Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair and Aer Lingus to merge???

Options
  • 01-12-2008 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Micko has thrown in a €1.40 per share cash offer for Aer Lingus.

Early going yet but it could have some legs.

Apparently will mean that the EU will have to look at the legalities in view of recent mergers.

Unions not enthusiastic...surprise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A lot of people wont like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Astonishing cheeky offer bearing in mind Aer Lingus has more cash in the bank than O'Leary is offering for the airline in total. How times change though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Would appear that Micko reckons that the mind set of Europe has changed in light of other mergers.

Also perhaps the board of Aer Lingus may be more favourably disposed to this opportunity.

Promised to double EI shorthaul fleet from 33 to 66 and create 1000 new jobs.

Should run for a few days at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I think as a consumer I am not happy either.

Monopolys do not work, EI/FR would merge then apart from BM/LH how do you get to the UK ?

If this happens watch as the prices to the UK double/treble..........

Not only that I hate FR , and their ' customers are self loading cargo ' attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It would give Ryanair Heathrow slots for the first time, I would guess they would have to give a lot of these up if the merger went ahead, they would control a disproportionate amount of the Ireland to london routes. i wonder how this would affect Aer Lingus' oneworld memberhsip as well. I can't imagine BA wanting to codeshare with Ryanair:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

i wonder how this would affect Aer Lingus' oneworld memberhsip as well.

Errrr what One World membership, EI gave that up about 3 years ago because it ' cost too much ' , try using your Gold Circle card to get into a BA lounge and you get laughed at.

They still code share , so if you are on a code shared flight I thing the rights are still there .....

FR would flog the LHR slots , they are EI's biggest asset I imagine, FR would would not pay BAA's charges there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I hope Mick gets his way, as a tax payer I know I have/had a vested interest in Aer lingus, but the way Willie Walsh was shafted when he tried to turn it around is sickening. Ryanair will do wonders for toursim from the US if they can pulll this off.

Would Ryanair replace the fleet with Boeings?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

spadder wrote: »
    I hope Mick gets his way, as a tax payer I know I have/had a vested interest in Aer lingus, but the way Willie Walsh was shafted when he tried to turn it around is sickening. Ryanair will do wonders for toursim from the US if they can pulll this off.

Willie Walsh was caught out trying to play a fast one, stripping the company of everything and then offering to buy it from the government.

He's directly responsible for relative stagnation in Aer Lingus long haul routes, didn't bother his arse investing in new aircraft which the could have afforded because it would have added to the companies value.

Sneaky little **** if you ask me, and he's family too:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nah, pointless. EI already has Airbus crews, support, maintenance and spare parts. It'd cost far more to change over to Boing. It also ties in with FR's expansion plans - Mick did say he'd be coming into cheap transatlantic aircraft in the new year...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I think as a consumer I am not happy either.

Monopolys do not work, EI/FR would merge then apart from BM/LH how do you get to the UK ?

If this happens watch as the prices to the UK double/treble..........

Not only that I hate FR , and their ' customers are self loading cargo ' attitude.

I find it interesting that people see this as a merger.
    It is a takeover since FR bigger more powerful airline and they are the ones doing the buying.
    EI might try and think they are equal player but they are the little guy here.
    FR work on a low fares basis and I can't see them pushing the fares up to the levels EI would once have operated on.
    After all it would entice some players onto the route.

IMHO it could also be benefical for at least one of our airports, which could become a transatalantic hub with Ryanair low cost routes linking into it, before transfer to long haul.

I do not have any rosey tinted glasses when i think of EI as I always found them a bit up their own ar** and no great shakes.
    They screwed the Irish consumer and taxpayer for long enough.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Why would O'Leary have any interest in the takeover of a smaller regional airline? :pac:

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Errrr what One World membership, EI gave that up about 3 years ago because it ' cost too much ' , try using your Gold Circle card to get into a BA lounge and you get laughed at.

They still code share , so if you are on a code shared flight I thing the rights are still there .....

FR would flog the LHR slots , they are EI's biggest asset I imagine, FR would would not pay BAA's charges there.

I stand corrected, I presumed code sharing with BA meant they were still oneworld partners.

I wonder if BA would be interested, they are pretty profitable routes I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Stimpyone wrote: »
    Willie Walsh was caught out trying to play a fast one, stripping the company of everything and then offering to buy it from the government.

He's directly responsible for relative stagnation in Aer Lingus long haul routes, didn't bother his arse investing in new aircraft which the could have afforded because it would have added to the companies value.

Sneaky little **** if you ask me, and he's family too:o

EI prices were at their cheapest when Willie Walsh was in charge. I haven't flown with them since shortly after he left for the simple reason that I can no longer find cheap flights with them. I don't care what he tried to do, he made it affordable to fly with Aer Lingus and now they're expensive again.
    I hope Mick takes over EI, keeps them operating under the Aer Lingus name, looses the unionised, cranky, over-paid whinge-bags that work there and operates a good trans-Atlantic service with them. He'll keep the Heathrow slot I reckon, good business out of there. At worst he should lease the slots, not sell them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd expect him to keep the DUB-LHR slots unless he's forced to drop them as they must be pretty valuable. There must be enough flights into Gatwick and Stanstead that they could drop a couple a day from each of them if they were to be accused of having too many of the Dublin-London routes to get around any competition rules.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

FR are offering EUR750M for an airline with EUR807M in the bank. How is this viable? It is based purely on the current share price, which itself is a reflection of the unwillingless of investors to buy in due to the large FR holding and the limited liquidity in the remaining shares. So FR have put themselves in a position where they stop any larger airline group buying into EI thus keeping them vunerable.
    It would give Ryanair Heathrow slots for the first time, I would guess they would have to give a lot of these up if the merger went ahead............
    Not sure how willing the govt would be to allow FR contraol of these.
    I hope Mick gets his way,?
    And allow FR to have a vrtual monopoly on Irish airtravel.....we return to the pre FR era of no choice and high fares.
    Currently FR have too many B737s on order,in fact the recent Boeing strike hasn't hurt FR even though they claim it has. They have crewing issues and are grounding aircraft. Taking over EI would allow them to dispose of the EI A320s,selling some and returning to leaser the other half (unlike FR aircraft, the EI ones can be sold on as is). They could then easily switch them for new B737s. EI only got rid of their last B737 2 years ago(maybe a bit less) Selling or leasing the LHR slots could offset the associated costs off changing the fleet. Obviously this process would take a long time but would allow FR to find a home for those 160 B737 in the pipeline at a time that their expansion is slowing. They could keep the A330 for longhaul,switching to something else in a few years at knockdown price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Confab wrote: »
    Mick did say he'd be coming into cheap transatlantic aircraft in the new year...

heard a romour in work about the transatlantic ac we might be getting. but we have been told there not airbus so far but i will keep ya updated as soon as we get told

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

andy_g wrote: »
    heard a romour in work about the transatlantic ac we might be getting. but we have been told there not airbus so far but i will keep ya updated as soon as we get told

I'd say the odd are if they do get them, they will be 767s, the newer versions have cockpits that are close to the 737-800s making cross training quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

+1 on that I would say

Mick has stated no RyanAtlantic until the prices of aircraft drops.....he has also stated that he will retire from FR 'at the end of the decade'. The media seem to think FR will launch T/A ops next year. Mick may very well wait 2 years for prices to drop then swoop in with a large order for widebodies in 2009 for a launch in 2010/11.

I personally think the B767 seems like a likely candidate,its modernised,its cheap,it plentiful,it has the range and payload capacity. B757 too small even for FR subsidary use, B777 too expensive, B787 too late! On the Airbus side the A330 is the only candidate (A350 too expensive and new,A340 line closing) but currently has a long waiting line.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Anyone who thinks an EI/FR takeover will not result in higher fares all round is living in a fantasy world. What have they, combined 75 % of the Dublin-UK market, and probably around the same between Cork-UK and Cork-Europe?

After the takeover, there would be a huge push to scare off the remaining players, probably via fake giveaway headline fares. Low fares for consumers for months, then the pain would start once the competition retreats: route rationalisations; service downgrades and asset stripping; erosion of working conditions; and huge fare increases. EI/FR would briefly drop the fares if any potential competitor arrived on the scene; based on past experience in Shannon, Knock and Cork with Easyjet, Aer Arann and others, most of them wouldn't bother trying again, and if they did, they'd be unlikely to last long in the face of loss leader fares.

Most of this criticism isn't particular to Ryanair. It is what would happen in any market with a dominant monopoly. Some of us boardsies are old enough to remember Aer Lingus in the 1980s, Telecom Eireann in the 1980s, and er, Eircom in the 2000s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Anyone who thinks an EI/FR takeover will not result in higher fares all round is living in a fantasy world. What have they, combined 75 % of the Dublin-UK market, and probably around the same between Cork-UK and Cork-Europe?

They only operate one European seasonal route from Cork, along with Stansted/Gatwick/Liverpool. Obviously if the merge happened they would have well over 85% of both markets.

They already own 100% of Shannon-UK and 95% Shannon-Europe

They only operate one European seasonal route from Cork, along with Stansted/Gatwick/Liverpool. Obviously if the merge happened they would have well over 85% of both markets.

They already own 100% of Shannon-UK and 95% Shannon-Europe

Yep, 100% of the Shannon market and not long ago tickets could be bought for a round trip Shannon to London for the grand total of €12, and that includes taxes, charges and credit card fee. Never saw Aer Lingus offer anything like that when they were there. They still charge the taxes and charges for the Shannon to Dublin flight, which they're not supposed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Yep, 100% of the Shannon market and not long ago tickets could be bought for a round trip Shannon to London for the grand total of €12,

This is quite interesting and undermines my thesis a bit. The prices for Shannon/Gatwick are still very low despite their near 100% market share. A Fri/Sun return the weekend after next is only €60, and only €90 the weekend before Christmas. To a certain extent they have some competition from Aer Lingus and Aer Arann (Cork/London, Dublin/London and Galway/London) but I find it hard to imagine they are making money out of this.

