Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The OFFICIAL exams and how to procrastinate yourself into oblivion thread December 08

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Studied for a good few hours in the library last night, was expecting it to be packed but wasnt that hard to get a place past 7, though was unlucky to leave a can of red thunder (aldi's version of red bul) in my bad and it burst and wet a few of my books though it was nothing a hair dryer couldnt fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Mossin wrote: »
    I think I'm right when I say that you are doing The Sheriff aka John Heneghan's accounting exam?
    Its easy as pie, I'm majoring in marketing and I managed to get an A1 in that module. Just do the past papers and you'll be fine!

Really?

I've been doing the Final accounts and the Cash Flow statements, but none of them are working out!:(

I did Acc. for the Leaving, but it really didn't make much difference...

Do you know if he does the CFS with the Profit and Loss or without. ie. the indirect or direct method?

Also...what's the Marketing major like?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Really?

I've been doing the Final accounts and the Cash Flow statements, but none of them are working out!:(

Do you know if he does the CFS with the Profit and Loss or without. ie. the indirect or direct method?

Methinks Mossin just pulled :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Really?

Yeah really...

I did accounting for the LC as well [hated it so much], also we didnt do that module until 2nd year, cos we are on the old BBS course. I might have my solutions somewhere, most likely back in Limerick [im in Laois atm though], when is the exam?? I should be back early saturday....

It's been 2 years since I did it now though so I've no idea which method he used tbh ...maybe Ninty9er can help with that [he's an accounting major].

The Marketing Major is excellent!
    Honest to god, I'm so glad I chose Marketing and not Accounting like I originally thought.

Marketing has lots and lots of course work, and it means that you are busy from week 1 of each semester right up until study week, but you can get really good grades in projects if you put in the work, and then exams are usually worth between 40-60% rather than the 100% exams that you get in other majors.

Take this semester for example. Yesterday I received an email saying I got an A2 in a project, so I've got that module basically passed before I sit the exam in 2 weeks time.

We also got the opportunity to present in front of an industry panel last week, which was fantastic experience.

Yeah really...

I did accounting for the LC as well [hated it so much], also we didnt do that module until 2nd year, cos we are on the old BBS course. I might have my solutions somewhere, most likely back in Limerick [im in Laois atm though], when is the exam?? I should be back early saturday....

It's been 2 years since I did it now though so I've no idea which method he used tbh ...maybe Ninty9er can help with that [he's an accounting major].

The Marketing Major is excellent!
    Honest to god, I'm so glad I chose Marketing and not Accounting like I originally thought.

Marketing has lots and lots of course work, and it means that you are busy from week 1 of each semester right up until study week, but you can get really good grades in projects if you put in the work, and then exams are usually worth between 40-60% rather than the 100% exams that you get in other majors.

Take this semester for example. Yesterday I received an email saying I got an A2 in a project, so I've got that module basically passed before I sit the exam in 2 weeks time.

We also got the opportunity to present in front of an industry panel last week, which was fantastic experience.

Oh ok that sound good!

Im only in 1st year now, and as much of a legend John Heneghan is...it is not enough to encourage me to do accounting for another 2 1/2 years. No siree!!

Microeconomics (Economics in general really") no...just...no.

I don't really know what to expect with Risk Management and the rest.

Erm, the exam is in Thursday week I think, and the Case Study was nothing shot of a disaster, lol.

Any help would be much obliged Mossin, thanks a mil!!!
    Best of luck in your exams!!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Yup, doing that dreadful economics module which all the BBS class are required to suffer through.

I have no motivation to do anything for that module, I am concentrating on my marketing modules for now...But come Wednesday I'll get stuck into them.....Not looking forward to that! :(

was doing the essays today only got one done... the tourism one..
    think im gonna do tourism, CAP and either demographics or Ireland in the global economy(or whatever that question is),
    i'm doing economics and sociology,so didn't mind some of the lectures thought they were interesting,but some were very boring as well, i like economics so i'm hoping it will all come together not too fond of the sociology.just not liking these essay questions ..

Harpy wrote: »
    was doing the essays today only got one done... the tourism one..
    think im gonna do tourism, CAP and either demographics or Ireland in the global economy(or whatever that question is),
    i'm doing economics and sociology,so didn't mind some of the lectures thought they were interesting,but some were very boring as well, i like economics so i'm hoping it will all come together not too fond of the sociology.just not liking these essay questions ..

I havent started them yet...I've a marketing exam monday, and those essays are taking up the majority of my days atm...

I'll prob do the 1st 3 you mentioned there too. The tourism one was about the only one that actually interested me, maybe it was all the sound effects he used in his powerpoint :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Mimibear

At last the time has come for me to no longer miss being a student! :pac:

You can say that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

So when is everyone finished?

As per usual, Lord cson is bereft of beer until after the morning of the 20th. The last day. Only for I study law I'd be asking where the justice was in this world, but I know there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Same as me cson, having a most unfun time with law, start 10th, have 5 exams, finish with EU law on 20th. *slaps hand*

• Advertisement

Our little friends the french will be happy to hear that.

*outstretches hand*

Shake the hand that shook the world Lord Dennings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Oh ok that sound good!

Im only in 1st year now, and as much of a legend John Heneghan is...it is not enough to encourage me to do accounting for another 2 1/2 years. No siree!!

