Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Trees...

Options
  • 01-12-2008 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭

Anyone know what the trees behind the Burnaby are like, do they have a good selection? Oh and what time do they tend to stay there until? Planning on going tree shopping after work! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Is there a tree farm in the area? Would like to get a 'fresh' one this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Mullie wrote: »

Coilte up in Newtown will sell you a fresh tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Mullie wrote: »

The baseball club will be selling trees to raise funds this weekend at the Scout Hall, Trafalgar Road. We are collecting them from a tree farm early on Saturday morning and the sale is only on this Saturday and Sunday, so we will only be selling fresh trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 essentialjc

I got my tree cut down last year up in Ennsikerry - cant remember the name of the farm....adds a nice touch to getting the tree by getting it cut down - kids love it also - and I remeber the trees were very resonable also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

I like Coilte but they close at 5 so I can't get there before work. My parents went up there for theirs yesterday and got a lovely tree for €45.

I got my tree behind the Burnaby after work yesterday. Nice guy (quite cute actually!), really nice trees. My only gripe was the tree wasn't wrapped up and he wasn't up to any haggling on the price of €45. Really happy with the tree though. Perfectly proportioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

€45? Have these guys not heard theres a recession on? Money really does grow on trees apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Got mine too - despite keen bargaining, Burnaby guy wouldn't budge from €40. Ended up getting tree from guy up near Hassett Estate agents for €37 who offered to deliver it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I got my tree cut down last year up in Ennsikerry - cant remember the name of the farm....adds a nice touch to getting the tree by getting it cut down - kids love it also - and I remeber the trees were very resonable also

Have done this for the last couple of years. Have great fun and the kids love it too :D

Think my tree cost €30 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

abwood always have huge selection. All trees 30 euro last year. We'll be going back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

dr ro wrote: »
    abwood always have huge selection. All trees 30 euro last year. We'll be going back there.

I thought Abwood were told to relocate recently - I went there last year but didnt buy as I thought the trees were fairly shabby. I got my tree from "Mick the Christmas Tree Guy" at Jackie Skelly roundabout, he gives a discount if you ask but I must be getting old as I can't remember how much I paid last year...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wilton

ryecatcher wrote: »
    Got mine too - despite keen bargaining, Burnaby guy wouldn't budge from €40. Ended up getting tree from guy up near Hassett Estate agents for €37 who offered to deliver it too.

christmas trrees, behind the burnaby are proper full trees, the guy who sells them there is helpful and nice, he delivered the tree that evening, and put it up for me. parking was free and easy. my friend told me to go there:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

wilton wrote: »
    christmas trrees, behind the burnaby are proper full trees, the guy who sells them there is helpful and nice, he delivered the tree that evening, and put it up for me. parking was free and easy. my friend told me to go there:)
    So good he's worth taking the time to register for?

Spidey senses say you're a shill.

So good he's worth taking the time to register for?

Spidey senses say you're a shill.

Parking is free and easy..sounds like a bad radio ad;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jabba90

€20- €25 in arklow. for the same ( proper trees !!! ) in arklow. €40-45 is taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

i agree jabba. Paying over 40 is ridiculous. Even 40 is too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 TaraKS

Bought a tree yesterday from Declan, who sells the trees behind the Burnaby. Not remotely knowing my way around (new to the area), the location was easy to find, the service was friendly, and we got a whopping sized tree at a decent, haggled-upon price. He will negotiate! We will likely go back next year. I did check the forum first . . . thanks for the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

I got a tree from yhe guy at Hassetts in Blacklion--on the Bray road.
    They delivered a beautiful fresh tree and they give a donation to charity also
    Good service --friendly locals--I will be back again

TaraKS wrote: »
    Bought a tree yesterday from Declan, who sells the trees behind the Burnaby. Not remotely knowing my way around (new to the area), the location was easy to find, the service was friendly, and we got a whopping sized tree at a decent, haggled-upon price. He will negotiate! We will likely go back next year. I did check the forum first . . . thanks for the lead.

