Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House Alarm going off in the middle of the night.

• 01-12-2008 2:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭

Every third weekend , the owners of a house across the road go away for the weekend.
    Their house alarm starts to go off at about two in the morning on the Saturday , 10 minuets of alarm noise ,then 10 Min's of silence and repeats for ages.
    Same on Sundays.
    Have tried leaving a note and even a number of an electrician l know ( who would look at it for free ) as a favour to me , but no joy.
    They are not at home when l am and visa verse.
    Anyone got any tips on sorting it out?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Buy a barking dog .. you'll soon forget about the alarm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

hussey wrote: »
    Buy a barking dog .. you'll soon forget about the alarm
    Actually , l have a dog that shows her displeasure at the
    constant ear piercing sound coming from the alarm.:(
    l must be the only one in the neighbourhood that sleeps / or tries to , in the front of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Doesn't this fall under some law for noise pollution? Ring the Garda when it goes off, when they can't locate the owners they'll force their way in to disable the alarm, after the 2nd or 3rd time this happens i'm sure your neighbours will either disable the alarm or take you up on the free electrician. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This used to happen to me, but with a car alarm. Fecker never came out to invesdtigate or turn it off.

I stole his car* - problem solved.

*not really.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

Every third weekend , the owners of a house across the road go away for the weekend.
    Their house alarm starts to go off at about two in the morning on the Saturday , 10 minuets of alarm noise ,then 10 Min's of silence and repeats for ages.
    Same on Sundays.
    Have tried leaving a note and even a number of an electrician l know ( who would look at it for free ) as a favour to me , but no joy.

if you live or they live in a rented house/aptmnts call the management company or letting agent about it. my friend is one and always gets calls about alarms and random problems and has to sort them out. they will be able to contact your neighbours and/or solve the problem!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    This used to happen to me, but with a car alarm. Fecker never came out to invesdtigate or turn it off.

I stole his car* - problem solved.

*not really.

I'd say it was eventually stolen anyway, talk about an easy target!

R0ot wrote: »
    Doesn't this fall under some law for noise pollution? Ring the Garda when it goes off, when they can't locate the owners they'll force their way in to disable the alarm, after the 2nd or 3rd time this happens i'm sure your neighbours will either disable the alarm or take you up on the free electrician. :D

If only it were that simple.
    l have rang the Garda many times over Joyriders racing up and down the roads around here / while ago now .
    No joy , they /the joyriders seemed to want attention from the residents and even waited after doing emergency stops numerous times for a Garda car to come . More often than not they didn't come.
    So l don't see them arriving down to sort out the alarm
    situation.:rolleyes::)
    l started the thread to see if it had happened to anyone
    else and to see if l could find an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

After 3 false alarms in my brother's apartment block, its an evictable offense.

If only :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If only it were that simple.
    l have rang the Garda many times over Joyriders racing up and down the roads around here / while ago now .
    No joy , they /the joyriders seemed to want attention from the residents and even waited after doing emergency stops numerous times for a Garda car to come . More often than not they didn't come.
    So l don't see them arriving down to sort out the alarm
    situation.:rolleyes::)
    l started the thread to see if it had happened to anyone
    else and to see if l could find an answer.

Here's how you do it.

You - I have a problem with my neighbour's alarm.
    Guards - We're too busy.
    You - It's okay, I have a rifle - I'll nip over and take care of them myself.
    (Half an hour later)
    Guards - You told us you were going in with a rifle!!
    You - You told me you were too busy...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

Axe+ Ladder+ Late Night= Mangled Alarm
    If you're feeling generous just cut the wires
    Isn't math fun.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Here's how you do it.

You - I have a problem with my neighbour's alarm.
    Guards - We're too busy.
    You - It's okay, I have a rifle - I'll nip over and take care of them myself.
    (Half an hour later)
    Guards - You told us you were going in with a rifle!!
    You - You told me you were too busy...

Gets trigger finger ready/ oh, l wish.:D/ in regards to the
    joyriders.:mad:
    But l have held off contacting the police over a " House Alarm " , it just doesn't seem right.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think you should just burgle the house the next time the alarm goes off, you might as well give it a reason to go off and you might get a nice plasma screen or new laptop too!

jiltloop wrote: »
    I think you should just burgle the house the next time the alarm goes off, you might as well give it a reason to go off and you might get a nice plasma screen or new laptop too!
    Is it wrong that this sounds like a really good idea? Maybe I'm just a sucker for tech, or maybe im drunk.

Axe+ Ladder+ Late Night= Mangled Alarm
    If you're feeling generous just cut the wires
    Isn't math fun.

Alarm is right up at the rafters of the house , don't think
    l haven't been tempted.;)
    It is just horrible when you can't sleep and cannot do anything about it.:(

in the grander scheme of things, what the **** is with alarms in ireland? In the states, a home security system means when your alarm is tripped, it sends an alarm to a call center, who reads the specific information (was it a door, window, smoke alarm, etc) and calls your house phone to see if it was a false alarm (by asking you a security question) - otherwise the police/fire deptartment/ambulance is alerted.

