Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC added phone service - but killed my internet

Options
  • 01-12-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi there,

UPC added the phone service to our house on Saturday.
    This involved changing the modem from a motorola one to a Scientific Atlanta EPC2203. The engineer then gives the mac address to his headquarters who switched the service on.

After the call out the internet was dead and has not come back up! :(

I called UPC who said they can see my modem is connecting - meaning their bit is done - they are supplying the service.

So what could the problem be?
    I can begin pinging sites and I get a resolved dns ip for a site - but it then times out and goes no further.
    Could it be some computer setting? I have tried reinstalling the connection several times. I'm using Vista.

I can't find any usb driver for the EPC2203 modem either - and Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) are being no help.

Anyone any experience with the EPC2203 and Vista?

Cheers

additional:
    I'm connecting directly to the modem with a cat 5 / or usb. (removing the wireless router from the equation)
    I get all the lights on the modem and the 'link' light comes on when I connect cat5 / usb. Why o why won't it go any further!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Could it be the vista firewall? Use CAT 5/6 directly to the modem. See if you can ping, nslookup, tracert.

Is the phone service working?

Is the network port enabled?

You don't need drivers with ethernet.

Vista may have been tied to the MAC of the old modem or something Vista-ish.

Failing all that, get rid of Vista. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

When you connect directly to the modem using Cat 5 is your computer configured to use DHCP to get it's IP address or do you have the IP address set in windows? Your pc should be getting its IP address automatically using DHCP...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Vista firewall - or worse - Norton firewall - has to be.

Disable them both temporarily and try restart- remember to re-enable/amend once you know.

I also like PaulM's final idea!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

hmmm.

i would agree with everyone that its vista or possibly norton.

i just cant get over the fact that he use to use the same broadband before the only thing that has changed is the new box.(i had the same box before they put in the phoneline and they still swapped it out for a new one of the exact same type).

its wierd but something makes me thing its a problem with ntl, have you tried reseting the modem they have you.

also try turning on the modem without the phoneline in.

i just can't understand that you could use it no problem with vista and the its suddenly be vista causing the problem unless you change settings or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Can you connect to the modem http://192.168.100.1/ . If you can't its possibly a problem with your computer. If you can connect to modem and can't get access to the internet its could be the new modem is not correctly setup on your account(wrong MAC entered for BB side of modem). The phone is working fine right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Thanks for all the tips. I am able to get to 192.168.0.1 - the modem itself.

The phone did work and modem did go online...

However after dropping the firewall didn't work I went the final step and reset the modem with its reset switch....

I'm now a step further back - less lights coming on on the modem.
    Could the mac address be changed by a reset?

Holy cow - I have a degree in Comp. Sci and a masters in multimedia -- what the hell does poor old granny do who just decided to get an upgrade?!

They expect you to call their premium line to finish an installation by the looks of things.

I will have to do so at this stage - and will write to them for costs. What a joke.

Thanks again for all input.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Howitzer wrote: »

They expect you to call their premium line to finish an installation by the looks of things.

This is exactly what some of us anticipated when they introduced the 'premium' line.:mad: Wasn't the premium line supposed to be to 'help' people who were having pc problems and not for basic connection stuff.

God knows how many of the poor grannies you mention are being ripped off in this way.

Is there any possibility you could borrow a laptop from someone to see if it works with the modem so as to rule in or rule out your own pc as the culprit?

It seems very strange to me that the pc originally worked fine until the change of modem and there are many zillions of vista pcs working fine with the net so getting rid of vista is hardly a practical answer not to mention the cost involved.

resetting the modem has definitely thrown this all a step or two backwards.

I now have to get their input on the fix.

I'll send in my phone bill afterwards for the premium assistance.
    What a sham.

They would be within their rights to say it's my pc - had they tested it with their own pc while the engineer was there. Cowboys Ted!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What happens when you try a tracert to an external ip address?

Take down the two mac addresses from the modem. Ring 1908 ask could they check the mac address are correct. I don't suppose you have a second laptop or pc you could try with the modem. You shouldn't have to ring the premium line. Its also possible its some fault with the modem either way give them a call and tell them it was working perfectly before the modem swap. It really a very easy job to swap out one and shouldn't have any implication on your PC.

• Advertisement

What happens when you try a tracert to an external ip address?

I didnt bother with tracert - should have.

I ping hotmail.com and get "connecting to 89.100.58.1" or whatever and then "request timed out"

Tracert might have been helpful - doh!

Think calling 1908 is the first port of call - then premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Holy cow - I have a degree in Comp. Sci and a masters in multimedia

What happens when one of your nerdy friends comes over with a laptop and tries to connect?

Friends?

Right, when I wasn't busy entertaining my 'friends' last nite I was phoning UPC for some support. (€12 euro worth of credit down the pan! ) All tech staff were unavailable all evening - but I'm promised a call back.

Suddenly an hr after the call all the modem lights came back on and I'm back to where I was.

Take a look at all the diagnostic pics, pings and tracerts I could get (below).

I think "DHCP failed - discover sent - no offer received" is probably the most likely source of the problem. Meaning something at the UPc end.

Again, any input appreciated. (I dug out an xp laptop also this morning --- but it's so old it didn't come to life before I had to leave for the 9-5, will persist with that this eve ;-)

edit: no tracert below - but it just dies at step 1
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\howitzer>ping hotmail.com

Pinging hotmail.com [64.4.32.7] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 64.4.32.7:
        Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 0, Lost = 3 (100% loss),
    Control-C
    ^C
    C:\Users\howitzer>ipcongif/release
    'ipcongif' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\howitzer>ipconfig/release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its me
    dia disconnected.

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7182:8c36:82c8:7340%8
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

C:\Users\howitzer>ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its me
    dia disconnected.

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : chello.ie
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7182:8c36:82c8:7340%8
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 89.101.34.4
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 89.101.34.1

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

C:\Users\howitzer>

Edit: Images are results / settings of a Scientific Atlanta modem. I'm connected directly by cat5 to the modem. As mentioned tracert goes nowhere.

you need to do a tracert. A ping is useless in this situation. According to your images, your own adapter is being correctly assigned an NTL ip address.

I take it you are not using a router then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

The problem is his connection is "limited".

I had a similar issue when a mate got BB from UPC. They had supplied a wireless dongle for the router which always resulted in him getting a "limited" connection. We removed the dongle and used the laptop's inbuilt wireless and connected just fine.

My initial reaction is that there's a driver/hardware conflict somewhere along the line..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Try this if using XP...looks like Microsoft winsock issues....restart PC after applying patch. Did you download SP2 recently?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=17d997d2-5034-4bbb-b74d-ad8430a1f7c8&DisplayLang=en

Or this is using Vista..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

Hey all - thanks for all the work and input on this.

It turns out the mac address was entered at the UPC end incorrectly by 1 digit.

It was well corrected once I got hold of a tech at UPC.

Hey all - thanks for all the work and input on this.

It turns out the mac address was entered at the UPC end incorrectly by 1 digit.

It was well corrected once I got hold of a tech at UPC.
    I thought thats what it sounded like calling out a MAC address over the phone is a bad idea. Usually modems are swap by using login detail in your browser.
    Glad to hear it fixed up.

When they upgraded my modem I remember the engineer asking the agent to call back the mac address to him. Probably experienced this problem before.

• Advertisement

my guy rang in, got stuck on hold, got me to sign and left.

I guess he called out the mac address while making a right turn in his van while juggling coffee and a donut.

A recipe for disaster from the start! ;-)

Advertisement