Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One-year freeze on drink prices

Options
  • 01-12-2008 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1201/alcohol.html

Only a freeze, not enough, should be at least a 25% cut. :mad:

My local is now only open at weekends, has curtailed the dinners as well because people are leaving the pubs in droves. I've heard of other pubs doing the same.

Only hope with this news today is the publicans attitude slowly changing and recognising they have a problem with prices instead of jacking them up every few months.
    Lets hope they have cop-on to cut prices soon or they go out of business and they deserve it.:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

They're gonna do this in January, right? Reckon the prices'll increase tenfold during December. Tenfold I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I think we may at last see the end of the pub being the only way to socalise in this country. Not because we don't love drink, but because we simply wont be able to afford it.

They will never lower their prices, their attitudes have to change first. Joe public's attitude changed soon enough when his pockets didint have the same jingle. So will the publicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Aww, bless.

They only put the price up a few weeks back and now they expect us to start going out again because they are freezing the prices for a year?

Fúck the greedy bastards up their greedy arses.

I can kind of forgive them for the recent price rise due to the price of oil skyrocketing, but it went waaaay back down and we should benefit from that too.

Let the bastards suffer and buy your drink from an off licence until they lower the price of a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Rerra,

My local has closed its lounge during weekdays and the funny thing about this pub is that people avoid it, not because its not a nice pub or the clientele are dodgy, but mainly because the staff are rude & ignorant. They don't seem to be aware of the fact that this is the consensus around the area as to why they don't get business, and this is brand new pub, less than a year old, with no expenses spared on the decor, etc. Lovely place to go for a drink only for the staff treating you like you are lucky to be served!

Freezing the price of drink for a year won't make me go out for a pint any sooner. Maybe take 20% or a Euro off the price of a pint and then I'll think about it, until then, go fu*k yourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

A pint should never be more than a fiver, but that's long gone sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Vim Fuego wrote: »

You're drinking in the wrong pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Yeah. Callanan's pub on the quays in Cork, 3 euro for a Beam, 3.60 for Murphs and less than 4 for a Heineken. Best stout in the city too so it's win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

You're drinking in the wrong pubs.

Sorry, I mean that even when you go into a fancier place in the city centre that you know has stupid prices, a pint should still never break that barrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Darragh29 wrote: »
    but mainly because the staff are rude & ignorant.

Barmen in my local are sound enough but the lounge girls are unreal. Pure ****e and really pisses me off. One especially, stands by the bar all night and every so often goes to collect glasses. She'll come over - 'giz dat glass there will eh', she'll start hoovering the pub at 11 and get people to move out of their seats to the bar, and god forbid you order a drink off her... I especially loved her response to - Pint of miller please, - "Yeh, im jus goin' tayleh".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Terry wrote: »
    Aww, bless.

They only put the price up a few weeks back and now they expect us to start going out again because they are freezing the prices for a year?

Fúck the greedy bastards up their greedy arses.

I can kind of forgive them for the recent price rise due to the price of oil skyrocketing, but it went waaaay back down and we should benefit from that too.

Let the bastards suffer and buy your drink from an off licence until they lower the price of a pint.

+1

the owl bag of wine in box and block of cheese in front of the telly mad sophisticated

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Price of Dutch Gold has gone by 50c

this is an outrage!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

My local put its prices up twice this year alone, and now its 5:30 a pint of heineken. ****ing joke. The only reason i go there is cause the nearest other pub's pints are so bad and the pub itself is such a hole we stopped going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

this is an outrage!!!!!

Thank you Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

this is an outrage!!!!!

Won't someone pleeeaasssse think of the children!!!

It's back to methalated spirits and drain-cleaner for me so

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair, if the Government were implementing this I'd be skeptical. But that the VFI themselves have finally made the connection between high prices and dropping trade is a promising sign.

They've spent the last 10 years shafting the pubs at every opportunity, now it's time to return the favour. Perhaps next Summer when they realise that the prices are still too high they'll *gasp* start charging reasonable margins on alcohol. Am I dreaming? :)

It's worth noting the Thomas Read group, who own many of the wankery over-priced pubs in Dublin such as Ron Black's and the Bailey, are insolvent because they've been wringing their customers necks for too long.

It's still very possible to get a good pint in Dublin for less than a fiver. Vote with your feet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

So the prices will stay high?

While offo and supermarket prices get lower and lower... LOL.

noblestee wrote: »
    Barmen in my local are sound enough but the lounge girls are unreal. Pure ****e and really pisses me off. One especially, stands by the bar all night and every so often goes to collect glasses. She'll come over - 'giz dat glass there will eh', she'll start hoovering the pub at 11 and get people to move out of their seats to the bar, and god forbid you order a drink off her... I especially loved her response to - Pint of miller please, - "Yeh, im jus goin' tayleh".

Well this pub I'm mentioning above, which is basically being boycotted locally because the staff are obnoxious, and has recently shut its lounge/main bar area during weekdays due to no business, is owned by none other than the president of the LVA (Licensed Vintners’ Association), Louis Fitzgerald!

It makes me laugh how these guys invent millions into a pub and it struggles to do business for the most simplest of reasons, because the staff have an attitude problem!?!?!?! :D:D:D

Only a year or two ago, these same pubs that are struggling to survive now, were turning away people at the door because they didn't like the look of them on a Saturday night! Maybe if they were a little more friendly over the years and didn't treat paying customers like absolute sh*te, people would be more inclined now to keep them in business. I deliberately avoid/boycott my local now, for pints and also for off licence purchases, I go to the local shop which is cheaper and the staff there at least appreciate your business...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

They stopped Whitherspoons from opening pubs over here because they promised to bring in lower prices. I have zero sympathy for the greedy bastids. A price freeze is an insult when they have been ass raping punters for years, I now know the guy in the off licence better than I do the barmen in my local! Fcuk 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Smart Bug wrote: »
    They're gonna do this in January, right? Reckon the prices'll increase tenfold during December. Tenfold I say.

"Publicans have announced a one-year freeze on drink prices with immediate effect."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

seamus wrote: »
    To be fair, if the Government were implementing this I'd be skeptical. But that the VFI themselves have finally made the connection between high prices and dropping trade is a promising sign.

They're about 2/3 years too late though.

• Advertisement

Holsten wrote: »
    So the prices will stay high?

While offo and supermarket prices get lower and lower... LOL.
    There's the thing.
    There has been very little change in the price of a take-out in the last 17 years.

I have a vague recollection of a can of Budweiser being £1.18 (€1.50) 15 years ago. It's now around €1.90.
    40 cents in 15 years is not much of a rise and doesn't really reflect the rate of inflation.

Pints on the other hand.

I think it was about £2 (€2.54) back then in my local. Now it's €4.50.

Terry wrote: »
    There's the thing.
    There has been very little change in the price of a take-out in the last 17 years.

I have a vague recollection of a can of Budweiser being £1.18 (€1.50) 15 years ago. It's now around €1.90.
    40 cents in 15 years is not much of a rise and doesn't really reflect the rate of inflation.

Pints on the other hand.

I think it was about £2 (€2.54) back then in my local. Now it's €4.50.

My local off licence is selling bottles of Millar for 1.99 Euro. The local shop, a stones throw away, is selling the same bottles of Millar for 1 Euro. A 50% difference in price, and these guys wonder why they have no business!?!?! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

this is an outrage!!!!!

1226007657965.jpg

Yeah, when 6 Bavaria went up to 7.50, that was when the recession really struck home with me. I've quite boozing for the last few weeks anyway, intend on getting bollocksed at my birthday though. I feel a lot better not boozing 4+ times a week and I'm actually able to buy nice things now but my social life has slowed down quite a lot. Really opens your eyes when you realise the only thing you make time for with your mates is getting langered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

How nice of them:rolleyes:

I really wish the publicans would get there act together. I for one dont like drinking at home its boring and you cannot have nice pints of Guinness. I still go to the pub as my local isnt too bad at 3.80 for a pint and only the owner and his brother work there and they are sound. Another pub a bit further away I go to some weekends are very decent with there prices 2 pints of Guinness a pint of smithwicks and a pint of Heineken less than 15 euro!! As I like drinking in pubs I then save money by bringing a filled hip-flask to clubs with me so I only have to buy the mixers:D!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Darragh29 wrote: »
    My local off licence is selling bottles of Millar for 1.99 Euro. The local shop, a stones throw away, is selling the same bottles of Millar for 1 Euro. A 50% difference in price, and these guys wonder why they have no business!?!?! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    The off licences aren't really worried about that though, they're doing a roaring trade. By and large off licences have a better selection of beers than supermarkets and are open till 10pm. Even if they are charging an extra €1 for a bottle of miller, they're still €3.50 cheaper than the same bottle in a pub. So either way people feel like they're saving huge money. And they are.

Even if the pubs are way too late with this, people still want to go to the pub. It's far easier to meet six mates in the pub for a bit of craic than to try and get them all to go to someone's house (which mightn't be close to them) and then having to clean up afterwards.
    They can easily reclaim the pub trade if they just drop the frickin prices. If a pint of Guinness was €3.25, they'd be jammed to rafters with people, delighted that they can have their 3 pints on a weeknight for less than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Vim Fuego wrote: »

Exactly. A pledge that there's a €5 ceiling on the price of a pint would have much more effect than this so called price freeze. €5.70 for a pint today is as much a rip-off as it will be in six months and there's no way getting around that.

Myself, my friends and most everyone I know now forgoes the pub in favour of drinking at home before heading directly to a club/gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Thank God the price of glue has stayed much the same over the years, dunno where I'd be without it. Bucket of Evo can last at least 6 months.

seamus wrote: »
    The off licences aren't really worried about that though, they're doing a roaring trade. By and large off licences have a better selection of beers than supermarkets and are open till 10pm. Even if they are charging an extra €1 for a bottle of miller, they're still €3.50 cheaper than the same bottle in a pub. So either way people feel like they're saving huge money. And they are.

Even if the pubs are way too late with this, people still want to go to the pub. It's far easier to meet six mates in the pub for a bit of craic than to try and get them all to go to someone's house (which mightn't be close to them) and then having to clean up afterwards.
    They can easily reclaim the pub trade if they just drop the frickin prices. If a pint of Guinness was €3.25, they'd be jammed to rafters with people, delighted that they can have their 3 pints on a weeknight for less than a tenner.
    It's just a pity they won't do that.

I'd happily pay €4 for a pint of bud.
    That way I can go over with €20, have 5 pints and... well, never mind the rest.

The point about friends is a good one too.

most of my friends have moved to other towns and it is easier for us all to meet in the one pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.lva.ie/page.php?intPageID=556

Just goes to show how much the LVA have thier figure on the pulse. The last update on their site was in 2005 and it was protesting about the introduction of cafe bars - ie competition.

Advertisement