Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - December 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Icy here as well. Kilkenny City outskirts.

Temperature: 26.6 °F / -3.0 °C
    Dew Point: 26.1 °F / -3.3 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

The coldest air must literally be just near ground level where I am. Roads coming into (and within) the estate are pure sheet ice and have been since early evening. Temperature at the airport is now -3 but within eye sight of the airport (here), it's just hit 1.3c. Has been fluctuating wildly between 1.5 and about 2.7 the past few hours. Now dropping though. Would this be because I am on the 4th floor? I reckon the really cold air is 50 feet below me and I am just above it. Have to drive to work at 08:30 tomorrow. Should be interesting, considering how interesting my drive home was this evening a little after 21:00 :eek:

Just hit 1.1 now.....the coldest air must be reaching up to this height now........back to 1.4 again as I type. I must be right on the border between the really cold air at ground level and less cold air above. The very light winds must be mixing the air around the level I'm at. Back down to 1.2 now.....1..1 again. Talk about temps being up and down!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

And within 5 minutes....down to 0.4!!! Scrap that....0.2 now. This is so so interesting but have to go to bed in a minute. And back up tp 0.8 at 00:33. 1.1 at 00:36

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Quite a fog down at the moment, seems to be coming and going though all evening/night. Calm and damn frosty out too!

Currently:

-2.6c
    DP -3.2
    95% RH
    1024.7mb
    N'ly breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

-1.9C, a new low for the season so far.
    Wind very light variable.
    highdef wrote: »
    Would this be because I am on the 4th floor? I reckon the really cold air is 50 feet below me and I am just above it.

Possibly, the chimney smoke around here is getting stuck in a layer just above the roofs. This usually means theres a temp inversion of some sort. I also notice that some of the higher weather stations across the country are currently some of the mildest spots. Casement is at -1C, Knock airport at 0C, both are less cold than nearby stations at lower altitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

-2.2c here in Shamtown. Freezing fog out the country, but more misty here in town. Very seasonal all the same. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

MULLINGAR(A) CALM SHOWERY PRECIP -4 99 0.0 1025

:( One thing moisture droplets in the bucket registering traces or rainfall but at that temp -4C, i think it be well frozen or do they have a heated cylinder in the gauge? Either way very misleading :pac:

Wind picked up up a tad and temp up 0.2C
    Grass -6C
    Ice upon ice out there. Very festive :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like were gonna get another week of frost?? I think we've already had more frost here so far this season than most recent winters and this only start of December. Temperature here in meath has also not peaked beyond 7C in about 10 days, this place is really cooling down fast almost 80s style.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

-3c here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

down to -4.0

when it's that here some place in the midlands will be at least a degree colder by 5 am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

-5c here and the same in Ballyhaise according to met.ie

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-1.4c atm. Min. overnight of -2.9c.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

A slight breeze meant the second half of the night wasnt quite as cold as earlier, but it never rose above freezing.
    -1.9C was overnight min, not long after midnight (and a new low for the season so far.)
    Currently -0.1C, and rising quickly in the sun.
    Wind SW 6mph.

Min -1.1C
    0.0C atm
    Frosty wonderland out there. Ground temps are struggling to recover over the last month and especially the last week. I have not seen a frost like this in the 4 years i'm here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

SW breeze has risien temp above 0C
    Mins
    Air -2.9C
    Grass -9.1C
    Some stubborn stratus, yet to see sun this morn.

Plenty of -5 and -6C at NRA stations this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snowbie wrote: »
    Ground temps are struggling to recover over the last month and especially the last week.

Looking at the ag data on ME, soil temps are 2-3C below normal for past week.
    It'll probably take a good spell of rain to raise them significantly.

min -2.3c
    Hovered around zero most of the night and then took a sharp dip around 430 am

Currently cloudy and calm and 1.4c with the frost melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Overnight low of -3.4c here. Currently +0.8c. Nice sunny day again.

Hoping for a good few -5's and lower this winter!!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Frost melting on the roof tops, will be a while before it melts at ground level, car will be staying in the drive today.

Lowest temperature here was -4.5°C at 8:36 AM.

Mothman wrote: »
    Looking at the ag data on ME, soil temps are 2-3C below normal for past week.
    It'll probably take a good spell of rain to raise them significantly.
    From this page here

I'd say several signinficant spells of rain to raise them. The one during the week seems to have no affect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bollock shatteringly cold last night, I have noticed a sudden rise this morning though, an hour ago all was frosty now its practically gone even in the shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Last night was -4.6c here. Equalling the low set at the end of November. Gone above 1c now. Sunny.

Up until 11.15am the frost was still on the grass where the sun was shining strong. Now it is melting back into the shade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

definitely milder than yesterday, frost is almost melted now even in shade, yesterday the frost was thick on the ground all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So what was the coldest temperature recorded last night then?

frost has disappeared quickly here as the clouds roll in. currently 3.1 c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

So what was the coldest temperature recorded last night then?

frost has disappeared quickly here as the clouds roll in. currently 3.1 c

According to Ogimet:

-5.3c at Mullingar
    -4.9c at Ballyhaise
    -4.8c at Oak Park

May conflict slighty with Met Eireanns figures tomorrow, but should valid enough. :)

Gonzo wrote: »
    definitely milder than yesterday, frost is almost melted now even in shade, yesterday the frost was thick on the ground all day long.

Despite the frost melting quicker the ground is completely frozen solid. Took a walk out in the fields there and it was like concrete underfoot.

According to Ogimet:

-5.3c at Mullingar
    -4.9c at Ballyhaise
    -4.8c at Oak Park

May conflict slighty with Met Eireanns figures tomorrow, but should valid enough. :)

Ballyhaise said -5c at 1am last night, I would've thought the temperature got a bit lower than that towards dawn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

-16C in central Illinois today, had to scrape ice off the car this morning. ;_; High of -5C today with some snow flurries expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Calm and cloudy.

Feeling mild.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Calm and cloudy.

Feeling mild.

Ditto, and Dublin Airport is quoting a temp of 7C. That's the warmest it's been all month !

Advertisement