Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy turf/wood in Dublin

Options
  • 01-12-2008 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to buy turf/wood for my fire and am wondering if anyone knows anywhere around Dublin or West county Dublin that sells turf or wood. Also how much does it cost per bag?
    I heared that coal is prohibited in Dublin, is that correct?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I buy all my fuels here, if you want to come to the Donaghmede area

http://www.eddiessmokelessfuels.com/

'Smokey' coal is prohibited, smokeless isn't. I'm sure there's place in West Dublin. Maybe look at the Golden Pages

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

Eddies looks like a fine establishment.

On a related topic.. is anybody well versed in the price of gas.

Specifically calor gas for a super-ser. ( I think they are all stardard.)

With the price of oil coming down, did gas come down ??

Was quoted €31 (or €35) in a local shop.

Does it get much better ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ljr

The <SNIP> family in Wicklow will deliver wood to your door. I have used them for the past ten years. Telephone - <SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

gordons fuels on harolds cross bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Have been looking around and I think that the price of briquettes in the likes of Woodies DIY is fairly dear.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what to buy which is better to burn and cheaper?

Can't beat the aul open fire :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

This is the only place I know. Way cheaper than Woodies and the likes!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055431012

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Threads merged.
    connundrum wrote: »
    Can't beat the aul open fire :)
    Can't beat the convienence of a push button gas-fuelled boiler. ;)

.....and they have yet to invent an open fire which prepares and lights itself to heat the house in advance! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 David_M

Im new to this boards crack so im not sure if this goes here but...

I was wondering where could i buy turf bags? and how much is a plot of turf on the bog? I know its in around €130 for half a plot is that expensive? And how much is a bag of turf going for these days? Any of these questions answered would be a great help thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

We have cut turf in the Dublin mountains, just close to Glencree, since the 1970s. Great heat and far cheaper than buying it. Good fun cutting it and doing all the other jobs to get it ready. Too late for this year, but look into it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

Bags of turf I think are going for around about 2 to 3 euro a bag, shop around a bit. I work on a bog cutting turf during the summer, i think the going rate was around 50 to 60 euro for a 10 sod wide row that goes for 100 yards to cut alone. If you had to buy it on the ground you could probably double that, may get it cheaper though. The pricing was over my pay grade though so these are estimates!

There is no comparison with the price of oil though, as im sure turf users will agree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

David_M wrote: »
    Im new to this boards crack so im not sure if this goes here but...

I was wondering where could i buy turf bags? and how much is a plot of turf on the bog? I know its in around €130 for half a plot is that expensive? And how much is a bag of turf going for these days? Any of these questions answered would be a great help thanks.

If half a plot is €130, then a plot is €260, no? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

flanzer wrote: »
    I buy all my fuels here, if you want to come to the Donaghmede area

http://www.eddiessmokelessfuels.com/

'Smokey' coal is prohibited, smokeless isn't. I'm sure there's place in West Dublin. Maybe look at the Golden Pages

Have to +1 for these lads. Very reasonable and very helpful. Only buy our coal, turf etc there now, much cheaper than anywhere else I've looked.

Advertisement