Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl box and card when moving apartment

Options
  • 01-12-2008 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

I have an ntl digital tv and broadband package in my apartment. Recently I have moved apartment and had tried to move my ntl subscription with me but the company seem to want to make that as confusing as possible so I thought I’d cancel my existing subscription and start a new subscription in my new apartment. At moment ntl are a pain to get any info out of for a date for the installation. However, I have ntl digital tv and broadband in the new apartment at the moment! Is this my old subscription attaching to the ntl box and card or is it there from last tenant? Anyone with similar experience?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The old tenant was still connected up, even if he may have cancelled. Your digital box will work in any house as long as you are subscribed, it takes them to come out and physically disconnect your line in the house. It also needs them to send out a signal to turn off your box if you are not subscribed.

What you are currently doing is possibly illegal, I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

I was lead to believe that the signal was sent out to the card that was to be switched off not the box.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

rubadub wrote: »
    What you are currently doing is possibly illegal, I am not sure.

When one moves house, NTL require one to bring the box with you, so if the OP had done a hosue move with them he would have to bring the box.

But the OP cancelled and has ordered a new sub, so he has to give the box to them when they call to collect it, so either way he has to bring the box to the new house to give it back.

And since they require a months notice to cancel, he is entited to this month or service.

So nothing illegal...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

John Dough wrote: »
    I was lead to believe that the signal was sent out to the card that was to be switched off not the box.:confused:
    Same sort of thing really, they send a signal out, the box picks it up and programs the card. The card is like the key, it can drive any similar upc box.
    But the OP cancelled and has ordered a new sub, so he has to give the box to them when they call to collect it, so either way he has to bring the box to the new house to give it back.

And since they require a months notice to cancel, he is entited to this month or service.

So nothing illegal...
    I would have thought his month of service is only in his old house. His new house may have been left connected, i.e. when you cancel they do not always disconnect. Forget his subsription for a moment, if you move into a house and it has cable connected but not subscribed to, then is it theft of service to use the anagloue signal? If so I would have thought it was theft of service to use even a proper subscribed box on the unsubscribed feed.

e.g. if my mate had a unsubscribed feed into his house, can I loan him my subbed box and he can use it legit?

I do not mean to worry the OP, I cannot imagine them trying to get you for what you are doing, just wondering if it is technically illegal.

Advertisement