Erm, the exam is in Thursday week I think, and the Case Study was nothing shot of a disaster, lol.

Really, I loved microeconomics and think macroeconomics should be nice too, definitely want to major in economics.

I agree with you on accounting though, not a chance id major in it, for the exam im jus going over past papers and hoping for the best.

RE: Eckernomics

Tutorial sheets kids, tutorial sheets. ;)

I'm finished Thursday the 18th :)

2 exams each week, but shit loads to do for each.

I'll be in the Stables by 3pm [Latest] that Thursday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'm finished the 20th and don't start until the 12th. Means I'm completely lacking the motivation to study though cause I feel like I'm not starting for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'm finished the 20th and don't start until the 12th. Means I'm completely lacking the motivation to study though cause I feel like I'm not starting for ages

I hear you - I've no exam till wednesday (after my french today that is).

You up for a drink in the stables later ergo (final of the karaoke on tonight) ............. should be fun!!!!!

Anyone else wanna meet up for a dink I'm sick of study?????

DJCR wrote: »

You up for a drink in the stables later ergo (final of the karaoke on tonight) ............. should be fun!!!!!

Sounds like a plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i plan on being in the stables tonight i think ultv are having a xmas party there

maybe ill use it as a reward for getting my project done

or maybe and way more likely ill just go anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Oh ok that sound good!

I'm gonna echo what Mossin said, Marketing is a great major option. Base your opinions on John Fahy's 'Principles of Marketing' which you'll be doing after christmas, and to a lesser extent, but still some indication, Communications in the first semester. Principles is where it's at though!!

Hope your communications presentation went well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

DJCR wrote: »

Sounds like a plan!

Bubbles is singing in the final...see you there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I have tax next monday @ 4 and can't motivate myself at all. Also have to have 2 chapters of FYP done for Tuesday. Gonna be a busy weekend and the granny has summoned everyone (all 5 parents +1 each, plus me and all cousins bar 1) to dinner on Sunday which is going to be a long day, and at least 5 people are going to go home pissed off.

I really enjoyed John Fahy's Marketing module, not that it matters much now, but I picked Accounting because it's a further qualification in itself after a degree once you pass professional exams.

Morley's Management was one of my favourite modules during my time as well as Philip O'Regan's Financial Info Analysis.

I've done a sum total of 70 minutes study so far for thses exams and just about written an FYP introduction.

I'm gonna echo what Mossin said, Marketing is a great major option. Base your opinions on John Fahy's 'Principles of Marketing' which you'll be doing after christmas, and to a lesser extent, but still some indication, Communications in the first semester. Principles is where it's at though!!

Hope your communications presentation went well :)

Thanks!

Im really starting to push towards Marketing now, Ill see what HR is like first though, cos that was my first choice.:)

As for my Communications...hm...lol. It went ok I suppose, it might have been a bit on the short side though...

We had the choice between Recycling, Sli n Sláinte and the Farmers Market.

We went for recycling in the end, I will be honest...we maybe didnt put in as much effort as we should have, but the end result was grand enough.

Celine told us that as far as the oral presentation went, no-one failed or got Ds or Cs, so it can't have been that bad....

Still...just have to wait and see!!:eek:

Thanks!

Im really starting to push towards Marketing now, Ill see what HR is like first though, cos that was my first choice.:)

As for my Communications...hm...lol. It went ok I suppose, it might have been a bit on the short side though...

We had the choice between Recycling, Sli n Sláinte and the Farmers Market.

We went for recycling in the end, I will be honest...we maybe didnt put in as much effort as we should have, but the end result was grand enough.

Celine told us that as far as the oral presentation went, no-one failed or got Ds or Cs, so it can't have been that bad....

Still...just have to wait and see!!:eek:

Good to hear!!

Personnel is a mixed bag, I've heard both sides of that argument :pac:

GL with the exams anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

ninty9er wrote: »
    I have tax next monday @ 4 and can't motivate myself at all.

Same as myself. Has to be the most mind numbing material I've encountered. Can't wait until its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ImDave wrote: »
    Same as myself. Has to be the most mind numbing material I've encountered. Can't wait until its over.
    Quite simple stuff in the main though. Apart from Commencement and Cessation and Year of Marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

ninty9er wrote: »
    Quite simple stuff in the main though. Apart from Commencement and Cessation and Year of Marriage.

Absolutely. It's just a matter of getting through it all. Last years exam paper seems to be a pretty good indication of the structure of questions. Similar enough to the tutorials.

I picked up some Tesco brand Red Bull when I was in town earlier since my attention span is non-existent. It's crazy stuff. I had one can and my hands are shaking and I have so much energy and want to do so much...

...but I still don't want to study.

I picked up some Tesco brand Red Bull when I was in town earlier since my attention span is non-existent. It's crazy stuff. I had one can and my hands are shaking and I have so much energy and want to do so much...

...but I still don't want to study.

Made me smile.

Get that room of yours cleaned, unless you've already passed that 'study-aviodance things I can do' point ;)

I cleaned it this morning, then I cleaned my hamster's cage, then I had a shower and did my hair, then I made lunch, then I drove my housemate to the train station and then I did some Christmas shopping. Anything to not study.

• Advertisement

Get that room of yours cleaned, unless you've already passed that 'study-aviodance things I can do' point ;)

How do you know what her room is like hmmm?? :pac:

Advertisement