Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limitations of Soft-Modding a Wii???

• 30-11-2008 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering what are the limitations of soft-modding the Wii versus the usual modding(with soldering and chips).

What can you do following soft-modding?

What can't you do after soft-modding that you can do after modding?

Thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Soft modding is not yet fully developed, is much slower to load, does not have full compatibility, requires iso's to be patched beforehand, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Thank you.

I'd love to 'expand the capabilities' of my Wii but I'm scared of wrecking/'bricking' the whole console by modding it. My soldering was never up to much - always dry joints, and I'm not anyway comfortable inside the cover of a machine.

Thought it might be a nice 'safe' option to soft-mod but wanted to know if it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Just give it time, they'll get there eventually. This thread will probably be locked even though your allowed to play your backups and have to hack consoles to allow this.

Admittedly, 90% of people don't use it for legitimate reasons. I've not bothered because I earn enough to buy my games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

get the homebrew channel. can do it all

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

I can't even find the homebrew channel!
    DUH!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

has any one used the homebreware software for the wii??

I want to play a backup up of mario kart that was getting scratched and dont really want to go down the hardware mod chip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

abakan wrote: »

I want to play a backup up of mario kart that was getting scratched and dont really want to go down the hardware mod chip
    Yes and it works , dont forget to install starfall to stop updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MiloFoxburr

Don't pay for free software.

thanks all,

I have since found this link with the free download
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page

now to start the process and hopefully not brick it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

thanks all,

I have since found this link with the free download
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page

now to start the process and hopefully not brick it!!!!
    its piss easy, i went down the twilight hack route, had to buy the game second hand tho, any online ones i got never worked, let us know how you get on

• Advertisement

Yes im been looking at the twlight hack and it seems the easiest to do. Ill rent Zelda at the weekend for a few hours and be able to play my backup games then.

cheers

ahhh, i bought zelda but my wii is from the US and wont run the PAL version of Zelda.
    Thats a step back for me.

Ill have to get a US ntsc Zelda game somewhere....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

i did the Zelda hack today. Really easy to do. Haven't played any back up game yet. Have to get hold of a back up game first.

needed to copy my wii game for a backup.
    seems only 4 LG drive are able to read the wii disk in order to take a dump of the image.

is there another way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

ROC1977 wrote: »
    i did the Zelda hack today. Really easy to do. Haven't played any back up game yet. Have to get hold of a back up game first.
    needed to copy my wii game for a backup.
    seems only 4 LG drive are able to read the wii disk in order to take a dump of the image.

is there another way?

Is there anything in this thread that you don't understand? A month off for each of you. :rolleyes:

Advertisement