Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parent-child swim classes?

Options
  • 01-12-2008 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

heya

i have a five week old bundle of fun, and a friend was telling me yesterday of taking her baby swimming- the kid loved it, sounded great!

i was wondering if anyone knows of baby swimming sessions in dublin anywhere? i'm near sandymount, so hopefully not too far away.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭timbel

Just to let you know, my doctor suggested not bringing my son swimming until he'd got his 6 month jabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

Yeah five weeks is definitly too young, they can pick up all sorts of things.. I waited til my son was 6 or 7 months before i brought him, and that was on a weekend away in a really nice hotel, as i figured it was bound to be a lot cleaner, less busy, with better and cleaner changing facilities, which it was, and the water was warmer. Since then i brought him once up to coolmine parent and baby hour, but the pool was cold and he was shivering so we didn't stay long. Like you i was really looking forward to introducing him to the water but what we did in the early months was take loads of baths together which were great bonding experiences..

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Sportsco on Southlotts Road might do a parent and Baby hour

• Registered Users Posts: 18,350 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Marrion College in Sandymount have a class on Sat. and during the week, they will show you what to do with the baby, we used to see some very young babies, I cant remember now when we started, but they will normally only suggest 5 or 10 min first couple of times.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

timbel wrote: »
    Just to let you know, my doctor suggested not bringing my son swimming until he'd got his 6 month jabs.

Same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

timbel wrote: »

The advice from the doctor was 4 months in the case of my two kids. After the second set of jabs, which is at 4 months I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 searlet

Hi,

Just thought I'd throw this into the topic, the NHS research in the UK suggests that it is safe to bring a baby swimming at ANY age. The HSE info is way out of sync with the rest of Europe on this subject.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1035.aspx

Also look at www.waterbabies.ie

Happy Swimming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The doc in the hospital told me 3 months, GP told me 4 months and woman in the swimming pool told me "not till she's had all her jabs" (she'll be a bleedin adult by then!!)

I'm gonna take her at 4 months after her second set of jabs though... went to my local pool today to talk to em about it (Finglas) and was told that because nobody was turning up for the swim hour they cancelled it and just to bring her up whenever I wanted...

EDIT: That water babies course looks soooo good... I'm gonna ring em tomorrow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 searlet

I hope you bring her sooner rather than later, the waterbabies course is excellent according to some of the posts od rollercoaster.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have been bringing my nipper since she was 5 mths to a pool in Islandbridge. They do a supervised parent child splashabout on Saturday mornings.

The Water Babies crowd claim many of their kids are around 6 weeks. I would have gone there if I'd known about it before - especially since it's only up the road.

Go for it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭face2face

Adrieanne X, we often go to Finglas, but we don't bring the baby because the water is absolutely freezing. Even the older ones, 4 and 7, can only last 20 mins before they turn blue. The De Paul pool on the Navan road is warm and has a baby pool too, is attached to a school, so you would need to phone to get the hours. The changing facilities are old and a bit shabby, but well worth the trip for the warmer water imo. I think the CRC pool in Clontarf is also warmer and has some mum and baby swimming classes. HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

face2face wrote: »
    Adrieanne X, we often go to Finglas, but we don't bring the baby because the water is absolutely freezing. Even the older ones, 4 and 7, can only last 20 mins before they turn blue. The De Paul pool on the Navan road is warm and has a baby pool too, is attached to a school, so you would need to phone to get the hours. The changing facilities are old and a bit shabby, but well worth the trip for the warmer water imo. I think the CRC pool in Clontarf is also warmer and has some mum and baby swimming classes. HTH

Thanks for letting me know! The Water Babies, they have classes in De Paul but it's full :( the only space they have available is in the Clarion in Liffey Valley and I don't drive :(.

They're looking to expand though, so hopefully they'll have a space soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Smylee

I have bought my littl egirl to Marion College sonce she was 12 wks old, and she was swimming with armbands by the time she was 7mths, and there is no stopping her now.
    They are fantastic done there, you can find out times on their website.

Happy Swimming

Advertisement