Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is appropriate?

Options
  • 30-11-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

My goddaughter is currently in senior infants, and their teacher told the entire class that when you are taking a bath you are sitting in your own filth and now most of the kids will not have a bath.

Regardless of your opinion on the truth of this statement, do you think it's appropriate for a primary school teacher to tell young children this?

My aunt has the five year old girl and two a two year old by, whom she generally baths together. Now the little won't take a bath at all, so the children now have to be bathed seperately, and it is a lot harder for her to wash her daughters hair etc for her in the shower.

Obviously this would have happened in time, but as I'm sure many parents with multiple young children do the same thing, do you think it would be the right thing to complain?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Before logging a complaint I would check to see exactly what the teacher said. I assume that the op is taking the word of a five year old. Now I know they can be smart but it is possible that she misunderstood what was said.
    It just seems like a weird thing for an experienced teacher to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Was this something to do with conserving water or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

I'm not sure of the full details at the mo, only spoke to my aunt fairly briefly about it.

although the teacher may have intended for it to have something to with water conservation, there was definitely mention made to the kids of it being unhygienic.

I would normally have assumed that maybe Jess was taking it up wrong, however my aunt mentioned that several of the kids are saying the same thing. Which is that baths are dirty and you're sitting in dirt.

It's a fairly close community of parents, and my aunt lives in a very small estate with alot of young families so alot of her neighbours are classmates parents all friendly etc.

oh and the reason for the post was to get feedback on what to do/whether to do anything.

It can't be changed now but it is causing a bit of hassle for a few of the parents from what i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

AvaKinder wrote: »
    My goddaughter is currently in senior infants, and their teacher told the entire class that when you are taking a bath you are sitting in your own filth and now most of the kids will not have a bath.

Regardless of your opinion on the truth of this statement, do you think it's appropriate for a primary school teacher to tell young children this?

My aunt has the five year old girl and two a two year old by, whom she generally baths together. Now the little won't take a bath at all, so the children now have to be bathed seperately, and it is a lot harder for her to wash her daughters hair etc for her in the shower.

Obviously this would have happened in time, but as I'm sure many parents with multiple young children do the same thing, do you think it would be the right thing to complain?

The teacher is a moron and the school should be alerted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I would certainly consider complaining, but only when you find out what was said, and in what context.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

I'd have a word regardless of the context it was said in.
    If a lot of the kids are refusing to have a bath then it was wrong regardless. Let her explain it and there may be a reasonable explaination. Although it sounds to me as though she is transfering her own issues about hygiene etc onto a group of 5 year olds. Absolutely moronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Here is my point of view on this .....

Teachers are there to teach subjects ......

Parents/guardians are there to parent.......

A Teacher parenting is crossing the line, what ever her point may have been (conservation of water ect) she has no right to parent any child. How would she like it if you suddenly started teaching her incorrect maths or english.... (even though she may not think she is incorrect, it is not for her to decide)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 justmum

that is completely out of order. I would definately raise this issue with the school. If one of my children was told that at school I would be furious. As a parent myself I would not accept that my child should be taught that at school regardless of what was meant by it. As for the child picked it up wrong I seriously doubt it. For one every child in the classroom could not have made the same mistake, and also a 5 year old child is remarkably perceptive and in most cases repeat everything they hear as they hear it.

Advertisement