Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help - Alloy Advice

Options
  • 01-12-2008 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi Guys, I bought a new car last week, there are 17" alloys with low profile tyres, had a puncture already... no luaghing as I havn't a clue about this (im a girl who admits to not having a clue about cars) but can I buy new tyres, that are thicker and put them on the alloys that came with the car??? Sorry if this is a luaghable question.. Dont want to be tortured with punctures..

Thanks in advance guys..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

Hi There,

Bring the wheel to a garage, they might be able to repair the puncture or you may need a new tyre which isn't a big problem apart from the cost!
    A 17" tyre could cost a few bob..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

its probably just a coincidence that you got a puncture. id get it fixed and you may not get one for years or you could get one driving out of the tyre shop :o

as for putting thicker tyres on i think you mean higher profile tyres - i dont think this will help your chances of getting a puncture. it would also affect you speedometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

thicker tyres will make your speedo read a slower speed than you are actually doing...not advisable

nothing emabarressing about getting a puncture...we all get them. Not the best time of year to get one though....dark early and that wheel brace can be cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd say it was just bad luck that you got the puncture to be honest. I have 17's on my car with low profiles and have never had a puncture on them. I slow down slightly on bumpy roads and try to avoid pot holes where I can alright but to be honest I've had more punctures on cars with smaller wheels and higher profile tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Tells wrote: »
    Hi There,

Bring the wheel to a garage, they might be able to repair the puncture or you may need a new tyre which isn't a big problem apart from the cost!
    A 17" tyre could cost a few bob..:(

Low profile tyres are also expensive :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jbree

Thanks everyone, I've had such bad luck with cars I was just gutted when that happened within a week.. And I love the Alloys wouldn't like to change them at all. I'll give them a chance and see how I get i'll be back for more advice if they continue to be a problem..
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

jbree wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I've had such bad luck with cars I was just gutted when that happened within a week.. And I love the Alloys wouldn't like to change them at all. I'll give them a chance and see how I get i'll be back for more advice if they continue to be a problem..
    Thanks

Best of luck with it :) What car did you buy by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

Thanks

Just fitted two 17" Falkens I bought from Eiretyres. Approx 150 for both including shipping but there are cheaper alternatives available

Bought a 1.9 Vectra, an I love it apart from the obvious problem..

CJackson wrote: »
    Just fitted two 17" Falkens I bought from Eiretyres. Approx 150 for both including shipping but there are cheaper alternatives available

should have went to camskill for your Falkens...they are the cheapest for them

I got 4 x Falken FK452's (225/45/18) for €325 from camskill...I priced them on eiretyres and they were over €100 more for the set

• Advertisement

Bought a 1.9 Vectra, an I love it apart from the obvious problem..

great engine...is it the 120bhp or 150bhp?

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    great engine...is it the 120bhp or 150bhp?

120 - and I thought I knew nothng about cars, go me.. Its been done up (not the correct term i'd say) to look like an SRI.. Its pretty cool if I do say so myself..

120 - and I thought I knew nothng about cars, go me.. Its been done up (not the correct term i'd say) to look like an SRI.. Its pretty cool if I do say so myself..

this forum might be of interest to you

http://vectra-c.com/forum/index.php

Ok so the garage have said the tyre is bald on the inside, its a slow puncture, said tyre would cost from £60 to £100... Is this right, im so mad only have it a week and i'm paying out already, plus will I need to get the car lined to sort the wearing problem? If so what sort of money is that?

about €60 tops for wheel alignment. Any decent tyre fitter should be able to do wheel alignment aswell.

Thats a good price for the tyre, even at the most expensive €100 you were quoted I would imagine a tyre would be a lot more for a 17" rim.

Go on.. Throw a picture up!:D:D:D:D

Tells wrote: »
    Go on.. Throw a picture up!:D:D:D:D

of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

should have went to camskill for your Falkens...they are the cheapest for them

I got 4 x Falken FK452's (225/45/18) for €325 from camskill...I priced them on eiretyres and they were over €100 more for the set

Yes Camskill are v cheap. mines ahead of eiretyres & others.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I had 18" alloys on a Passat previously, and when I bought the alloys (went from 15"), they were fitted with 225/40/R18's.
    Had a blowout after a few months later when I hit a severe pothole and the rim split the tyre wall as it compressed.

I went back to the wheel dealer as I needed a new tyre anyhow, explained the problem and he said that a 235/40/R18 would be the better option for the car as it was quite heavy at the front with the TDI engine.
    So I bought 2, and never had another problem again - but also tried to avoid potholes where I saw them!

So you could ask the wheel dealer to quote you on a wider tyre....e.g. 225 width up to 235.

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Can someone clear this up for me if possible? My Dad's mechanic said he gets a good bit of work replacing gearboxes on cars that have wheels that are bigger than the manufacturing spec ie. putting 17" wheels on say a 15" base. Any truth or just pure bs?

• Advertisement

of what?

Of the car!!

Advertisement