Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone-GPS Xmas Pressie-Help Please

• 30-11-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking for a little help,when it comes to the latest in phones I'm very confused.
    My girlfriend wants one of those touch screen phones for christmas,I was going to get her a sat nav as she mentioned it before. She is on the meteor network as prepay. Are there any touch screen phones suited to this with one of those GPS units. Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

nope

only phones on meteor with with satnav are thenokia navigator and the n95, only touch screens are the tocco and viewty so afraid not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Ok am I screwed or do I have other options?
    Would it be possible to buy a sim free touch phone with GPS? or does that sound stupid :)

nope afraid not there is no touch screen phones out there with gps on the irish market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

nope afraid not there is no touch screen phones out there with gps

What are you on about?
    Theres the samsung i900 omnia with touch screen and gps.
    The lg renoir has gps and a touch screen.
    They're the only ones i can think of now...oh and there's the nokia 5800, but you wont find them easily in Ireland as they haven't been released here yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

What are you on about?
    Theres the samsung i900 omnia with touch screen and gps.
    The lg renoir has gps and a touch screen.
    They're the only ones i can think of now...oh and there's the nokia 5800, but you wont find them easily in Ireland as they haven't been released here yet.

Glad you said that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Bad info....

There are loads of touch screen phones out there with GPS.
    I have the Palm Treo and the gps / sat nav is really good on it. plus its a touch screen pocket PC

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treopro/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Another option is installing TomTom or one of the other satnav applicatons onto a non-GPS phone and using a separate bluetooth GPS module.

Advantages:
    Gives you a lot more choice in which phone you go for
    Phone battery life will last longer
    Phone will be less bulky

Disadvantages:
    Need a separate unit for GPS but you can keep that in the car anyway
    Need to keep separate unit charged (some have solar charging which is handy)
    More hassle in setting up at first. You'll need to buy a GPS module and navigation software.

well i was talking about the irish market and a palm treo i would have more considered a palm pilot then phone so apoligies never came to mind.

the omnia relies on network too which wont be supported by meteor until 3g is properly rolled out unless your in a 3g area already then your sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

nope afraid not there is no touch screen phones out there with gps

Heh. :)
    HTC alone have probably got a couple of dozen touchscreen phones with gps knocking around at this stage.

mkennedy wrote: »
    Heh. :)
    Between Nokia and HTC alone, there's probably a few dozen phones with gps knocking around at this stage.
    Nokia gps yes, touch screen and gps no

. . .and again htc, i was only talking about the irish market

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

Hi Javaboy,
    Good info. What phone woule you advise if I am looking for a decent camera, multimedia, I like my office applications like word, excel, (and be able to edit then) pdf files etc. music doesnt bother me too much, i like the techie gps stuff. is it wise to go pay monthly for something like the iphone3g im from donegal so i dont know what the 3g reception woud be like, would i be better off going for something simpler and get a palm tx? im not that business orientated, student orientated doing an online course! What do you mean by a bluetooth module in above? upload tom tom to phone, then something about a module? whats that? thanks for info mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What do you mean the irish market? Mine is working perfect with meteor, vodafone and O2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Nokia gps yes, touch screen and gps no

. . .and again htc, i was only talking about the irish market

Yeah you're right about nokias and touchscreens- i tried to ninja edit my post to exclude them after re-reading your post. :)

But tbh i'd say there's a growing market for phones like HTCs/high-end samsungs/Treos/omnia/etc etc in Ireland now.

that new nokia 5800 has gps but as the other thread says might be a bit hard to get, looks like a great phone tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Thank you all for the replies. Would any of these be available on the meteor network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the replies. Would any of these be available on the meteor network?

You can buy them unlocked from sites like
    www.expansys.ie

manaka wrote: »
    Hi Javaboy,
    Good info. What phone woule you advise if I am looking for a decent camera, multimedia, I like my office applications like word, excel, (and be able to edit then) pdf files etc. music doesnt bother me too much, i like the techie gps stuff. is it wise to go pay monthly for something like the iphone3g im from donegal so i dont know what the 3g reception woud be like, would i be better off going for something simpler and get a palm tx? im not that business orientated, student orientated doing an online course! What do you mean by a bluetooth module in above? upload tom tom to phone, then something about a module? whats that? thanks for info mate!

Tbh I'm not the best person to advise on what exact phone to get. My own phone is only a lowly Nokia E50 without a camera.

Here's a link to Tom Tom's Navigator software for PDA/mobile:
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=2&Lid=25&selector=true

There's a few different options there; some have GPS receivers included. There are other alternatives for software and you'll be able to get GPS receivers for far less on ebay or some online retailer. The GPS module itself acts as a link between a non-GPS phone and the GPS satellites. It connects to the phone via bluetooth.

It's a more complicated option than buying a phone with built in GPS but like I said, it widens your options a bit when it comes to phone models and may work out cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

thanks for that java, i will check out that website. so you think that i could upload tom tom software to nokia e65? hmmm...must check for one of them gps receivers. thanks again mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Do phone operators charge for using GPS? I'm thinking of going for the N95

manaka wrote: »
    thanks for that java, i will check out that website. so you think that i could upload tom tom software to nokia e65? hmmm...must check for one of them gps receivers. thanks again mate

The E65 would be fine I reckon. It's not listed as one of the compatible phones though on the TomTom website but then neither is mine and it works fine. :D

The more I think about it though, if you're going for a high end phone with touch screen etc. anyway then you might be just as well off getting one of the phones with integrated GPS. It probably won't add that much to the price.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement