Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kid in a candy shop: €6500 need a car today, Suggestions please

Options
  • 01-12-2008 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

As title suggests. Scoured the 6 biggest websites for the weekend and have a short list but id be very interested to see what you guys come up with.

Conditions:
    Low mileage <30000
    €7000 is max spend
    Must be in Dublin/surrounding areas so i can physically pick it up today
    Must be 1.4L engine

Preferences: Golf, Polo, Ford Focus Zetec, Nissan etc

No: Peugeot, Citroen, mini, Daewoo, Chevrolet, Fiat etc

I have my eye on a small Mg Rover but i'm unsure. Can we still get parts for these in the forseeable future without getting ripped off?

Thanks a million for your input folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,997 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're excluding Fiat (presumably on assumed reliability issues), steer WELL clear of MG-Rover. You can get parts OK at the moment, however their 4 cylinder petrol engines have a taste for head gaskets... Also, recent Golf's would be less reliable than recent Fiats at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Must be in Dublin/surrounding areas so i can physically pick it up today

That is a mistake anyway. Take your time if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

maidhc wrote: »
    That is a mistake anyway. Take your time if you can.

Cant really afford to wait to be honest. Any links with a decent Ford or Corolla would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Cant really afford to wait to be honest.
    Trust me, when spending €7,000 on a car you can't afford not to take your time. Ruling out Peugeot, Citroen and FIAT is a mistake too, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Boots2006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Sayin not more or not less than 1.4 has a higher chance of throwing up the wrong car too.

Insurance isn't going to be that different.

Anyhow here's 1 or 2

http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Leon/1.4-Spor/200847190962913/advert

needless to say I wouldn't be paying the asking price for it!!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Bora/1.4-COMF/200847190971323/advert

I'd get €600 off at least to replace the shocking alloys with VW ones, then go for the sale discount.

The Astra is a good car roadholding wise. I find mine a lot more engaging than the Focus and way better than a Corolla or MK V Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I have a 03 Focus, Freedom Model.

1.4l, 5 door, 69000 on the clock, just about to be serviced tomorrow. I'd be happy enough to let you have it for €7500, if you want to stretch the extra G.

Otherwise, I'd say wait, look at carzone, and take your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Spoke to the guy i traded in my old focus to the other day. 04 Collection model (alloys, sunroof, fogs, leather wheel) 57k and absolutely immaculate and he was trying to offload that (on a good day) at 8.5k so that 7.5 is a bit high...

OP, take your time with buying though. rushing into something like this you wont have the time to think clearly about what you're buying and you could miss something important on the car. Leaving the seller stew for a few days too could net you a better deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ninty9er wrote: »
    Anyhow here's 1 or 2

http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Leon/1.4-Spor/200847190962913/advert

needless to say I wouldn't be paying the asking price for it!!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Bora/1.4-COMF/200847190971323/advert

I'd get €600 off at least to replace the shocking alloys with VW ones, then go for the sale discount.

The Astra is a good car roadholding wise. I find mine a lot more engaging than the Focus and way better than a Corolla or MK V Golf

I'll buy the wheels off you then:D

But seriously, that Leon looks like great value. Not sure if there was a Limited edition model, but it looks the finest.

Some fantastic work there guys. Took your advice and avoided the Rover i think i've settled on a Ford focus 1.4 price is right and mileage is low.

Very much appreciated.

Some fantastic work there guys. Took your advice and avoided the Rover i think i've settled on a Ford focus 1.4 price is right and mileage is low.

Very much appreciated.

Oh dear God NOOOOOOOO, prepare to see Yaris and Corsas leave you for dust!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Buy mine and use the rest for a holiday!

(link to ad below!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

ninty9er wrote: »
    Oh dear God NOOOOOOOO, prepare to see Yaris and Corsas leave you for dust!!

You recommended a 1.4 Bora. And you condem a focus?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.4 litre Focus, Bora, Golf are all sluggish, you need min 1.6 litre in these cars.

Honda Civic is a bit better:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1250535

groupb wrote: »
    You recommended a 1.4 Bora. And you condem a focus?

I've driven both, the Bora would leave a Focus for dust.

However a Corolla or Civic as mentioned will be quicker as they're lighter cars and better engineered in the engine department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

agree ninty9er I had a Corolla and for a 97' it would leave a bora or a foCus for dust..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think you'll struggle to get a car for your budget with that low mileage...

I agree with one poster, the Jazz is one to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

That Civic posted looks the business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ok, so, the day's up: what'd you get ??:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is €6500 really a 'Candy Shop'???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

buy a fiat sceiichento, buy a broken hyabusa bike ( 1300, turbo maybe ??? nah too expencive ) and stick her in, you will laready have a nct on the yoke ( they come with them as faits are pretty much worthless... )

fast, small, easy to tax.... namely the 700 cc version !!!

everything you need and more...

oh and didnt i mention the lamboghini beating performance ??

Ahh sometimes im too good, even for my own liking !

if not, her's what you should be looking at....

Citreon xzara vtr ( no car ive even been in has much grip or shifts gears faster stock.... well... maybe the Vts models ) it is relyable, only brushes go but any monkey with a spanner can re-do em ( even me ! ) and before you say " i dont liek the looks wahahaha " its not supposed to look good, just perform... and it does a have decent job of of it, grantted its no civic... but one Vital point... corners are where you win races, lose speed and most of all have the most fun.... ireland has no real straights... so yeah... a good easy to insure pocket rocket without any gti badges seems quite a bargin to me.
    agree ninty9er I had a Corolla and for a 97' it would leave a bora or a foCus for dust..

Yeah i have to agree, even the none vvti models still kill, i was in the 1.3 g6 and even use running upto 5th ( not using 4th !! ) we killed a ae86, 1.9tdci focus and several other nippy motors...

its a surprisingly fast motor... why the police dont use them i dont know as i only ever seen one and it was an unmarked gardi car !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

S.I.R wrote: »
    buy a fiat sceiichento, buy a broken hyabusa bike ( 1300, turbo maybe ??? nah too expencive ) and stick her in, you will laready have a nct on the yoke ( they come with them as faits are pretty much worthless... )

fast, small, easy to tax.... namely the 700 cc version !!!

everything you need and more...

oh and didnt i mention the lamboghini beating performance ??

Ahh sometimes im too good, even for my own liking !

Problem solved so:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Opel Astra 1.4 all the way :D

Q2002 wrote: »
    Is €6500 really a 'Candy Shop'???

It todays climate i'm finding its pretty easy to haggle anyway. Most i was offered in a dealer off a used car yesterday was a drop from €12750 to €8300. Thats pretty good going i think.

I know your all anxious to find out what i got, the answer at the moment is that i'm still carless. I did put a deposit on one but i'm not taking it until after its NCT. Its a beautiful car but you will just have to wait until i get it to see it wont you ;)

I'll throw up a few pictures of it and the details when i actually have it. Wouldn't now incase it falls through.

Thanks again for not letting me go for the Rover. I would be driving it now if it wasn't for you. Probably would have been fine but when it came to parts down the line we never know.

Cheers for all the help.

It todays climate i'm finding its pretty easy to haggle anyway. Most i was offered in a dealer off a used car yesterday was a drop from €12750 to €8300. Thats pretty good going i think.

I know your all anxious to find out what i got, the answer at the moment is that i'm still carless. I did put a deposit on one but i'm not taking it until after its NCT. Its a beautiful car but you will just have to wait until i get it to see it wont you ;)

I'll throw up a few pictures of it and the details when i actually have it. Wouldn't now incase it falls through.

Thanks again for not letting me go for the Rover. I would be driving it now if it wasn't for you. Probably would have been fine but when it came to parts down the line we never know.

Cheers for all the help.

Oh dear, sounds like a 1.4 Focus:o:o

Well here she is picked her up last night and am absolutley delighted with her. NCT until March 2011 and a great price.

CB966228.jpg

Thanks to all of you who offered advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lovely car and best of luck with it. What did it end up standing you? If you don't mind me asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Nice car! :)

That was hardly 6.5 tho was it?

Advertisement