbles

Pretty Bubbles in the air

United United !!!

Whoop di do!

All in all, i think W-ham are definite relegation fodder. I can't think of three worse teams than them. I'd be delighted too with a point but wouldn't be singing anything after that diplay. Terrible doesn't come cloe to describing it. And i'm not even a liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Dave! wrote: »
    ROFL

Did that happen tonight?!?! :eek: I must have missed that

wtf is he doing?!
    Didn't ya hear? it's fashionable to fúck up hilariously now if you're a seminal top 4 player. Ronaldo and Gerrard were this week's news, next week we'll see Lampard and Fabregas attempt similar acts of footballing folly:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Freeze my ass off for hours and all for a single point. Gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

lordgoat wrote: »
    Whoop di do!

All in all, i think W-ham are definite relegation fodder. I can't think of three worse teams than them. I'd be delighted too with a point but wouldn't be singing anything after that diplay. Terrible doesn't come cloe to describing it. And i'm not even a liverpool fan.

Stoke City
    Sunderland
    Blackburn with Ince
    West Bromwich Albion
    Fulham

There is five for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fulham are better than West Ham tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

West Ham have some decent players, some poor players, and some terrible players. They seem to have a basic grasp of counter attacking football though, in fairness to them. After a few months, Zola seems to have gotten his point across better than Benitez has in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Bateman wrote: »
    West Ham have some decent players, some poor players, and some terrible players. They seem to have a basic grasp of counter attacking football though, in fairness to them. After a few months, Zola seems to have gotten his point across better than Benitez has in years.

I nominate this post for worst post of 2008...

So a draw where they put 10 men behind the ball for the whole game makes Zola a better manager than Rafa... we'll just ignore the constant improvement Liverpool have shown under Rafa. Wouldn't want to let facts get in the way of your liverpool baiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Constant improvement? Everything has a nickname I suppose. By the way, I never said Zola was a better manager than the beloved Rafa, but don't restrict your conclusions to people's actual posts.

When bottom half teams visit the home of top 4 teams, they tend to put eleven men behind the ball for most of the game, yeah, get over it. Most United fans I know didn't grumble when Villa did it, you have to be good enough to break these teams down. Apart from Alonso, Liverpool proved utterly incapable of summoning any kind of guile tonight, the kind you need to win these games. And with Fulham and Stoke having managed the same feat so far this season, I'd say Liverpool still haven't grasped whatever it is that's needed to win these games. Having Babel on the bench for so long was baffling (unless he was injured?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

You said that Zola has gotten his point across better in a few months than Benitez has in years... i can only assume you mean he gets his point across to his players better which is pretty much one of the most important aspect of management so surely that makes Zola a better manager in your eyes... If you don't think that Liverpool have been improving under Rafa then you're blind, simple as that. The team has improved and our play has improved in general.

Of course West Ham were going to come and put 10 men behind the ball and I agree that Pool lacked the guile tonight to break them down but shockingly they have actually won a few games this season when teams have "parked the bus", but feel free to ignore that since you're unlikely to get the desired reaction from pool fans if you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Constant improvement? Everything has a nickname I suppose. By the way, I never said Zola was a better manager than the beloved Rafa, but don't restrict your conclusions to people's actual posts.

When bottom half teams visit the home of top 4 teams, they tend to put eleven men behind the ball for most of the game, yeah, get over it. Most United fans I know didn't grumble when Villa did it, you have to be good enough to break these teams down. Apart from Alonso, Liverpool proved utterly incapable of summoning any kind of guile tonight, the kind you need to win these games. And with Fulham and Stoke having managed the same feat so far this season, I'd say Liverpool still haven't grasped whatever it is that's needed to win these games. Having Babel on the bench for so long was baffling (unless he was injured?).

2006 / 7 after 15 premiership games: 21 points
    2007 / 8 after 15 premiership games: 30 points
    2008 / 9 after 15 premiership games: 34 points

120px-GTFO.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Penalty!!!!!!!

rofl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    2006 / 7 after 15 premiership games: 21 points
    2007 / 8 after 15 premiership games: 30 points
    2008 / 9 after 15 premiership games: 34 points

quoting those stats are pointless

each season we have what's called fixture lists

each year they're different...

it's irrelvant

having 34 points after 15 is bloody fantastic.

now lets see what happens after 38

ffs

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Fulham are better than West Ham tbh

Terribly off topic I know. However,

Fulham Best starting 11

Schqarzer

Pantsil
    Hangland
    Hughes
    Konchesky

Davies
    Murphy
    Bullard
    Gera

Zamora
    Johnson

West Ham Starting 11

Green

Neill
    Upson
    Collins
    Illunga

Dyer
    Parker
    Noble
    Behrami

Ashton
    Bellamy

The fact that West Ham have already beaten Fulham at Craven Cottege is further proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That's not proof. Stoke beat Arsenal. Are they better? League position and form says that Fulham are better and that's what matters. Third best defence in the league I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

west ham also have a habit of being less then the sum of their parts. And im not sure Dyer can be counted just yet..

I would wait till the end of the season for ruling on West Ham.

I firmly believe that they are the one premiership team that the other 19 look at as a potential 4-6 points. This of course is before the season starts.

I simply dont agree, and admit im biased, that the Hammers are for the drop.

Even if you take Fulham from the equation, you could easily replace them with Newcastle United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would wait till the end of the season for ruling on West Ham.

I firmly believe that they are the one premiership team that the other 19 look at as a potential 4-6 points. This of course is before the season starts.

I simply dont agree, and admit im biased, that the Hammers are for the drop.

