Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice please: VGA cable or new monitor

• 01-12-2008 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

I primarily use my 360 on a nice big HDTV with surround sound but unfortunately, it's also the main family tv. When my wife is watching the likes of America's Next Top Model, I'd much rather be killing locusts. Now, I have a grand gaming pc too, hooked up to a 19" monitor. I was considering buying a 360 --> vga cable and moving the xbox between the monitor and the tv as needed but I'm wondering about the quality of the games through the vga cable. Would I be better off investing in a new monitor with a HDMI port or would the vga cable be sufficient?
    I'm not looking for the same quality of picture as I get on the main tv, as it'll only be used for a couple of hours every couple of days but I don't want a significant drop in quality either.
    So, should I fork out €200ish on a new (bigger) monitor with a HDMI port or €30ish on a vga cable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I'm using vga cable on 24' monitor and its perfect. I don't have any experience with connecting x360 to tv, as I don't own one;).

You have good few resolution settings on 360. Go for cable

EDIT: I have spare one but I'm in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

I'd go for the cable as well. I've my xbox connected to a 22" monitor and the picture is great. The sound is hooked up through the line-in on my PC which wouldn't be as good as a proper surround sound system but it does the job for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I used the VGA cable on a standard dell monitor, but I found it to be very, very dark. Even when I turned up everything on the monitor to max, I found it very dark. I guess it really depends on the monitor.

A safe bet would be to get a loan of a cable off of someone and then decide for yourself if it is ok for you - if possible!

You could also consider an actual hdtv, it would be better value than a monitor if you would like another sky connection, or whatever ( http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335110 ). Would double as another tv to use rather than just a monitor for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I used the VGA cable on a standard dell monitor, but I found it to be very, very dark. Even when I turned up everything on the monitor to max, I found it very dark. I guess it really depends on the monitor.

A safe bet would be to get a loan of a cable off of someone and then decide for yourself if it is ok for you - if possible!.

Do you think it depends on the monitor or the make, i have a dell monitor aswell and have been looking into a vga cable aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've considered putting mine through a monitor before, but would have to upgrade my monitor before doing so... my monitor can only show 1024x768 max resolution.

• Advertisement

My monitor is a 19'' and is a little less than a year old so i'd say it would do te job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Yeah it would be fine. I was using a 19" monitor before I upgraded to 22"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

you should be fine hokey. just borrow one and check it out

mika27 wrote: »
    Yeah it would be fine. I was using a 19" monitor before I upgraded to 22"

Thanks all i need now is the xbox and the VGA wire:pac:

Advertisement