Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick question re gears

Options
  • 01-12-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Im a beginner but just something ive noticed my friends doing that i need advice on. When approaching a roundabout, for eg, and they are braking and clutching into 3rd/2nd and having a look to see if their is anything coming, and if their is something coming, with the car still rolling slightly they change into 1st and once the coast is clear they take off. Basically what im wondering is, when the car is moving and you shift into first, is the take off the same as when you are stopped fully ie find biting point and accelerate whilst slowly taking your foot off the clutch?

Bit too embarrassed to ask my mates! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

If the car is moving then no. You can come off the clutch alot quicker then when starting from stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

If the car is still rolling i always thought that it would be ok to take off in 2nd, and that its only when your fully stopped that you change to 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes, i'd tend to agree, generally speaking while you're still moving you should be in second gear and you can just coninue as normal. I'd only switch to first if i had come to a complete stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    If the car is still rolling i always thought that it would be ok to take off in 2nd, and that its only when your fully stopped that you change to 1st
    It is ok to take off in second when the car is moving, its the gear your supposed to use in this situation, But you can use 1st if you need more power.my answer above was not best practice but simply an answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

At a roundabout i generally wouldnt use it, but if its a yeild sign that i need to slow right down for and possibly stoip, id normally role on into 1st gear because there wont be enough power in 2nd to get going!

Instructor said its ok in a situation where its a "closed" junction perhaps where there is a yeild sign also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Bit too embarrassed to ask my mates! :rolleyes:

As your questions has been answered, I'd just like to address this. I've only started learning how to drive over the past few weeks myself.

Your mates are your mates. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help and if they give you a bit of stick, big deal - it's what mates are supposed to do.

I've no problem asking the lads, everyone starts off as a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If anything i'd say you should be asking your instructor rather than you mates. That way there should be no doubt as to what to do, and you'll get to practise it during lessons.

Advertisement