Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy saving security light

Options
  • 01-12-2008 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of standard (budget quality) PIR Halogen lights around the perimeter of my house, they're very useful and have given good service, even though they're not top quality. I saw some "low energy" CFL security lights on display the last time I was in the local builder's providers. They seemed to be very good value and I'm tempted to replace my existing fittings with them. Anyone have any experience with these fittings? I'd be concerned about their performance (low light level, slow response time, warm up period required and longevity of the actual CFL lamp). Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

its not recomended to use cfl lamps with pirs. the constant switching on and off that happens with a pir will lesson the life of the bulb. however you can buy a cfl retro fit lamp that fits into a standard 500 watt halogen fitting like the type you have at present so might work out easier and cheaper to get them instead of replacing the whole fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Thanks northdublin, I reckoned that the constant switching wouldn't be good for the CFL lamp. So there wouldn't be much point in fitting the retro CFL lamp into the existing fitting either as the PIR switching will shorten its life as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

not much point really but it would save you replacing the fittings if you were going to go the cfl route.

Advertisement