Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old Road Tax vs New Co2 emissions

Options
  • 01-12-2008 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

Whats the story now, are the old rates frozen forever, or can the government increase them as they like ?

And if so, will the new cars on the Co2 system go up aswell ?

I can see it being messy in the future if there are price increases and two people driving the same car but different years could end up getting an increase and the other one doesnt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Both will be increasing in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

they'll just increase all the rates (old & new) by a flat % rate across the board in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    they'll just increase all the rates (old & new) by a flat % rate across the board in future

Thats not really fair though is it,

i.e You pay 200 i pay 400, increase of 50 % now i pay 600 and you pay 300... .??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

craichoe wrote: »
    Thats not really fair though is it,

i.e You pay 200 i pay 400, increase of 50 % now i pay 600 and you pay 300... .??

nothing in life is fair...

You get paid €50k per year, other work mate gets €30k. They announce a 5% rise in everyones salary....someone is going to be more of a winner

I agree it should be a flat rate of an increase and not a percentage, but then again it should be no increase as we pay far too much anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Government in this country has no interest in the well being of the Motorist full stop. We have half arsed main roads, no cat's eyes on unlit dark secondary roads, punitive taxes, and a car culture that thinks a 1.0 Micra is the pinnacle of motoring engineering.

Course, we could really blame the Romans. If they'd bothered invading us, we'd have some more straight roads at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ned78 wrote: »
    Course, we could really blame the Romans. If they'd bothered invading us, we'd have some more straight roads at least.

Damn Romans

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

pfj.jpg

Yeah, what did the Romans ever do for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Dammit Bazz26 for making me chuckle at 5.40 on a Tuesday afternoon. I'm just going to have to watch the Life of Brian with herself tonight now as a result. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

ned78 wrote: »
    and a car culture that thinks a 1.0 Micra is the pinnacle of motoring engineering.

LOL:D! It's hard to believe that this is the island that gave us the DeLorean, and the country where Henry Ford's Granddad is from.

We're so disinterested in cars that we can't even buy the closest thing to an "Irish" car in enough numbers to put Ford at number 1 in the car charts.

Instead it has to be.... Toyota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

E92 wrote: »
    LOL:D! It's hard to believe that this is the island that gave us the DeLorean, and the country where Henry Ford's Granddad is from.

We're so disinterested in cars that we can't even buy the closest thing to an "Irish" car in enough numbers to put Ford at number 1 in the car charts.

Instead it has to be.... Toyota.

Jaysus... i thought we had a fairly high rate of car ownership per capita due to out crap public transport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

craichoe wrote: »
    Jaysus... i thought we had a fairly high rate of car ownership per capita due to out crap public transport

Yeah, but most of the cars we have are boxes on wheels, pint sized underpowered engines and generally low spec to boot.

In fairness buying habits have changed somewhat and most cars actually have some bit of equipment as standard these days and people no longer go for the lowest equipment level any more but the love of the small capacity/least powerful possible engine is an ongoing disease that has not changed at all.

Really exciting cars like AMG Mercs, S4s, S5s etc are very rare and anyone who does buy one is buying a money pit because they depeciate so quickly due to nobody wanting your pride and joy when you do want to get rid of it.

In any other country, larger engines are championed, here you have to go to extraordinary lengths to convince someone that a 1.6 Focus is much better than a 1.4, anywhere else you'd be laughed at for wanting a woefully underpowered 1.4 and 1.6s, 1.8s, even 2.0s are the norm.

Advertisement