Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toll Increases

Options
  • 01-12-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Didn't see a thread on this. As most would know by now the M4 toll has increase by 10cent for a car. This is to allow the 0.5% vat increase. Now by my mahts, and I am open to correction, 0.5% increase on €2.70 would make the toll €2.715 or lets round it up to €2.72. Why are they allowed to get away with the extra 8 cent increase? The road was only opened 2 or 3 months and the charge went up. Were they not supposed to get permission to increase the tolls, like ESB and Bord Gas?

Also, did the M50 go up? If so how much?

Edit, just read the M50 toll rates, VAt is not Applicaple, therefore they should not be increased.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Ya got caught out on this on my way to Dublin this morning toll plaza me with change ready in hand and next I have to go looking for another 10cent.

Pain in the ass really, did the tolls come down when the vat rate went down all those years ago? I bet the answer is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

I'm from Mullingar and I never use this road. It's a total rip off, nearly 6 quid just to get home and back to Dublin for the weekend! It's madness. Do people actually use this every day?
    I drive down the old N4, i timed it and I arrive 10 minutes later at best. It's really not worth the money.

And when I used to use it, the amount of people that would skip the toll was unreal! The barriers are so slow. I don't bl;ame people cos it's such a rip, but still it's very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kayos wrote: »
    Ya got caught out on this on my way to Dublin this morning toll plaza me with change ready in hand and next I have to go looking for another 10cent.

Pain in the ass really, did the tolls come down when the vat rate went down all those years ago? I bet the answer is no.

I believe we didn't charge VAT on tolls at the time the rate became 20% for a short while...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

I use the N4 all the time but avoid the toll (its a dual carriageway FFS) Ten minutes extra going around but only twice, or four times a week for me.

Anyway saw an article on it; they say that the current toll is 2.74 rounded to the nearest 10c is 2.70. The VAT increase brings it to 2.76 rounded to 2.80.
    And another increase in new year for inflation!!!!! :(

The M50 is run by the goverment so they can't charge VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Damomayo wrote: »
    Anyway saw an article on it; they say that the current toll is 2.74 rounded to the nearest 10c is 2.70. The VAT increase brings it to 2.76 rounded to 2.80.
    And another increase in new year for inflation!!!!! :(

That is why it has gone up.

There a thread over in commuting and transport bout it, I think thats where i saw it anyway.

Essentially the .5% of VAT brings the toll to over 2.75 and so its rounded up instead of down.

Money for nothing:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement