Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Killaloe

• 30-11-2008 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hey guys, need some help if possible!

I've been offered a role in Killaloe, pretty good money - 45k Euros

So that is fine and the job is one I enjoy so again that's fine, my only concern, I googled Killaloe and can find god information on it.

I'm a 25 year old single male - do you think a place like Killaloe would be very quiet for me? I'm born and brought up in London and I admit I like quiet places but I wanted to know generally, if it is that quiet or there are people to meet and places to go out there in the night like clubs etc?

Any info would be cool on the area for a single guy like me -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Hi, its a quite place alright, but its in a very very beautiful place, in the country, you wouldn't be far from Limerick city which can be good to go out to clubs etc,
    im 28 myself, i myself personally wouldn't live there, it would be a bit quite for me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know if you'll find god there :)

A friend of mine lives there and loves it, there's a great local community there, and there's ever a friendly rivalery between the 2 sides of the river. If you don't like it there it's only a short drive from Limerick or Ennis so it's not the end of the world, and even if you do hate it you have the money and expierence :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It's pretty much a village. Now it's lively enough, and there's alot of people come from all over the place at the weekends cos it's chock full of holiday homes, but it's still a village.

Still if the money is good you can always afford to grab a taxi to Limerick now and then. There are definately a fair few young people around there. I used to work with a load of Killaloe people and they were absolutely sound. One of em had two sisters who were models and was a total lasher. Sob.. should have gotten phone number.

The foods good too! Anybody know the name of that place does breakfast on the left after you go over the bridge from the Ennis side? Best breakfast in Clare. Nyom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

The foods good too! Anybody know the name of that place does breakfast on the left after you go over the bridge from the Ennis side? Best breakfast in Clare. Nyom!

after you go over the bridge you are in tipperary so you are not talking about about the best breakfast in clare .
    anyhow it is called Simply Delicious, , the Coffee Pot just before the bridge , if you want to support the banner

loads more on both sides of the bridge

hollisterb wrote: »

So that is fine and the job is one I enjoy so again that's fine, my only concern, I googled Killaloe and can find god information on it.

I'm a 25 year old single male - do you think a place like Killaloe would be very quiet for me? I'm born and brought up in London and I admit I like quiet places but I wanted to know generally, if it is that quiet or there are people to meet and places to go out there in the night like clubs etc?

AFAIK not any clubs, some good bars & I.m sure you would very be made welcome by the locals as mentioned loads of good restaurants, & of course loads of water sports/activity etc, fishing , a tennis club although membership might limited, local sporting clubs & community groups

about about 15/20 minutes from Limerick & the same from Nenagh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

Killaloe is a fair size town. There is a nightclub, Sergeant Jacks IIRC but it may have changed name. Brendan Grace has a pub down there too, was in it once, wasnt bad. Marios takeaway over the bridge in ballina do lovely chips aswell. Only 20 mins to nenagh if you fancy a change of scene, close to limerick city also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hollisterb

I guess it's not really multi-cultural? I'm italian - get to see faces from other sides of the world?

I could use that to my advantage!

Is there a college or university there? If not, would the nearest one be Limerick?

I don't drive - would that be a problem?

I guess it's not really multi-cultural? I'm italian - get to see faces from other sides of the world?

I could use that to my advantage!

Is there a college or university there? If not, would the nearest one be Limerick?

I don't drive - would that be a problem?

St Annes community College is a secondary school & yes you will indeed see faces from outside Ireland , not as many now as when the building boom of a few years ago

As far as going to Sergeants Jacks , well decide for yourself but none of the locals here would darken its door

I don't understand your last sentence?

What is Sergants Jack?

What are prices like for a nice apartment there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭philipm

I am 26 and lived there for 2 years and loved it, it is a great spot and you will be sorry to leave. Rental accomadation is cheap too try:

http://www.daft.ie

• Advertisement

Are you still there Phillip? Why only 2 years there? On a job?

What kind of things are there to do after work hours? I don't drive, do you think that would be a problem?

Also I am guessing the nearest Airport is Shannon? How far away is the airport from Killaloe exactly?

--

I may be going over this Thursday. Just for my own info this is the address of the place -

Caherelly House, Ballina/Killaloe,
    Co. Tipperary, Ireland

Is it a place which is in the centre? Like village centre or near a residential area etc etc?

I am trying to get as much info as possible!

Work commitments meant I had to move to Dublin, talk about different worlds:)

Shannon is about a half an hour drive (I am not sure about bus links, you may have to travel to Limerick first and get a connecting bus). I would reccomend learning to drive as there is alot of the region that you can explore by car and will make your stay alot more enjoyable.

Caherelly house is bang in the centre of Killaloe (well Ballina which is the opposite side of the bridge). Is it digino you will be working for? They seem to be doing alot of great things in terms of e-marketing and web development you should enjoy it!

After work hours, there is a good enough gym and leisure center in the Lakeside and depending on your interests Limerick is only a short trip.

That's right Phillip - Digino

I'm def. a gym guy - I go 4 times a week here in London.

When you say bang in the centre, is it like any other centre? Shops, malls, etc nearby...pubs/bars?

I'd prefer to live in a place which is walking distance from where I work, so there are nice houses/apartments around that area you think?

I've been researching online and it's hard to find much info - obviously alot of marine life, water sports etc seem to be able to find on the net but that's about it.

You don't think it would be lonely/quiet for a single 25 year old guy?

With regard to it being a lonely/quiet place:

It is very very different to London and is more of a small village and that small village way of life. When I lived there we got ourselves a lovely apartment overlooking the lake and found I got to know people very quick.

You can walk to work from anywhere in Killaloe/Ballina. There is only only two shops, some good restaurants and a few pubs.

Only two shops?

So if you want to go shopping let's say for clothes/home furnishing/digital stuff like TV's, Computers etc you have to go somewhere else...like Limerick?

Yeah two larger supermarkets for food etc. There are some small electrical/clothing shops but Limerick is your best bet for brand name shops and more what you would be used to.

The best thing you can do is come over and check it and see for yourself.

If searching for rental accomadation daft the best resource:

Killaloe:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s[cc_id]=c16&s[a_id]=1351&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=&s[bd_no]=&refine=Refine&search=1&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&search_type=rental

Ballina:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=c18&s%5Ba_id%5D%5B%5D=1354&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=&s%5Bbd_no%5D=&s%5Bpt_id%5D=&s%5Bmove_in_date%5D=0&s%5Blease%5D=&s%5Bfurn%5D=0&search=Search+%BB&more=&tab=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=rental&s%5Btransport%5D=&s%5Badvanced%5D=&s%5Bprice_per_room%5D=

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 russtini

heya - i am from a few miles outside killaloe & its a lovely spot & lovely pubs few nice spots to eat but to be honest its not somewhere i'd like to live when i was young & single like yourself! And tho if your work is in killaloe village itself you'd prob find a nice spot to rent where you could walk to work I think you need to learn to drive as public transport doesnt really exist! well i think there might be a bus once a day to limerick (nearest city). as for malls etc well the 3 or 4 clothes shops are geared towards middle aged women to be honest. being italian you'll prob have no prob finding a few lady friends tho ;)

Advertisement