Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something rattling inside my now empty mini keg of beer

Options
  • 01-12-2008 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I got a mini keg of beer and finished it and now hear some object inside rattling around. I have had several of these and non had this rattle. i.e. it is not some widget like guinness have.

I do not want to open it since the company might not believe it was really in it. But on the other hand if I give it to them I expect they will take it away and could open it up and see some rusty toxic thing in it, and then just say it was a safe bit of tin from the canning process.

It sounds like something metal inside, I might cut open another empty keg to see if there are bits inside that could have fallen off. Hopefully it is nothing toxic.

I am not out to just screw them for a claim, but think I deserve something if I was potential posioned (other than the beer!), and I still do think they would just say it was safe and fob be off with a few crates.

Any ideas on what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

ruprect wrote: »
    I
    I am not out to just screw them for a claim, but think I deserve something if I was potential posioned (other than the beer!), and I still do think they would just say it was safe and fob be off with a few crates.

Any ideas on what to do?

'potentially poisoned' - thats a good one! everytime you eat out you there is the potential to be poisoned - you don't know what goes on in the kitchen you just hope they are clean. The thing that matters is if you are poisoned or not....so....
    did you or any of the other people who drank the beer have any unexpected adverse effects (not stemming from overindulgence)?
    if the answer is no, and you were fine then get over it.
    So there is a something rattling around in there. So what? you weren't poisoned. Did you have a good time when drinking the keg? did you enjoy the beer? if so then move on.

it is quite clear that you are in fact trying to get a few free beer - I know the economic climate isn't great, but are we all so desperate for a freebie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I got a mini keg of beer and finished it and now hear some object inside rattling around. I have had several of these and non had this rattle. i.e. it is not some widget like guinness have.

I do not want to open it since the company might not believe it was really in it. But on the other hand if I give it to them I expect they will take it away and could open it up and see some rusty toxic thing in it, and then just say it was a safe bit of tin from the canning process.

It sounds like something metal inside, I might cut open another empty keg to see if there are bits inside that could have fallen off. Hopefully it is nothing toxic.

Any ideas on what to do?
    it is probably some kind of seal on the inside of the keg that when opened this seal breaks and allows the beer to flow, maybe in this case the seal instead of breaking just came away from the top and dropped into the beer where it would be no harm at all and it floats so you only hear it not that the keg is empty? or it could be some kind of widget that should stay attached to the keg but has broken loose inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

Why dont you just video yourself opening it before you contact them, then you could show them you didnt put it in there..
    Otherwise it will only drive you mad for the rest of your life wondering!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Any staff from Heiniken/carlsberg/etc missing their 1/2 carat diamond from their engagement ring?

Boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

'potentially poisoned' - thats a good one!
    Thanks for the show of concern :rolleyes:
    The thing that matters is if you are poisoned or not....so....
    did you or any of the other people who drank the beer have any unexpected adverse effects (not stemming from overindulgence)?
    Not that I have noticed yet, but that does not mean I have not been poisoned. You might be only thinking of food poisoning which could be a next day or same day symptoms, i.e. bacteria on food. I work in engineering and am well aware of the hazards of metal poisoning, I trust you do not have a clue.
    if the answer is no, and you were fine then get over it.
    Yeah just like those whingers moaning about breathing in asbestos or lead poisoning in water and passive smoking. Sure they all seemed fine the next day :rolleyes:

it is quite clear that you are in fact trying to get a few free beer
    I do expect something if I go to the bother of pointing out a problem. Do you honestly think they should not be informed of a potential problem in their production line? and that they would not be grateful?
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    or it could be some kind of widget that should stay attached to the keg but has broken loose inside?
    Hopefully so, I will cut another open, I shook the other empty one really well to see if it would come off.
    coco06 wrote: »
    Why dont you just video yourself opening it before you contact them, then you could show them you didnt put it in there..
    Good idea. My mates brother was a rep with them, I might ask him whats best to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yeah just like those whingers moaning about breathing in asbestos or lead poisoning in water and passive smoking. Sure they all seemed fine the next day :rolleyes:

Something like that would be due to long-term exposure. It would be the same for heavy metal poisoning - it would require more long-term exposure than simply having a few pints from a contaminated source.

Any direct effect should be felt within 48hrs, otherwise, you're fine.

If you've doubts, send the keg back and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Paulw wrote: »
    Something like that would be due to long-term exposure. It would be the same for heavy metal poisoning - it would require more long-term exposure than simply having a few pints from a contaminated source.

Any direct effect should be felt within 48hrs, otherwise, you're fine.