Even if you take Fulham from the equation, you could easily replace them with Newcastle United.

i'm confused - you say they aren't for the drop, but that every other prem team would fancy their chances to get 4 to 6 points off them. How can a team considered to be quite beatable home and away not be a team in relegation problems?

i'm confused - you say they aren't for the drop, but that every other prem team would fancy their chances to get 4 to 6 points off them. How can a team considered to be quite beatable home and away not be a team in relegation problems?

As I said, teams fancy their chances. It has no reasonable belief, other than West Ham have a record of dropping crazy points here and there. However, over the season, this doesnt happen sufficiently to render West Ham as relegation material, and the Hammers usually deliver.

I would say that Sunderland saw the West Ham fixture as a three pointer, and yet they got none. Ditto Liverpool, who had to share the spoils.

Its a mentality rather then a well founded belief that the Hammers are beatable.

As I said, teams fancy their chances. It has no reasonable belief, other than West Ham have a record of dropping crazy points here and there. However, over the season, this doesnt happen sufficiently to render West Ham as relegation material, and the Hammers usually deliver.

I would say that Sunderland saw the West Ham fixture as a three pointer, and yet they got none. Ditto Liverpool, who had to share the spoils.

Its a mentality rather then a well founded belief that the Hammers are beatable.
    They only stayed up season before last thanks to beating us on the last day of the season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

spockety wrote: »
    Well Rafa has taken it pragmatically, that's good enough for me:

""The crowd can be disappointed because they've seen a draw at home but if they see the newspapers tomorrow they will see we are top."

He knows it was just temporary venting. There was no real venom in the boos. No "you don't know what you're doing get out of our club" etc. It was booing out of serious disappointment, not serious anger.

I'm fairly sure I heard chants of "you don't know what you're doing" when Rafa brought on Ngog for Keane. Not exactly universal shouts, but they were there. can't say if they were coming from West Ham fans taking the pish though or not.

I think the performance was tepid, unimaginative and horrible. However, I think any booing was a venting of frustration and disappointment. I wouldn't agree with the booing at all, but it was a horrible performance on top of 2 horrible performances in a season where we have not really performed well in many games at all imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Most United fans I know didn't grumble when Villa did it, you have to be good enough to break these teams down. (unless he was injured?).

Eh WTF are you on about??? if you are commenting on Villa's 0-0 draw the other week Villa were equal if not better, none of this ten men behind the ball ****e! Really put it up to them,

As for last night, what is Rafa doing with Keane- any player who knows he'll only be playing for 60-70mins max is going to be struggling for confidence, I think the treatment of Keane has been really bad. He's always going to be looking over his shoulder, and even more anxious to score, what he needs is time and confidence which comes from Rafa.

Its been a very funny season with all the top 4 really struggling. Liverpool find themselves top after only playing a few good games. If they don't start to play Keane for 90mins and give Babel a run out soon they'll be chasing the tails of Utd and Chelsea and be out of it in no time, those two teams are going to hit form very soon and go on a long run me thinks. Although in saying that I've thought as much for the past month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

boards.ie shocker liverpool drop points and there is a massive thread.

except it is mainly liverpool fans this time, isn't it. Haven't been reading the thread religiously, but i don't think people have been trying to stick the boot in.

They only stayed up season before last thanks to beating us on the last day of the season.

Not True. West Ham were fouth from bottom going into the last day with the Blunts sitting one place below. Sheffield United's loss to Wigan ensured they went down, and rendered the victory up at Man Utd virtually redundant. Having said that, I have great admiration and respect for Man Utd. They should have gone out of their way to relegate West Ham after 1992 and 1995, however, they gave the Hammers every possible chance.

Either way, better the Hammers then ****field United anyday

except it is mainly liverpool fans this time, isn't it. Haven't been reading the thread religiously, but i don't think people have been trying to stick the boot in.

I think it's all a little redundant at this early stage. Because, while we are left to rue nine points dropped:

Stoke H
    Spurs A
    Fulham H
    West Ham H

that were there for the taking with a little more competence and precision. We must also be honest about the nine points gained:

Boro H
    Wigan H
    City A

partly due to getting a few bounces in our favor at the key moments.

I'm off to Eindhoven next week to watch us play PSV and am hoping that, given the low pressure context of the tie, we can perform with a greater degree of freedom and build some confidence for the Christmas run in. As ever, we'll see. Long way to go - and we're still in the hunt.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Except in the PSV tie I expect us to have a near Carling Cup type team in place as much as the limited squad for CL matches allows anyhow.

5starpool wrote: »
    Except in the PSV tie I expect us to have a near Carling Cup type team in place as much as the limited squad for CL matches allows anyhow.

Well, still going to have 6 or more 'first team' starters. And any flowing performance (with changes or without) would help the squad as a whole in the confidence department.

5starpool wrote: »

Isn't the liverpool CL squad quite inexperienced after the first 16 or so - remember reading something about the new rules 8 association grown and 4 home grown players needing to be picked in each squad, and Liverpool fell foul of this the most out od the english teams - with Hyppia being the biggest casualty of the rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Isn't the liverpool CL squad quite inexperienced after the first 16 or so - remember reading something about the new rules 8 association grown and 4 home grown players needing to be picked in each squad, and Liverpool fell foul of this the most out od the english teams - with Hyppia being the biggest casualty of the rule

yup, no room for any of our best youths so it'll be more out of the framers starting id say, Babel, Ngog, Lucas, Yossi etc. Pity though, as it would be a fantastic learning experience for the likes of Pacheco, Insua and Nemeth. At least Darby should get a chance at rb maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpools Champions League Squad
    Goalkeepers
    No. Name
    1 Diego Cavalieri »
    25 Pepe Reina »

Defenders
    No. Name
    2 Andrea Dossena »
    5 Daniel Agger »
    12 Fábio Aurélio »