Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas FM

• 01-12-2008 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

89.9 FM - Anyone else come across this? They have a Temp. Licence until 26th Dec - 24hr Christmas songs - All DJ's are working for free, any money made is going to charity (can't remember which one)

It was cool going for a drive in the cold yesterday and having Christmas songs playing, but I'm sure if it was on all day every day it could get quite annoying!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

Stevie,

The ISPCC are the charity partner for Christmas FM.

TRSJ

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

heard about this one startin up on friday but didnt no what channel. its all in aid of ISPCC and really is a great channel! so nice and relaxing to listening to old, classic christmas hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:D oh goodie, must listen to on sunday when we put up the tree and the rest of decs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have been listening to it on and off since it started up a few days ago. Fair play to the DJs, their heads will be melted by the end of the month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bum Boy

It's a great idea and at the right time of year too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Bum Boy wrote: »
    ... and at the right time of year too

Understatement of the year there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

Mick,

I was just thinking the same thing! The thoughts of running a Christmas station in January had crossed my mind at one stage but we decided on December instead!

In fairness I assume he meant it was the right time of the year to put on a station and link in with a charity to raise funds.

TRSJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Sounds like a commendable enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

This is BRILLIANT! A grumpy grinch of a 5year old cheered up no end by playing this station in the car. Nicely positioned too between Radio1 and the oftenly very good NEAR FM. Now if i could just get the very often excellent Radio Na life moved to around there too it'd save me a lot of twiddling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Their music is dreadful! Same crap over and over. Feels like you`re in a shopping centre. There´s a wealth of wonderful Christmas music but they insist on playing this homoginised rubbish. No choral music at all :mad:. Listened to it for a few days but ended up turning it off. There´s only so much Daffy Duck, The Wombles & Danny Kaye a body can tolerate! Yes it´s for a good cause but how much do I have to spend on text messages to get them to listen to me? I´d rather make my own donation to the ISPCC and play the Christmas Music I like in the comfort of my own home!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Their music is dreadful! Same crap over and over. Feels like you`re in a shopping centre. There´s a wealth of wonderful Christmas music but they insist on playing this homoginised rubbish. No choral music at all :mad:. Listened to it for a few days but ended up turning it off. There´s only so much Daffy Duck, The Wombles & Danny Kaye a body can tolerate! Yes it´s for a good cause but how much do I have to spend on text messages to get them to listen to me? I´d rather make my own donation to the ISPCC and play the Christmas Music I like in the comfort of my own home!

Id love to know what station you are listening to! I havnt heard any Daffy Duck, Wombles or Danny Kaye. As for the 'same crap over and over' eh.....its Christmas music. Its only happens once a year and there is only a certain amount of mainstream christmas music out there.

Once again, let someone come up with a unique idea, put it to air and even try and raise a few quid for a good cause only for it to be torn apart here or radiowaves. Vote with your finger and change the station and play your own christmas choral music in the comfort of your own home.

I dont suppose anybody stopped to say well done to all the presenters that are there doing it TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE. Getting told what a sh1t job you are doing really inspires confidence.

Happy Christmas to you too!

Id love to know what station you are listening to! I havnt heard any Daffy Duck, Wombles or Danny Kaye. As for the 'same crap over and over' eh.....its Christmas music. Its only happens once a year and there is only a certain amount of mainstream christmas music out there.

Once again, let someone come up with a unique idea, put it to air and even try and raise a few quid for a good cause only for it to be torn apart here or radiowaves. Vote with your finger and change the station and play your own christmas choral music in the comfort of your own home.

I dont suppose anybody stopped to say well done to all the presenters that are there doing it TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE. Getting told what a sh1t job you are doing really inspires confidence.

Happy Christmas to you too!
    Em, I did turn it off and I now listen to what I want to listen to! I disagree that there is only a certain amount of mainstream Christmas Music. Perhaps some research would be in order instead of copying each others predictable playlists? As for the presenters doing it for nothing - big wow. I´m sure it won´t do their careers any harm :rolleyes: Enjoy your radio station as you listen to `Grandma got run over by a reindeer´ for the 56th time that day! As Dickens so eloquently put it `Bah, humbug´!

Perhaps you could explain to me that when stations in the US change to an all Christmas format it turns out to be the number one station in the city? The best example being Lite FM in New York. If you think the Christmas FM repeat their music, try listening to that station, and its number one!

So it strikes me as something quite popular. Also you picked 'grandma got run over by a reindeer' as an example. You could add all the other 'big' songs as well to that list that have been played for the 56th time in a day. You are picking on one genre of music, why dont you bash all the other formats at the same time. Oh no not Katy Perry again, or Galway Girl etc etc. The lovezone on Q102 has been playing the same 200 odd lovesongs for 4 years now.

There is research on what is popular. All radio stations do it and maybe Christmas FM didnt do their own research but you cannot ignore the findings that other stations have made in relation to which music is preferred.

Finally, in relation to their text messaging which cost €1, and is donated to the ISPCC. That is a form of advertising, in the same way every way a radio station plugs their texts. Why do you not have people come on and complain and moan and give out about the BBC when they run children in need and they pretty much never stop plugging the phone and text lines. Its a charity, that the whole point, to get people to donate.

Perhaps you could explain to me that when stations in the US change to an all Christmas format it turns out to be the number one station in the city? The best example being Lite FM in New York. If you think the Christmas FM repeat their music, try listening to that station, and its number one!
    Good for the Americans. We wouldn't expect any less of them!

So it strikes me as something quite popular. Also you picked 'grandma got run over by a reindeer' as an example. You could add all the other 'big' songs as well to that list that have been played for the 56th time in a day. You are picking on one genre of music, why dont you bash all the other formats at the same time. Oh no not Katy Perry again, or Galway Girl etc etc. The lovezone on Q102 has been playing the same 200 odd lovesongs for 4 years now. Which is exactly why I never listen to them! BBC Radio 4 and Lyric FM for me!

Finally, in relation to their text messaging which cost €1, and is donated to the ISPCC. That is a form of advertising, in the same way every way a radio station plugs their texts. Why do you not have people come on and complain and moan and give out about the BBC when they run children in need and they pretty much never stop plugging the phone and text lines. Its a charity, that the whole point, to get people to donate. And very laudable it is too. However, they ask for requests and then ignore them so why should I keep on giving my money? I have no doubt that the ISPCC will do extremely well out of this and fair play to whoever came up with the idea.
    It's just not easy listening for everyone :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cheerleader

Good for the Americans. We wouldn't expect any less of them!

So it strikes me as something quite popular. Also you picked 'grandma got run over by a reindeer' as an example. You could add all the other 'big' songs as well to that list that have been played for the 56th time in a day. You are picking on one genre of music, why dont you bash all the other formats at the same time. Oh no not Katy Perry again, or Galway Girl etc etc. The lovezone on Q102 has been playing the same 200 odd lovesongs for 4 years now. Which is exactly why I never listen to them! BBC Radio 4 and Lyric FM for me!

Finally, in relation to their text messaging which cost €1, and is donated to the ISPCC. That is a form of advertising, in the same way every way a radio station plugs their texts. Why do you not have people come on and complain and moan and give out about the BBC when they run children in need and they pretty much never stop plugging the phone and text lines. Its a charity, that the whole point, to get people to donate. And very laudable it is too. However, they ask for requests and then ignore them so why should I keep on giving my money? I have no doubt that the ISPCC will do extremely well out of this and fair play to whoever came up with the idea.
    It's just not easy listening for everyone :P

I think you will find that Z100 and PLJ are way ahead in terms of listenership in New York !regards lite FM they were never No;1 at ant time of year,
    COLOR]

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

I think you will find that Z100 and PLJ are way ahead in terms of listenership in New York !regards lite FM they were never No;1 at ant time of year,
    COLOR]

Are you 100% sure of that? I know that at one point 106.7 Lite FM were #1. But hey, as Don Henley said "in a New York Minute everything can change".

Right now I am listening to Rick Dees play "Bad Santa" !! - He really does do a mean Santa impression!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cheerleader

I lived in New York for 18 months, Z100 have 2.4 million listeners.
    By far the biggest despite what PLJ claimed in their stats.

Stands to reason that a station that goes all Christmas in New York is hardly going to be #1.. half the City is Jewish !!!

I lived in New York for 18 months, Z100 have 2.4 million listeners.
    By far the biggest despite what PLJ claimed in their stats.

Stands to reason that a station that goes all Christmas in New York is hardly going to be #1.. half the City is Jewish !!!

The information you have is slightly wrong. The official figures according to arbitron are for New York:

Millions,

WHTZ - Z100 6.0
    WLTW - Lite 5.4
    WPLJ - PLJ 3.2

That info is correct as of November 2008. So Lite arent Number one, but they were before and will be again no doubt. But if half the 15 Million people that are listening everyday to radio in New York are jewish it stands to reason that some of them are listen to Lite FM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭mizzzy

best radio staion ever...such a good idea!i really hope its on next year...seems to be v popular!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭psychic-hack

It's D Day (donation day) on Christmas FM today....C'mon everybody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Well . . .will Christmas FM be reappearing for 2009?

Altogether now....Feliz Navidad.. . . bam bam bam bam....Feliz Navidad ..bam bam bam bam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

garbanzo wrote: »
    Well . . .will Christmas FM be reappearing for 2009?

Altogether now....Feliz Navidad.. . . bam bam bam bam....Feliz Navidad ..bam bam bam bam
    Yes, from the 30th Nov.
    I hope it's better than last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Yes, from the 30th Nov.
    I hope it's better than last year.

I liked it last year! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Yippppeeee!!!!

I've been looking forward to it coming back all year!

1,2,3...Grandma got run over by a reindeer..... :D

Launches November 30th

100.3 in Dublin
    106.7 in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ChristmasFM

Thanks for all the support last year from everybody here.

Don't forget to spread the word to people in Cork also that we are on there this year aswell and online at www.christmasfm.ie from Monday November 30th.

preset no 3 (above posting) is right about the frequencies and the on-air date.

The station has partnered with the Simon communities this year as our charity partner to raise awareness of their campaigns.

The station is being funded by sponsorship with thanks to The Irish Daily mail and EBS.

Happy Listening

Christmas FM Team

Christmas FM - All Christmas Radio
    Dublin 100.3FM and Cork 106.7
    www.christmasfm.ie
    Join us on facebook , twitter, myspace or bebo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:D:D:D:D

kool la boo la .....

• Advertisement
Advertisement