How do his prices compare with €20 in Arklow and €30 in Abwood?

Mick is back up at Jackie Skelly's again for his third year selling trees in Charlesland.

Top man.

Still too early to be buying a tree though! Next week will do nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 TaraKS

Wineman wrote: »
    How do his prices compare with €20 in Arklow and €30 in Abwood?

We paid 45 for an extremely large tree. Felt it was a good value for what we got. The tree is is as wide as it is tall - probably not an average size - and good quality as well. I'm not sure what the smaller ones were priced or what he might take. Happy hunting!

• Advertisement

There are two guys selling trees on the spine road in Charlesland.

They have NO permission to be there and have been asked to move.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY YOUR TREE FROM THEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Swanner wrote: »
    Coilte up in Newtown will sell you a fresh tree.

But it won't be cheap. In fact far from it. If your going as far as newtown your better off going out to abwood. They have a big selection at far more reasonable prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 harbour monster

The chap selling trees at the main green in Charlesland said he would be there every afternoon this week. He is quite reasonable and will deliver for free. His trees are good quality.

The chap selling trees at the main green in Charlesland said he would be there every afternoon this week. He is quite reasonable and will deliver for free. His trees are good quality.

Does this "chap" have permission to sell trees in a private estate I wonder? I thought the main green was an amenity that we all pay for with our management fees - not somewhere anyone who wishes can set up a stall to sell things.

I drove past earlier and those guys looked like pretty rough cookies to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 harbour monster

Wineman wrote: »
    Does this "chap" have permission to sell trees in a private estate I wonder? I thought the main green was an amenity that we all pay for with our management fees - not somewhere anyone who wishes can set up a stall to sell things.

I drove past earlier and those guys looked like pretty rough cookies to me...
    I must say he couldn't of been nicer to my wife. He sold her a six footer for 35 euro and delivered it to our house as well. He has invested heavily in his trees and is providing a good service. Live and let live!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭burberry

any tips on how to stop them shedding i know you can buy non shed but they still loose there needles.

No, not live and let live.

The spine road is PRIVATE property. Those who live here pay for the amenities, not to have someone decide to set up shop.

If you had permission, why did I hear from the residents' committee in the Wood that the gardai were being called?

Once again folks, please DO NOT buy your tree from these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

produce grown in wicklow can be sold at the side of the road
    There is nothing the guards can do about this. FACT

There are a lot of people in Charelsland without transport and this guy delivers---should people without the means of transport be deprived of a tree ?
    Also whilst i haven't met him those who have on this thread say he is a decent guy who has invested in this stock--or he may have grown them himself--he will probably be finished in a week--lets give him a break.
    Way i see it he is providing a service and provided he leaves the place as he found it why would anybody deprive him selling his wares
    No, not live and let live.

The spine road is PRIVATE property. Those who live here pay for the amenities, not to have someone decide to set up shop.

If you had permission, why did I hear from the residents' committee in the Wood that the gardai were being called?

Once again folks, please DO NOT buy your tree from these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Why is it perfectly ok for people to sell trees at the side of the road all over Greystones but as soon as someone tries to do it in Charlesland there’s trouble ?

Anyway, we went down to Brady’s, got a savage tree for €30 after a quick haggle with John and carried it home cause I couldn’t be bothered picking pine needles out of the van for the next week. Felt very Christmassy walking up the road with the kids helping to carry the tree :)

• Advertisement

twogunkid wrote: »
    produce grown in wicklow can be sold at the side of the road
    There is nothing the guards can do about this. FACT

There are a lot of people in Charelsland without transport and this guy delivers---should people without the means of transport be deprived of a tree ?
    Also whilst i haven't met him those who have on this thread say he is a decent guy who has invested in this stock--or he may have grown them himself--he will probably be finished in a week--lets give him a break.
    Way i see it he is providing a service and provided he leaves the place as he found it why would anybody deprive him selling his wares
    Where he is is PRIVATE PROPERTY. Nothing to do with where it is grown.

If he has no permission, he shouldn't be there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement