Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody tar

Options
  • 01-12-2008 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

I was tarring/ bitchumen my dads shed roof. anyway long story short i got tar on my beige couch. ( did not change work clothes and did not see tar.) anyway i know the girlfriend has not seen it yet as she has no exploded.

is there anyway of removing tar from upholstery?

if this is in the wrong place just move.

( i would have put it in the ladies forum but i thought it was pushing my luck ha ha)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,171 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If there is a lot of it (a blob) then freeze it with ice and pry/peel it off.
    You will then have an oily stain/residue to remove. WD 40 is supposed to be good for this, but it might bleach the fabric so try to somewhere first.
    Dont rub, blot it against the stain to try to lift it onto the cloth you are using.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

there is 2 strips about 30 mm lond and 5 mm wide. i heard about the wd40 but afraid of leavinf oil stain then. problem is that i do not want to dislove the tar then it soaks into the couch and i have a bigger stain than when i started with.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

have used nail varnish remover in the past but the
    problem with using solvents is that they can remove the pigments
    from the leather which is very noticable on darker leather.

usually on the underside of a suite of furniture there is
    attached a sample piece of the leather used,this
    can be useful as a test piece to try remedies before
    you go past the point of no return.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

TRy a bit of butter on kitchen roll, the bitumen will probably leave a stain .

Get her a new sofa for xmas...................

maca

ok i will try the wd40 a bit. will have to do it when she is not here as it will not look good me going anywhere near the couch with another thing which my stain it.

the new couch for xmas is not an option. we are in recessionary times people .....we have to start learning how to fix things!!!!! we cant waste things like we used to!!!

Ha Ha i sound like my da

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

You could try and blame her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭blackbox

+1 for butter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You need a solvent that has no smell, I have used a product that was a highly refined lamp oil, it was not very volatile but would burn,White spirits work well.
    Forget petrol it STINKS.

you see what i am afraid of is that i will just replace one stain with another!! so i would be wary about using any type of oil.... ie butter... lamp oil etc.

and as for blaming her....... the closest she has ever got to tar was rolling over it in her car. so that unfortunbately is not an option.

she saw it .... i played the "what is that and how did it get there" card but needless to say she knew i had something to do with it.

i think i will try the wd40 soaked cloth and see how i get on with that.

the couch is fabric and i would be afraid of something dissolving the tar then the stain spreading through out the fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

WD40 is Oil as well! and not to mention it has a strong odour.
    You are better off using a solvent like I said.
    At least white spirits will evaporate, unlike butter!

• Advertisement

True true.

i will get some white spirits and some wd 40 and try them out on the back of the couch and see what it looks/ smells like!!

worst case scenario ...... it will be brought up in every argument we will have!! ha ha

Advertisement