So why do they stick with it? Are they contractually obliged? Or trying to keep someone else out? I don't fully understand Ryanomics...

This is quite interesting and undermines my thesis a bit. The prices for Shannon/Gatwick are still very low despite their near 100% market share. A Fri/Sun return the weekend after next is only €60, and only €90 the weekend before Christmas. To a certain extent they have some competition from Aer Lingus and Aer Arann (Cork/London, Dublin/London and Galway/London) but I find it hard to imagine they are making money out of this.

So why do they stick with it? Are they contractually obliged? Or trying to keep someone else out? I don't fully understand Ryanomics...

They can't exactly pull out of Shannon after the big fuss they made about Aer Lingus doing that. O'Leary would look like a prize muppet.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 skybus

They still charge the taxes and charges for the Shannon to Dublin flight, which they're not supposed to do.

Biro, you're incorrect with this statement. The only routes as a passenger you shouldn't pay tax on in Ireland are PSO routes. Charges are a seperate issue as each airline imposes different charges. For example a compulsory charge with ryanair is their wheelchair levy, whether used or not. Shannon Dublin is not a PSO route these hence the tax imposed by Aer Lingus on the ticket. Aer Arann don't charge any tax as far as I'm aware on any of their PSO routes including the Kerry Dublin flight when operated by them. It's sad to see Ryanair imposing a tax on this particular flight now that they are operating it under the PSO contract recently awarded to them. Another example of a route is Cork Dublin. This is not a PSO route hence the reason both Ryanair and Aer Arann charge a tax on it whereas the likes of Galway Dublin is null of taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I still think Aer Lingus will be bought by Lufthansa in the next 12 months. I know that Lufthansa has been quite keen on them for some time.

They also have the money available (in cash) to make such a purchase very quickly. I believe they were the most profitable Airline in the world last year, when most other airlines were hardly making any profit.

Seems they are adding some Airlines to their portfolio at the moment. Swiss has already been bought, Brussel Airlines has just been bought (50% now and 50% in a few years), the sale of Austrian airlines to LH will probably completed by friday, BMI has also been completely taken over recently.

And as far as I understand they are very close in agreeing the takeover of SAS as well. They might be very keen to get their hands on AL as a gateway to the US, which then could be fed by SAS, Austrian, Swiss, BMI and Brussel Airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

With the new offer again today plus the promises made by ryanair I would love to see them take over Aer Lingus. The say they will recognize the trade unions, not a good thing in my opinion as that's one of aer lingus problems but it may sweeten the deal.
    No figure has been stated in the media as far as i can find but being honest i would imagine aer lingus will reject this again.

I don't really get the general opinion here that it would be a bad thing, I for one cannot wait for cheaper transatlantic fares. Hopefully Ryanair will still go ahead with that by the end of the year, even if they don't get Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

During Winter not so much, but Gatwick is one of Shannon's best performing routes...

murfie wrote: »
    ................... The say they will recognize the trade unions, not a good thing in my opinion as that's one of aer lingus problems but it may sweeten the deal.....

................... I for one cannot wait for cheaper transatlantic fares. Hopefully Ryanair will still go ahead with that by the end of the year..............
    The problem isn't the recognising of unions it is the historic stranglehold SIPTU had over EI.

Don't hold your breath for the much touted RyanAtlantic.............it is at least 18 months away. FR will wait till aircraft sales drop so they can get better deals on a big order. FR are keeping it in the media as free advertising.

• Advertisement

skybus wrote: »
    Biro, you're incorrect with this statement. The only routes as a passenger you shouldn't pay tax on in Ireland are PSO routes. Charges are a seperate issue as each airline imposes different charges. For example a compulsory charge with ryanair is their wheelchair levy, whether used or not. Shannon Dublin is not a PSO route these hence the tax imposed by Aer Lingus on the ticket. Aer Arann don't charge any tax as far as I'm aware on any of their PSO routes including the Kerry Dublin flight when operated by them. It's sad to see Ryanair imposing a tax on this particular flight now that they are operating it under the PSO contract recently awarded to them. Another example of a route is Cork Dublin. This is not a PSO route hence the reason both Ryanair and Aer Arann charge a tax on it whereas the likes of Galway Dublin is null of taxes.

Cool, thanks. What does PSO stand for? Is that the Government subsidised routes?
    Still though, it's a shame that it costs over €50 each way to Dublin when the plane is going anyway. If they offered it at €20 each way I reckon a lot more people would take the opportunity.

Advertisement