Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bargaining in a private sale against a dealer

Options
  • 30-11-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭

In todays recessionary market if a car was say listed as costing 12500 euro how much do you reckon you would get it for after negotiations buying privately compared to a adealer i.e can you get it cheaper privately then a dealer becasue of the lack of warranty. I am considering buying a 06 second hand car vauled on the CBGuide at €12500 privately and was wondering how much realistically I should pay for it with the new year 4 weeks away. Shoud around 11,000 if the car is in good nick be my bargaining limit. Obviously I should get it cheaper then say the same car priced around the same cost from a dealer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What car is it? Mileage? Spec? etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi,

The same car as in this thread except 22000 miles on the clock and a different colour. Its listed at 12.5 thousand euro though.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055430010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If you're not trading in a car with the dealer I think you might be surprised at how much you get knocked off.

I paid 5.6k to a dealer a while ago for a car that was originally on sale at 6.75k, a private seller wouldnt give that much of a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It is very unlikely that a private seller will drop by the same amounts as a dealer. A private seller should have their car priced way lower than a dealer to begin with as they don't offer any warranty or come back. You might haggle a few hundred at best off a private seller but not thousands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

cash is king now more so than ever,check the car out and if you like, i'd try at 10, maybe with leyway to go to 10.5, essentially they can take it ot leave it, But would prob wait until jan and you'll find a similar deal on a 07

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kindalen

it seems that there are better deals from the trade at the moment. many private sellers appear to be overvaluing their cars...what they expect/want their car to be worth.
    the only rule is that cars are only worth what people are willing to pay.

Advertisement