Theres none of this bull**** you get in ireland where your house security system is no more effective than a car alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Burn the house down, alarm n' all.

Overheal wrote: »
    in the grander scheme of things, what the **** is with alarms in ireland? In the states, a home security system means when your alarm is tripped, it sends an alarm to a call center, who reads the specific information (was it a door, window, smoke alarm, etc) and calls your house phone to see if it was a false alarm (by asking you a security question) - otherwise the police/fire deptartment/ambulance is alerted.

Theres none of this bull**** you get in ireland where your house security system is no more effective than a car alarm.

Car alarms are more likely to get someone out of their bed than a house alarm tbh.
    And it sucks big time when you think about it.

im saying there should be some legal standards set for home security installation. I dont know of anyone who hasnt had to suffer through that bs at some stage. I dont care what corner of the country youve been living in.

l guess l am just looking for an answer that won't get me into trouble. :D
    Thanks for the replies though.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Sure when ya hear an alarm these days, ur so used to it that ya dont bother calling the guards anyway. For all ya know the place could be getting burgled with the alarm going off, but yet ya still wouldnt bother and jsut assume a cat has triggered the motion sensors or whatever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

l guess l am just looking for an answer that won't get me into trouble. :D
    Thanks for the replies though.:)

That sucks dude. Ring the gardai!
    I had the exact same problem recently, 2 weekends in a row.
    I work odd days/hours and was in work very early next day so I wouldn't let it keep ringing. The house backs onto mine, so the first time I went around the corner and had a look, couldn't see anything so I rang the guards, with the alarm blaring down the phone too ;) and told them I thought I saw movement inside.
    They were down like a shot, and within 30mins the alarm was off (I think they got a neighbour who had a key).
    Happened again the next weekend so I got my wife to ring this time. This time the guards got it turned off again and left a warning for them, according to the neighbour. Hasn't gone off since :)
    Plus I'm happy the gardai actually responded ;)

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Sure when ya hear an alarm these days, ur so used to it that ya dont bother calling the guards anyway. For all ya know the place could be getting burgled with the alarm going off, but yet ya still wouldnt bother and jsut assume a cat has triggered the motion sensors or whatever!

That is very true , it is all the time.
    What gets to me is their alarm seems to be programmed
    to go off at certain times when they are away.:mad:
    /Now l don't know if that is possible , but it seems to happen every single time.

lafors wrote: »
    That sucks dude. Ring the gardai!
    I had the exact same problem recently, 2 weekends in a row.
    I work odd days/hours and was in work very early next day so I wouldn't let it keep ringing. The house backs onto mine, so the first time I went around the corner and had a look, couldn't see anything so I rang the guards, with the alarm blaring down the phone too ;) and told them I thought I saw movement inside.
    They were down like a shot, and within 30mins the alarm was off (I think they got a neighbour who had a key).
    Happened again the next weekend so I got my wife to ring this time. This time the guards got it turned off again and left a warning for them, according to the neighbour. Hasn't gone off since :)
    Plus I'm happy the gardai actually responded ;)

Thanks very much:)

This can be locked now , l think l have found my answer.
    Thanks everyone , and lafors .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ivory

Gets trigger finger ready/ oh, l wish.:D/ in regards to the
    joyriders.:mad:
    But l have held off contacting the police over a " House Alarm " , it just doesn't seem right.:o

Why doesn't it seem right? The alarm means the house is being burglarized, at least ostensibly, so the answer to this problem is call the neighbour-bastard's bluff and call the Guards every time you hear the alarm. How can you be faulted for being a good neighbour? The Guards may not be able to come out immediately, but they do have an obligation to investigate every claim and eventually when it is enough of a pain in the neck for them, they'll pressure the neighbour to fix his damn alarm.
    By the way, I used to live in Arizona and there was a mockingbird that lived in a mesquite near my house. Damn thing used to mimic a car alarm all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Ladder,snips end of discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If the Gardaí keepsaying they are too busy, then you either need to call their superintendant or the Garda ombudsman.

I do have other suggestions, but I'd have to ban myself if I posted them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Phone the Gardai and record the call. Then if the garda says they're too busy you go to the super with the recording...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've got your problem solved in three easy steps:

1. Procure one large knitting needle.
    2. Pierce the drums of both ears.
    3. Hey presto noise pollution is a thing of the past for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think you need to talk to them face to face (they must be at home when you are at some time during the whole week?), explain the situation to them and how it is disturbing everyone.
    Had the same situation with my neighbours during the summer when they were going down to their Wexford carav mobile-home every weekend, and they were decent enough to get their alarm fixed when the problem was pointed out to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement