Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Australia Police

Options
  • 01-12-2008 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Looking for some information on the above and working in Australia. The Western Australian Police Service are in Ireland and the UK looking for people to join them. I have never been but have heard from lots of people that Australia is a great place to work. Seriously thinking about applying for the relaxed atmosphere over there and of course the weather too.

The doubts I have is: Why does the Police have to come over here for applicants?

How are the Police regarded over there?

What's the quality of life like?

I'm sure I will have lots more questions but don't wanna get ye bogged down yet.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

TheNog wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Looking for some information on the above and working in Australia. The Western Australian Police Service are in Ireland and the UK looking for people to join them. I have never been but have heard from lots of people that Australia is a great place to work. Seriously thinking about applying for the relaxed atmosphere over there and of course the weather too.

The doubts I have is: Why does the Police have to come over here for applicants? Skills shortage

How are the Police regarded over there? Highly. alot more than the gardai

What's the quality of life like? Very good

I'm sure I will have lots more questions but don't wanna get ye bogged down yet.

Thanks in advance.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hey folks,

The doubts I have is: Why does the Police have to come over here for applicants?

It might depend on the part of Australia, you could be isolated, so doesn't attract too many people,

Not really sure, they tend not to take too much crap and can be heavy handed
    I hold them in good regard, they seem to be political in NSW, but usually I always see them on nights out.
    Amazing, W.A. is beautiful - if you like the out doors - then come visit!

:rolleyes:
    <EDIT> Sorry I seen the rolly eyes and thought you were being unhelpful, did not see the response in the quote

How about we keep this forum friendly? If you have nothing worthwhile to say then don't say it
    he asked for advice on Oz, not your opinion of his work choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I couldn't tell you. There is a healthy mix of nationalities and ethnicities in the WA police force so maybe they are looking to keep that up.

Very well respected as they basically take no bullshit. Most of them that I've interacted with have been sound blokes. Much more approachable than the lads back home in my experience.

Absolutely fantastic. I've been in WA for almost two years now and the lifestyle is brillinat. So relaxed and chilled. the weather come this time of year is unreal and there's plenty to do and see. It really is a top place to settle.

I gave my 2 cents, its in his quote.

Hussey who made you a mod?

• Advertisement

Apologies - I seen the rolly eyes and jumped to conclusion
    Thought you were being condescending.

Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

heehee I missed your comments on first glance too.

Thanks for the quick replies. I presume its about 10am there.

I can understand having a good mix of ethnicity but surely its a bit strange to come all the way over to Ireland to get the mix rather than employing from the Irish and UK expats already living there. Cheaper too.

Anyone read anything in the media about recruitment problems. In Ireland thousands of people apply for the guards.

or

Does anyone know of any particular problem the WS Police are having. Anything in the media. Trying to get hold of an Australian Police forum but seem to find any.

Also noticed on their website that there is just under 5,000 officers in Western Australia to police 1.9million people living in 2 million square miles!!! Ye must never see them around????

np

There's actually a pretty good police presence in Perth. If you go into the city on a Friday or Saturday then you'll see them in groups of 3 or 4 doing foot patrols. It's quite common to see some on horseback too.

There has been some bad press lately over the use of tasers, with members of the public believing them to be too trigger happy but other than that nothing really springs to mind.

Salary wise I'd probably be looking at about 56-59k. Would this be considered a good wage over there?

In euro terms its only about 29-30k so not great by Irish standards but then again I believe day to day expenses are alot cheaper.

• Advertisement

The average wage in Australia (I'm 90% sure) is 50k and that's plenty if your basic plan is to have somewhere to live, have a car, eat, go out on the piss and save a little.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The average wage in Australia (I'm 90% sure) is 50k and that's plenty if your basic plan is to have somewhere to live, have a car, eat, go out on the piss and save a little.

/gets passport

Just need to get the OH and kids outta bed and persuade them to come with me.

Cheers for the replies folks and keep posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Hussey - relax with the backseat modding there. I can see you meant well but still, report a post if you have a problem with it.

Brendan - I thought the rolleyes was condesending too til I realised you replied. Probably best not to put answers actually in the quote tags next time! I know why you put the smiley in too. If you have quote tags and you put your text in them it won't let you post it - it tells you your post must be over 1 character. Another reason not to reply actually in the quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My cousin is married to a WA cop and they seem to have a great life, albeit he's working a lot (detective).

biko wrote: »
    My cousin is married to a WA cop and they seem to have a great life, albeit he's working a lot (detective).

I have heard that they send you out to the isolated villages on a mobile station for a month at a time. Is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They first where in Perth, then Port Hedland WA for a year+ and now back down again. I don't know about the mobile stuff but Port Hedland is faaaaaar away (she came with him though).

Advertisement