Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some Music

Options
  • 30-11-2008 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Starting to get bored of my I-pod,would like to discover some new bands.
    I like:
    Angel pier
    Interpol
    MGMT
    Late Of the Pier
    Soulwax
    The Shins
    Tokyo Police Club
    Vampire Weekend
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Robots In Disguise
    Battles
    The Beach Boys
    The Beatles
    Nirvana

so anyhting along those lines would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Glas Vegas gets a big thumbs up from me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Been there lad. Start going back Talking heads, suicide,Robert Wyatt, Nick Drake,Joni Mitchell, Miles Davis, Any good folk, and then you will find the blues, then pop forward to funk, and after all that you will probably end up at Al Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

This Town Needs Guns- Animals
    Youthmovies- Good Nature
    Johnny Foreigner- Waited Up Till It Was Light

I really think you'd enjoy those albums and bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Nirvana: Pixies, Sonic Youth (Daydream Nation)
    Beatles: Love (Forever Changes), Velvet Underground, Zombies (Odyssey & Oracle)
    Interpol: Joy Division, Depeche Mode (Violator album)

Also - Panda Bear is well worth a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You should check out Menomena. Fantastic band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Lykke Li
    Crystal Castles
    Sigur Ros

Try out Finger Eleven. You might not like them, but its worth a shot.

Here's two of my favourite songs by them:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=mxoEDA5n5eY&feature=related

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWPNoLEY1s

As i say, you may not like them, but they're worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Fleet Foxes - http://www.myspace.com/fleetfoxes

to my ear they manage to sound like Neil Young, The Beach Boys, America, Nick Drake, Richard Thompson simultaeneously while having their own unique sound...highly recommended

album review here - http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:dnfqxzejld0e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

TV on The Radio,
    Los Campenios,

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

I'd highly recommend a band called "Ketch Harbour Wolves" that probably no one in Ireland has ever heard of. They're not quite as heavy as Interpol but the lead singer does have a kinda Ian Curtis/Paul Banks voice.. They're from Toronto and you can download their album for free off their website. http://www.ketchharbourwolves.com/

They don't have even have a wikipedia page as far as I'm aware!
    Really good album though..despite it being pretty short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

sun kil moon and generally anything by Mark Kozelek

(whats next to the moon - AC/DC covers album he's done. amazing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I'll second the sun kil moon recommendation I have April, Ghosts of the great highway and tiny cities. All excellent, especially April imo

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Valcin

At the moment my two favourite new bands are :

Holy **** - From Canada, they are kind of like battles, their album is amazing www.myspace.com/holy****

R.S.A.G. - New Irish guy, sounds a bit like the singer of interpol mixed with talking heads. The album is my favourite album of the year and he's from kilkenny.
    www.myspace.com/rarelyseenaboveground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

your holy**** link doesnt work valcin.

I will also vouche for them though, must have a look into R.S.A.G

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Miracle Fortress (check out my sig). I really love these guys.

your holy**** link doesnt work valcin.

I will also vouche for them though, must have a look into R.S.A.G

I tried to put in the normal holy **** link but because the f word part of their name comes up as **** the link wouldnt work so i changed it to that above which was the link from my home page but doesnt seem to work either for some reason. If you want to find it manually type in www.myspace.com/holy**** but change the last four letters to the f word (what a pain in the hole!)

Yeah, you should defianately get on to R.S.A.G. (i sound like im connected to him or something but i'm just really excited that something like this is coming from ireland) he's just come out of nowhere to make what i reckon to be one of the best indie irish albums of all time, its only out a few weeks and anyone i know thats heard it reckons it is savage. Its just one dude playing all the instruments. Animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Valcin wrote: »
    At the moment my two favourite new bands are :

Holy **** - From Canada, they are kind of like battles, their album is amazing www.myspace.com/holy****

R.S.A.G. - New Irish guy, sounds a bit like the singer of interpol mixed with talking heads. The album is my favourite album of the year and he's from kilkenny.
    www.myspace.com/rarelyseenaboveground

While I would agree both with Holy F*ck and R.S.A.G (Rarely Seen Above Ground) I would dispute that Holy F*ck are like Battles - I find them very different.

RSAG is class though - check him out live too and pick up his album in Road Records - buy independent!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I would dispute that Holy F*ck are like Battles - I find them very different.

Hey AnonoBoy, ya you're right that they do sound different but the thread starter had Battles listed as one of his favourite bands and i definately reckon that anyone that is in to Battles would like Holy F*ck as well. They both do instrumental rock music with a singer putting mad effects on their voices but I'd say Battles would be more guitar orientated while Holy F*ck would be more toy synth orientated but id be suprised if someone who liked one didnt like the other. I may check out menomena. Any other suggestions along the lines of the bands i mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Port O'Brien.
    Can help but jig to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Saw Holy f*ck in London during the summer. Was alright.

OP I advise going more electronic. Deadmau5, Modeselektor, Digitalism, Justice etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CliffClav

I have to agree about R.S.A.G. I saw him at Castlepalooza (dumb name) before the album was released and taught he was savage. At the time I didn't even know who he was. Then I heard a friend talking about this new album by R.S.A.G. and really liked it. It was only last week that I found out that the guy I saw at the gig and the new album were the same guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Been there lad. Start going back Talking heads, suicide,Robert Wyatt, Nick Drake,Joni Mitchell, Miles Davis, Any good folk, and then you will find the blues, then pop forward to funk, and after all that you will probably end up at Al Green.

I agree with all of the above, especially with Nick Drake and Talking Heads. If you like Nirvana, another great grunge (well grunge/country) band is the Meat Puppets. Check out the album "Too High to Die". You could give The Smiths a listen too, one of my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Notorious wrote: »
    I agree with all of the above, especially with Nick Drake and Talking Heads. If you like Nirvana, another great grunge (well grunge/country) band is the Meat Puppets. Check out the album "Too High to Die". You could give The Smiths a listen too, one of my favourites.
    Seen them in Whelans the other night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Fleet foxes
    Hot Chip
    TV on the Radio
    Clap your hands say yeah!
    Sufjan Stevans
    Belle and Sebastian

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

HouseHippo wrote: »
    Seen them in Whelans the other night

MC Grammar won't be happy.

Oh come on...here to talk about music not fcking grammar

Diamond007 wrote: »
    Fleet foxes
    Hot Chip
    TV on the Radio
    Clap your hands say yeah!
    Sufjan Stevans
    Belle and Sebastian
    Not a fan of hot chip but have been meaning to check out TV on the Radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

TV on the radio - Dirywhirl and Wolf like me.. ;)

No Hotchip? Why..?

Diamond007 wrote: »
    TV on the radio - Dirywhirl and Wolf like me.. ;)

No Hotchip? Why..?
    Seen them at a festival.....failed to impress, kind of annoy me don't know why

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bad2theboneB

Interpol - She Wants Revenge - "Tear you apart", The National - "Mistaken For Strangers", Tv On The Radio - "Wolf Like Me"
    MGMT & Tokyo Police Club - The Walkmen "Little House of Savages", The Teenagers - "Homecoming", The Spinto Band - "Oh Mandy"

Youtube the songs i mentioned, you might eargasm to some of them!

Advertisement