Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - December 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mothman wrote: »
    I expect in an hour or so the katabatic wind from NW will kick in and the temp will rise and then fall again even lower. It's always a rediculous tease!

-0.6C atm
    Dp-2.0C

Funny you should mention katabatic effects, i've noticed the exact same thing here.
    This evening is a perfect case in point, virtually no cloud, maybe one octa at most.
    Yet earlier the temperature ROSE from 0.9 to 1.1°C before plummeting.
    I even went outside and had a look around to see if in fact it had clouded over slightly or something, but it hadn't.
    On clear nights this seems to be the way it goes..three steps back one step forward (or more) then three steps back, would love to understand the mechanics of whats happening in the atmosphere on these occasions.

Heres the temp record from my station note the rise at 16:50 followed by the plummet starting 17:00, its now 0.0°C..must be time for a rise again!!
              	  Temp    Hi     Low 
    Date      Time     Out   Temp   Temp
    13/12/08  16:20    1.3    1.4    1.1
    13/12/08  16:30    1.0    1.1    0.9   
    13/12/08  16:40    0.9    0.9    0.9 
    13/12/08  16:50    1.0    1.1    0.9
    13/12/08  17:00    0.8    0.9    0.6
    13/12/08  17:10    0.4    0.6    0.2

Anyone care to speculate a theory for this?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Now 0.2°C ..its rising again as expected..gonna plummet in 10 mins or so no doubt.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

-1.5C
    Dp -2.6C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Current conditions as of 1725

The place is white
    +1 |Steady
    Calm
    958mb steady

0.3°C, DP -1.4°C

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    +2.5c DP +1.0c Has clouded over again.

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Clear and very cold. Frost on cars already. :D

Light breeze just started up, MM I reckon your temps are going to start fluctuating wildly shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Supercell wrote: »
    Funny you should mention katabatic effects, i've noticed the exact same thing here.
    This evening is a perfect case in point, virtually no cloud, maybe one octa at most.
    Yet earlier the temperature ROSE from 0.9 to 1.1°C before plummeting.
    I even went outside and had a look around to see if in fact it had clouded over slightly or something, but it hadn't.
    On clear nights this seems to be the way it goes..three steps back one step forward (or more) then three steps back, would love to understand the mechanics of whats happening in the atmosphere on these occasions.

Heres the temp record from my station note the rise at 16:50 followed by the plummet starting 17:00, its now 0.0°C..must be time for a rise again!!
                    Temp    Hi     Low 
    Date      Time     Out   Temp   Temp
    13/12/08  16:20    1.3    1.4    1.1
    13/12/08  16:30    1.0    1.1    0.9   
    13/12/08  16:40    0.9    0.9    0.9 
    13/12/08  16:50    1.0    1.1    0.9
    13/12/08  17:00    0.8    0.9    0.6
    13/12/08  17:10    0.4    0.6    0.2

Anyone care to speculate a theory for this?
    I think i did recently on a NW breeze running down off the mountains, do a search.:)
    I take keen interest in MM and your location but the effects on temp at MM location is very interesting. It can be a couple of C in minutes up and down when the katabatic wind blows the cold air out, relaxes and the cold air sinks back around there. I only notice this happening at both your locations in a NW wind though. Excellent viewing the extremes in mins.:)

2.3C Up and down slightly but cloud is coming and going. Roads are wet so i'd imagine a slight subzero temp and ice to be in order. Long night ahead for the ice to build up.

Whats DP?

• Advertisement

Current conditions as of 1820

Snowy icy frosty cold
    +0.5|FALLING
    Calm
    960 mb steady

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

barnicles wrote: »
    Whats DP?

It's dew point - this is the temperature to which the air must be cooled for water vapor to condense into water.

2.8c here now. DP +1.5c Still full cloud cover.

-2.2c
    Dp-3.0c
    Little breeze yet just the odd flutter.

Very crispy out and no cloud.
    Venus setting shortly and the full looking moon is starting to brighten the winter wonderland.

Grass temp is -8C atm

Frost getting fairly sharp already.

-2.6C
    Dp-3.2C

No katabatic because there's no cold air to come down from the hills!

Annamoe - bandit country :D up in the hills a few miles to my west +0.9C

Cloudy
    2.6C
    Wind WNW

Mothman wrote: »
    -2.6C
    Dp-3.2C

No katabatic because there's no cold air to come down from the hills!

Annamoe - bandit country :D up in the hills a few miles to my west +0.9C

Could fry an egg on the ground here!!

Malin Head 5.5mm past hour with heavy sleet, snow reported previous hour.

Meanwhile much closer to home, -2.8C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Clear skies now. Some cloud approaching from the SW. 1.8C

2.8C :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snowbie wrote: »
    2.8C :(

sorry snowbie. i'm sure your patience will be rewarded sooner rather than later.

Nice one nachos, am enjoying this cold weather fullstop. It's nice to get a break from the norm, norm being recent winters, thats rewarding in itself. If it snows here, well excellent but surely myself an WC can't go this entire winter without snow in our part of the world again. It must happen, it has to happen, it will happen, will it happen??? :D

Frost getting sever now but that cloud that's hanging over Dublin for the past few hours is starting to move in my direction.

Wouldn't mind if there was any precip in it but its going to kill my frost. :mad:

Snowbie wrote: »
    Nice one nachos, am enjoying this cold weather fullstop. It's nice to get a break from the norm, norm being recent winters, thats rewarding in itself. If it snows here, well excellent but surely myself an WC can't go this entire winter without snow in our part of the world again. It must happen, it has to happen, it will happen, will it happen??? :D

did you see the forecast at 9:30 pm. Evelyn was saying it's inclement weather, (i beg to differ:pac:), but more importantly she said the showers could turn up anywhere tonight. On the map it even showed a shower on the east coast. so who knows?
    you're are dead right though this winter so far is a pleasant change from all the mild muck we usually get. if this cold pattern continues it's surely only a matter of time before you get some snow out of it. perhaps it would be a good idea if your friend weathercheck were to leave the country more often;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Just in case you eastcoasters were busy watching the X Factor.

IMG_1358.JPG

;)

Nice one ch750536 rub it in why dont you!

Malin Head another 5.5mm at 21z, I don't believe the precipitation amount is correct for either hour.

A light breeze at 10m has been ongoing for past 30 minutes, but it took a while to impact the 1.2m temperature. It has now and the temperature has risen from -3.3C to -1.6C.

Grass temp has risen from -9C to -6C. Some cloud to my east may be moving in slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Anyone watching Sat24.com - there appears to be showers building over land now...

http://sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Nice one ch750536 rub it in why dont you!

Rare I get chance to rub in snow.

Loveley cool snow.

Tasty, chilly snow.

Hmm, snow.

err , Back in a mo guys...

• Advertisement

started up again- but it's now sleet. the temperature has risen and all- it's now up to 1.4. the snow is melting.

hopefully, as the shower gets heavier it'll turn back to snow!

Advertisement