Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One-year freeze on drink prices

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

if prices were lower people could afford taxis home :pac:

If the taxi home was cheaper we could afford more booze:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mikeruurds wrote: »
    The pubs and Diageo wouldn't quote the retail price of a keg inclusive of VAT as all pubs would be able to claim the VAT inputs. I believe the 2007 keg price quoted earlier was reported by Diageo - it would suit them to quote it as cheaply as possible, so therefore excl. of VAT. Also, prices quoted to trade are usually quoted ex. VAT.
    Yeah, that's what I would have thought.

However, it would suit publicans to quote the price of a keg inc. VAT. :)

But assuming that excise is charged at source, and the pubs charge €4 per pint for 88 pints, that changes the profit margin to 42%.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    pubs are different in ireland than elsewhere. I drank in the same pub in dublin for years and the barstaff never knew my name or said hello or anything, even though it was the same ones all along. In other countries i've lived in such as Canada and NZ and now Oz, they tend to talk to you more, and pour you free drinks sometimes, and run up tabs for you, etc. They're usually a lot more friendly. I don't get it really. Although there is a bit more professionalism to it in Ireland I prefer the more laid back friendly approach they have in other countries.

Maybe it's a Dublin/(insert any county/country) thing. I have 2 'locals' in Cork, one in the city and one down the country, and they know me by name in both.
    This is also the case for another couple of bars in the city.

It seems to me in Cork anyway that if you have a bit of banter the odd time with the bar staff, they'll remember you.

Advertisement