If you've doubts, send the keg back and see what they say.
    asbestosis can/has been caused through minimal exposure and often from contact with the person that was originally contaminated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

You have no idea what this piece of metal is, but already you're talking about claims and cover-ups... give the company a chance.

I do expect something if I go to the bother of pointing out a problem.

What if it's not actually a problem? What if you just broke the seal while opening the keg?

In the past I have accidently dropped the ring pull into a can of coke while opening it. Should I go after Coke for a claim for my time?
    You never know, that ring pull could cause me all sorts of poisoning!!!!!

You're not on their payroll..

I work in the food industry, for one of the largest food companies in the world.
    I deal with foreign body complaints every day (we are a huge company and get 0.5 complaints for every million units sold. We sell many millions of units so I am busy).

You were not injured so only a desperate solicitor would take your case.
    And you don't even know what the piece of metal is because that big bad mean beer company might not believe you???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Ring the company and ask for their quality/ technical function. Explain to them what has happened and ask if there is a rational explanation for the problem.

Companies such as breweries are not interested in cover ups; if there is a genuine problem, then there may be other similarly affected kegs, and they may need to recall them rather than have a more serious issue present itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Any ideas on what to do?

just be careful with those kitchen knives - they potentially could kill you if used incorrectly. Don't forget the ladder, the car & crossing the road.... damn we must all run to the hills and live like hermits...sure you might catch hypertermia and die there too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

ruprect are you joking? if its not a heinken keg, the instructions actually tell you to push the plug down into the keg, obviously that's what's rattling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

heggie wrote: »
    ruprect are you joking? if its not a heinken keg, the instructions actually tell you to push the plug down into the keg, obviously that's what's rattling

This is no time for joking!!!!!!!

That piece of metal could have potentially caused him to potentially spontaneously combust!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

This is no laughing matter guys, ruprect deserves to be recompensed for the beer that was perfectly fine when he drank it and even though it tasted like beer it could actually have been a beer/metal hybrid.

Give the keg to CSI they should have the technology to crack that deathtrap open.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is most probably some sort of widget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Jaysoose wrote: »
    This is no laughing matter guys, ruprect deserves to be recompensed for the beer that was perfectly fine when he drank it and even though it tasted like beer it could actually have been a beer/metal hybrid.

Give the keg to CSI they should have the technology to crack that deathtrap open.
    67714.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Time to break out the Gas chromatography-mass spectrometer, that thing can identify anything.

Open the keg and see what it is already. It'll be nothing harmful, unless you eat it.
    reprect wrote:
    I work in engineering and am well aware of the hazards of metal poisoning, I trust you do not have a clue.

Is the keg metal? If so, you should be very worried, what with your engineering background and all. Unless the metal object is radioactive, or soluble in beer, then I don't see the problem. Neither of these should be anywhere near the brewing and packing process, so it's not likely to be one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Time to break out the Gas chromatography-mass spectrometer, that thing can identify anything.

It does have certain limitations...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Lol this is more like an AH thread than consumer issues.

OP if your plan for free beer works will you pm me and give me the details. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Why is Horatio simultaneously putting on and wearing a pair of sunglasses? That's what I want to know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Newaglish wrote: »
    Why is Horatio simultaneously putting on and wearing a pair of sunglasses? That's what I want to know

Because he's H......... Duuuuuuuuuh:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

What type of minikeg is it???
    Is it the heineken keg or the standard minikeg like this....

180px-N16700030_30460916_1129.jpg

If it is, dont worry!!! Your gona live!!:rolleyes:

These kegs have a hole in the top for tapping if you have your own tap.
    When you tap them you have to pull out the red thing at the top and push down a small piece of plastic with the pipe of the tap.
    Thats what your hearing rattling. No harm at all!! When you drank the beer, all the pressure came out of the keg and the piece of plactic must av fallen into the keg!!!

Case closed.......:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Im almost sure it says on the side of the keg not to open it pressured container. It might be like the guinness cans a plastic ball in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

OP did you open that keg yet?

The suspense is killing me here!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Some of the posts here are beyond inane. Please be helpful.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Thanks for the show of concern :rolleyes:

I am sure that those 'whingers' who are dying of paiful and debilitating pulmonary diseases sympathise with your terrible potential poisoning.

get a grip, comparing a rattle in a keg with asbestos poisoning - someone really does need to get a sense of perspective!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Sure those mini kegs are sh!te anyway. The beers all foamy and tastes manky.

Get yourself some bottles man!

But beware of the detachable cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Sure those mini kegs are sh!te anyway. The beers all foamy and tastes manky.

Get yourself some bottles man!

But beware of the detachable cap.

You have to chill it for at least 12 hours otherwise half of it will come out in foam form and taste manky.

Read the Instructions ffs :)

Advertisement