Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Black Ice by AC/DC - how good is it?

• 01-12-2008 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

I've been listening to this for a few weeks now and apart from Rock n Roll Train and Black Ice I think it is fairly poor fare. Certainly no classics on here. What are your thoughts on it now that it's been out a while?

Black Ice any good? 32 votes

Good album - up there with DC's best.
    0% 0 votes
    Not bad - some decent tracks
    46% 15 votes
    Poor - should have done alot better than this
    53% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

They have always been a monotonous band, i reckon. All their songs sound the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It's pretty crap. It's up there with **** Magnetic for the "Once Great Band Who've Run Out Of Good Ideas And Are Selling Albums On The Strength Of The Brand Name" award.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

Classic, haven't stopped playin it since I got it. I have every DC album and have been following them for years. You have to listen to it a few times to get it. I honestly believe it's up there with their best. I haven't heard a true dc fan say any different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think it's a fairly solid album, definitely nothing original, but AC/DC were never really going to come out with something that's gonna be radically different to their signiature sound. War Machine is a cracker of a song, has to be said. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Smells worse than it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

i love it,it's like ronseal: DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Hi..been listening to the album for the last week...am pleasantly surprised..expected it to be crap..a few soild tunes...3-4 id say.. its no classic and they certainly play it very safe...if you want groundbreaking albums buy the Kings of Leon.

It could have been a bit more hard and Brian Johnson does sound like Rod Stewart at times!!

Going to see them in Birmingham in April..cant wait..cldnt get tickets for Dublin.

if you want groundbreaking albums buy the Kings of Leon.
    Sorry, but that made me laugh out loud in work, I applaud you, sir. Since their retro stylings weren't even groundbreaking in the 60's, I'm assuming there's an innovative new packaging or mdeia format or something which you're referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Doctor J wrote: »
    Sorry, but that made me laugh out loud in work, I applaud you, sir. Since their retro stylings weren't even groundbreaking in the 60's, I'm assuming there's an innovative new packaging or mdeia format or something which you're referring to?

I should clarify my point..what I was trying to say was..ACDC have not really changed their style or sound over the past 30 odd years..thats one of their main attractions....whereas the Kings of Leon (admitedly the word 'groundbreaking' was used by me very loosely) have had 4 quiet different albums..and that was the comparison I was making...I have seen the word 'groundbreaking' used quiet alot recenly with the KOL so I was pandering to that idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm very fond of Black Ice. There are no great surprises, sure, no amazing rock innovations.

But this is AC/DC. They've made a name as one of the biggest rock bands ever with 30 years of NOT doing that.

Black Ice is full of toe-tappers. Rock N Roll Train, War Machine, Spoilin' For A Fight, Rock N Roll Dream and Black Ice itself are cracking solid rock tunes, way up there in my favourites section. They're not innovative. They're not supposed to be. They're good old uncomplicated simple rock'n'roll. AC/DC have never done complex, and I hope to God they never will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

have had 4 quiet different albums

they aint different at all, they're all sh1te :p

Regarding the AC/DC album its pretty good. Just what you'd expect.

Big Jack is my most listened to tune from the album, niffty little riff in that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Id imagine after the April gig people might have a different opinion of the album. Hearing the songs live will give a different perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

It's their best work since Back In Black. 70% of it is fantastic classic AC/DC. Some standout tracks:

Rockn'roll Train
    Big Jack
    War Machine
    Anything Goes
    Money Made
    Skies on Fire
    Smash and Grab

And superb slide guitar on "stormy May Day"

Didn't expect it to be this good - what a band !!!

And my tickets arrived today for theie shows in London and Dublin.
    Roll on April !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

poundhound wrote: »
    Id imagine after the April gig people might have a different opinion of the album. Hearing the songs live will give a different perspective.

new stuff sounds great live i must say,'war machine' and 'rock 'n roll train' are standout live tracks:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Top class album, I'd put it up there with Back in Black, I've been playing it non-stop since getting it. She Likes Rock N Roll, Money Made and Rock N Roll Dream are the stand out tunes for me but it's all excellent, I don't have to skip any tracks when listening. If you are a true AC/DC fan you love this album, anyone who doesn't like this album just doesn't get AC/DC imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

whereas the Kings of Leon

are terrible.....and....just....just, awful

Pub07 wrote: »
    If you are a true AC/DC fan you love this album, anyone who doesn't like this album just doesn't get AC/DC imo.
    I've been listening to AC/DC for over 20 years. You better believe I get them. However, I stand by what I said about Black Ice. It's a lot better than Stiff Upper Lip but that's about as far as it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Doctor J wrote: »
    It's pretty crap. It's up there with **** Magnetic for the "Once Great Band Who've Run Out Of Good Ideas And Are Selling Albums On The Strength Of The Brand Name" award.

I heard quite a few songs and they sound pretty boring and samey. Also thats a very good point that you have.

Advertisement