Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun lisence problem

Options
  • 01-12-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I sold a shotgun last summer and the new owner has it lisenced in Kerry. I have bought a new gun and its in the dealer in Galway. In september I met with local seargent to renew lisneces and get shougun transferred; a simple procedure I would have thought. I have been trying to meet with this Sergent since but its difficult with him only part time at rural station & i work away during the week...Last week I got my lisences in post [self addressed stamped envelope] but the shotgun was renewed as the same gun sold in Kerry so there are now 2 lisences for this gun one in Kerry and 1 in Mayo; & I am not able to get my new gun !
    I happened to meet the Seargent and explained this however he said not too worry that he had sent off new gun details to Dublin for transfer that it will be back in a matter of weeks. This is very frsutrating and sounds unnecessary.
    Has anybody got experiance of this - is there any hope of having my new gun for a shot over Christmas or a way to expedite this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

it happened to me when i left my gun into a dealer and he sold it and the following july i got a renewal cert in the post. i went to the guards and explained and it was sorted. But i was not waiting on a transfer to a new gun at the time so im not sure how you will fair out. i would understand that you should be able to get the new gun as you dont have anything to do with that gun, it is an error by the guards on paperwork.i dont see why you couldnt get the new one. im waiting at the moment for a trasfer for a new gun, sold my old one to my brother in law and he is waiting on the licence for it so i have my own until he gets licence and then i will go to guards to get my cert changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I moved house 2 years ago. Informed local station of the move. One letter still goes to my old address and the other to a different numbered house in my estate!! Have reported it several times come re-newal time. Fingers crossed for next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Scoogles

I had a similar problem a few years ago. but it was sorted out by the guard simply writing the new gun details on the existing cert and putting his stamp and signaturre on it. The next july the cert came with my new gun details printed on it. It should be just the same as a substitution and you should be able to collect your new gun straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭emcor

Yep thats what I thought too scoogles - will try to persuade him to do same too. Bit delicite as these lads seem to think anyone suggesting alternatives is trying to out smart them? Fingers crossed.
    Thanks all.

Advertisement