Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Furniture

Options
  • 30-11-2008 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I've recently had a car accident and totalled my car and I wanted to get my engine turned into a table as a souvnir of my dream car!

Does anyone know a company that can turn my engine into a coffee table?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Brilliant! Give it a clean and glue a sheet of glass on the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Class idea.

If I knew how to weld I'd love this as a nixer ;) Maybe someone here on boards could help you out.

Edit: I suggested a welder because you might need a welder to weld on some arms to hold up the glass. Choosing how many arms to have might be difficult. It has to look good and be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

not hard to do -
    heres a blog some bloke did about it -
    http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/01/v8_coffee_table.html

i think its a mega idea - i'd like one myself!

and here a thread over on piston heads about it - and a V8 also makes a nice wine rack!
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=141&t=505182&i=0

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Brother was going to do that with an engine, i think the novelty wore off though. I think it'd be a great idea, do post pics if you go ahead with it:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

What a childish and immature thread, just goes to show the OP seriously has issues and too much time on their hands. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,323 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Your location is apt.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

Cpaw wrote: »
    What a childish and immature thread, just goes to show the OP seriously has issues and too much time on their hands. :rolleyes:

Disagree completely, that comment was uncalled for. Op: think its an excellent idea

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Says the guy posting at 2:24 in the morning?

If you've nothing constructive to say, don't post. I think it's a cool idea, and so do many others.

On a side note, if your car was a write off, will you need to buy it back off the insurance company (or was their any involved at all?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Cpaw man, WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Hi Everyone,

I've recently had a car accident and totalled my car and I wanted to get my engine turned into a table as a souvnir of my dream car!

Does anyone know a company that can turn my engine into a coffee table?

Thanks!

Mmmm...before everyone gets too excited I have to ask the question - what type of 'dream car' is it? To some people on here that could mean an A4 1.9 TDI with S4 badges...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Really you have to be a troll or something.

You said previously in one of your threads "if you have nothing good to say don't". And then you go off and say this.

All your doing is complaining people and feeling insulted by this that and the other thing. The door is that way
    >>

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BrokenSpiral

Thanks for all the posts and the encouragement!

The car was a Jaguar XK8 and I've wanted one since I was 16 or 17 so when I finally got one a couple of months ago it really was a dream come true!

My plan is to buy the wreckage from the insurance company, or at least get a mate to do it as apparantly they won't sell it back to me directly, and then break it for parts and keep the block.

As for the job itself, I am going to have to do it myself as I haven't found anyone who can do the work. I've read a ton of posts and articles on it and this is the basic plan.

1) Sandblast the block or get it a chemical dip to bring it back to the bare metal and give it a light coat of clear to prevent any future corrosion.
    2) Build a wooden frame with 2 cross pieces to mount the engine on.
    3) Weld 4 of the piston rods on the corners.
    4) Get some shatterproff glass made up.
    5) Mount the glass on clear rubber mounts on the piston heads.

I'll put up a post when, and if, I get to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Nice car and nice engine. You'll have your own top gear set with that!
    Best of luck with it and do keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I happen to know someone on another motoring site who was thinking of doing this, as he's currently out of work, and has too much free time on his hands. He doesn't have access to a V8 though...

http://octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=21340&highlight=furniture

Might be worth sending him a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

The car was a Jaguar XK8 and I've wanted one since I was 16 or 17 so when I finally got one a couple of months ago it really was a dream come true!

My plan is to buy the wreckage from the insurance company, or at least get a mate to do it as apparantly they won't sell it back to me directly, and then break it for parts and keep the block.

A V-engine is best alright but the engine for an XK8 is probably worth a lot of money if the engine is a strong runner. It might be a better option to get a blown one (there will be a few due to them having Nikasil bore liners) as this would basically only be scrap.

The weight issue is a problem but you will be stripping off the cylinder heads/sump/crank/pistons/internals so that will reduce the weight. You'll need to cut or pull the headbolts I think also.

Bead blasting is a good job as it polishes metal to a dull shine. AFAIK you're perfectly entitled to buy the car from your insurance company.

Best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BrokenSpiral

Ferris wrote: »
    A V-engine is best alright but the engine for an XK8 is probably worth a lot of money if the engine is a strong runner. It might be a better option to get a blown one (there will be a few due to them having Nikasil bore liners) as this would basically only be scrap.

The weight issue is a problem but you will be stripping off the cylinder heads/sump/crank/pistons/internals so that will reduce the weight. You'll need to cut or pull the headbolts I think also.

Bead blasting is a good job as it polishes metal to a dull shine. AFAIK you're perfectly entitled to buy the car from your insurance company.

Best of luck anyway.

I was offered 500 Euro for the wreckage of the car, I was lucky enough to have one of the few Nikasil engines that didn't have problems so that is the only bit of any value. I am fairly concerned about the weight of the block but sure that is what having big strong mates is all about!!!

Advertisement