Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your most fun homework assignment?

Options
  • 30-11-2008 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

For those of you that are in college learning to code, or who did some sort of course that required you to complete programming tasks (not big projects), can you remember one that was particularly fun? You know, the type of thing that you got a kick out of solving..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

"Game of Life", Its fascinating, web search it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Not particularly an assignment we had to 'solve', but fun nonetheless. Recently had to make an SMTP Client GUI for a class. Wasn't that difficult but once I sorted the MIME stuff for HTML it was quite fun to send spoof emails from admin@rcsi.ie and admin@dit.ie. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Enlil_Nick wrote: »
    Not particularly an assignment we had to 'solve', but fun nonetheless. Recently had to make an SMTP Client GUI for a class. Wasn't that difficult but once I sorted the MIME stuff for HTML it was quite fun to send spoof emails from admin@rcsi.ie and admin@dit.ie. :)

was this by any chance at Sligo IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

KStaford wrote: »
    was this by any chance at Sligo IT?

Nah, UCD. :p It seems like quite a good way of learning about SMTP so there are probably thousands of students over the world who have done the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Enlil_Nick wrote: »
    Nah, UCD. :p It seems like quite a good way of learning about SMTP so there are probably thousands of students over the world who have done the same thing.

Most people in the module googled it and copied the same code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

KStaford wrote: »
    "Game of Life", Its fascinating, web search it
    Yeah this was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title, I had great fun implementing Conway's Game of Life. It's pretty straightforward to get working but you can have lots of fun tinkering with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

tf-idf search engine

US-English speech recognizer

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coolguy

My favourite program was to produce a perspective projection to look at a house from different angles and distances which i wrote in my Computer Graphics module.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Cryptography assignments were the best when i was in college.. firs to get it right usually got around 7 percent onto your grade. Real exciting when you actually decrypt something aswell that youve been working on for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭stylers

a graphical implementation/demonstration of spanning tree algo's - kruskal and Prim's in Java. the best craic in assignments was guessing and seeing who'd come up with the slickest and clunkiest code :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Creating a browser. I enjoyed that. That was about 10 years ago.

More recently I had to do lots of bit manipulation stuff. Fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I've just finished an assignment on connecting a Java program to a MySQL server..It was fun because it was so easy compared to others and I have a practical use for it straight away..

Usually I get a greater kick out of solving a difficult assignment that take hours of solving!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

coolguy wrote: »
    My favourite program was to produce a perspective projection to look at a house from different angles and distances which i wrote in my Computer Graphics module.

Comp Sys, UL I take it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Writing a compiler for a pascal-like language was great fun. Skeleton code was provided and it was divided into four incremental parts; code parser to detect the first error, same again but detects all errors, same again but writing machine code, and same again with code optimisations.

Tough as hell but not very rewarding considering the majority of the class copied someone's code from the previous year and got better marks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Probably writing a side scrolling shoot-em up in Java. Good times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Prolog compiler, in Prolog :)

Advertisement