Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consciousness...

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

kelly1 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, not me!

"Great Ape" (family Hominidae) is a human classification, ie a classification based on a system we came up with. You (a human I presume) are a Great Apes. You are in that family because your physical structure matches the classification for that grouping. You can either blame evolution or God for that, but it doesn't change it.
    The problem with having too much faith in science is that science has no ability to deal with the transcendent. Restricting oneself to empirical discovery creates an artifical ceiling.

The ceiling exists, science simple reflects that fact. You have no way to study the "transcendent" (I assume you mean the human ideas of what is and isn't supernatural). You have no way to test it or understand it. You don't even know what does or does not exist in it (God for example) You can simple guess and speculate, you have no method to determine what is actually real or what isn't actually real. A good example of that is the "spirit"

That doesn't seem to bother you, you don't mind assuming that what you think is real probably is real. But that is nothing to do with actual knowledge or understanding.
    So the idea of rejecting something which you would have no ability to understand anyway, is absurd to say the least.
    The idea of believing something is true (God exists) when you have absolutely no way to understand or test that belief, is absurd.

What is even more absurd is to then base your life and your morals around what other humans have claimed about this totally non-understandable entity.
    Compared with God, we're less than bacteria.

You clearly, some how, you have managed to find out a way to understand God well enough to make comments like this...

There is no point going on about how "science" cannot understand something while also proclaiming a whole lot about the same thing.

Science is simple a method we, humans, use to understand something. And it is currently the best method we have for actually understand, and it is light years ahead of other methods (such as religious revelation).

If science cannot understand God, or determine if God actually exists, then you cannot understand God or determine if God actually exists.

You obviously don't like that so you choose to believe all these things anyway. But there is little point standing at your point of ignorance and warning about putting too much faith in science.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Thank God I'm not an atheist! That's all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Well you see kelly1 this is very indicative of how much emotional need has to do with your beliefs and thats pretty much all you can say.

well you know what they say, ignorance is bliss ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Compared with God, we're less than bacteria.

I believe that compared with bacteria, we are gods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Compared with god, bacteria... are... gods...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Um... bacteria have outlasted virtually every form of life on this planet... if life exists off planet and we find it, most people think it will bacterial... whats all this anti bacterialism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Bacteria are already one up on God - they actually exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Well we can manipulate the world around us, we can see them but they can't see us, we are jealous, violent, vindictive, petty, they aren't. We have a plan that they're not able to be aware of because we are so damn complex compared to them (though they're by no means simple).

Sounds like gods to me...

Well we can manipulate the world around us, we can see them but they can't see us, we are jealous, violent, vindictive, petty, they aren't. We have a plan that they're not able to be aware of because we are so damn complex compared to them (though they're by no means simple).

Sounds like gods to me...

To me ideas like this really show how silly and primitive the idea of a "god" actually is

If I created an artificial form of life I wouldn't believe I therefore have rights over their existence. Yet were are expected to believe that there is a super powerful Creator that we are supposed to worship simply because he created us?

It is the type of idea that one would have thought would have been given up thousands of years ago

• Advertisement
Advertisement