Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband company in melbourne

Options
  • 30-11-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Lads, moved house and need the web for ps3, laptops etc. Anyone have any dealings with a good wireless broadband supplier in Melbourne.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

do you 1) have a telephone line
    2) want to sign a contract?

I tried unwired and wasn't impressed at all, really slow (some of my friends use it and it was grand for them)

at the moment I am using Optus Cable ... not the best, keeps dropping signal

I've heard good things about iiNet from a friend who uses them, they didn't install in my area

have a look at this website http://whirlpool.net.au/
    basically a forum for broadband in Oz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

You legend!

Yeah ill sign a contract, i need it fast as i play call of duty on line and nothing p1sses me off more than slow connection or no connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

The whirlpool forum is a great place to find out insider information on broadband deals.

I discovered AAnet there and have been with them four years after being with Optus before that where I worked. So far I've had no real issues. They are cheap and reliable but the only drawback is the length of time you have to wait to get support if there is an issue with your connection.

dSTAR wrote: »
    The whirlpool forum is a great place to find out insider information on broadband deals.

I discovered AAnet there and have been with them four years after being with Optus before that where I worked. So far I've had no real issues. They are cheap and reliable but the only drawback is the length of time you have to wait to get support if there is an issue with your connection.
    They look very good alright. Do you have wireless?

They look very good alright. Do you have wireless?
    Yeah. I pay $40 for 5 Gbytes which suits my needs.

• Advertisement

when you say wireless do you mean a wireless connection as a usb dongle thing? (so you can use anywhere?)

or just around the house? etc ...
    I picked up a wireless transmitter on eBay for $80 and works great
    so turned my cable into wireless pretty easy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm with iinet and they're excellent.

$69.95 a month plus line rental of $29.95 gets me 20 gigs of on-peak downloading and 40 gigs off-peak. Downloading includes each web page you browse. Speed is very quick and I never go over my cap so I pay $100 all up for the month plus calls from the house phone which is usually no more than a tenner cause of calls home.

There are different price plans you can go on depending on your needs and it's fully secured wireless around the apartment.

hussey wrote: »
    when you say wireless do you mean a wireless connection as a usb dongle thing? (so you can use anywhere?)

or just around the house? etc ...
    I picked up a wireless transmitter on eBay for $80 and works great
    so turned my cable into wireless pretty easy
    Just wireless around the house with a wireless modem.

The other one what you are thinking of is the mobile broadband plans that you can use anywhere with a spongle or whatever its called.

http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/adsl2plus_pricing.php

Anyone any experience with this shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

^ ^ ^ I've heard great thing about them, I tried to sign with them a few years ago but they didn't service my area (in fact no company did.)

I currently use Bigpond and am happy. :)

• Advertisement

missannik wrote: »
    ^ ^ ^ I've heard great thing about them, I tried to sign with them a few years ago but they didn't service my area (in fact no company did.)

I currently use Bigpond and am happy. :)

Defo worth considering so, cheers.

May go with them, will having them 'service my area' cost more or is it included in the original price?:D:D:D:D

May go with them, will having them 'service my area' cost more or is it included in the original price?:D:D:D:D

service my area is just type in your landline number in their website and they can tell you whether they service there

^ ^ ^ I'm glad I'm not the only innocent one. :P

Ask. ;)

(Mental note- must rethink every post just in case I'm being naive. :))

You guys did realise i meant oral sex right?

Of course... hence my comment that I am far too naive. :o

P.s. I laughed for a good 20 minutes... thanks. :)

Advertisement