Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas bill 3times last bill

• 01-12-2008 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

i just got my gas bill in the door and was expecting it would be higher than the last one considering the increas in prices and slight increase in usage over the winter months but this bill is claiming i used 1834kwh compared with 592kwh for the last bill, over three times as much gas!

is there any way to check the amount used or to check the accuracy of the meter? as even for the winter bill this seems like too much of an increase in usage to be considered normal by me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

It might be down to getting estimates for the last couple of bills and then getting an accurate reading. Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

murphym7 wrote: »
    It might be down to getting estimates for the last couple of bills and then getting an accurate reading. Maybe.

murphym7 sounds right to me.

When was the last time you read your meter and rang in the reading? or had a meter reading by Bord Gais? if you've not had this done in a while then your last few bills were estimates of what you used - estimated against the last time you did send in a reading, and if that was summer, then they are estimating the use way below what it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

murphym7 sounds right to me.

When was the last time you read your meter and rang in the reading? or had a meter reading by Bord Gais? if you've not had this done in a while then your last few bills were estimates of what you used - estimated against the last time you did send in a reading, and if that was summer, then they are estimating the use way below what it is now.

it would appear my last two bills at least were taken from readings as there is nothing to suggest they were estimated(no e after readings) and i have even dropped from the B usage band to the lower A band suggesting my usage has been dropping making this current amount even more suspect?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There was another post here about someone with similar issue. What it came down to was that the Bord Gais system had added a multiplier in the bills sent out, 40k people affected as I recall. Simply call and qury the bill and see if you're affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nody wrote: »
    There was another post here about someone with similar issue. What it came down to was that the Bord Gais system had added a multiplier in the bills sent out, 40k people affected as I recall. Simply call and qury the bill and see if you're affected.
    yes i will do that and thanks for the info, but it seems they are not in their offices or answering phones until tomorrow to facilitate the introduction of a new website for customer accounts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 braeburn

Hi there,
    I too got a huge bill compared to my last few bills. The last ones were in the region of 57euro and Friday's bill was 165.64euro - I couldn't believe it so I rang them and guess what they said. Because it was an estimate? My meter hadn't been read since March. So I read my meter for them and they said that judging from my meter reading that my next bill in January 09 will be in the region of 800 euro!!!! For the same period last year there was a jump from 105euro in Nov to 225euro in Jan. How can this new bill be possible? To go from 225euro in Jan 08 to circa 800euro in Jan 09? And it's a tiny two-bed house where the heating is never on during the day as I'm out and only a few hours in the evening?
    Can anybody advise what I should do? Could my meter be broken? Who can I go to for help. I really can't afford the bill as I was recenlty laid off and am doing a FAS course. I would appreciate any guidance. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

My bill in September was 57 euro and the one I got last week was 256! Not surprised really as the heating has been on a huge amount since the beginning of October. We have a four bed detached house which doesn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

braeburn wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Can anybody advise what I should do? Could my meter be broken? Who can I go to for help. I really can't afford the bill as I was recenlty laid off and am doing a FAS course. I would appreciate any guidance. thanks.

You might qualify for the fuel allowance? Worth a shot :)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/extra-social-welfare-benefits/fuel_allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 braeburn

thanks. i'll look into it.

Advertisement