Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 and Golden Spider Awards

Options
  • 01-12-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed that www.tv3.ie got two Golden Spider Awards 2008. Yet their website has only been up and running for the last 2 months. It even won the grand prix award.

Since I am new to this part of boards let me first point out my total bias againist TV3 and I may prehaps be begruding them these awards, but sure a bit of begrudery is good ever now and then :)

So not to take away from www.boards.ie winning best social networking site, but are the award a total set up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

you pay to enter. so yes. It lacks any credibility in the industry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

heggie wrote: »
    you pay to enter. so yes. It lacks any credibility in the industry

Have you ever actually been to the awards? Crap meal and you pay through the nose for the tickets. (I have found that clients are keen to enter it so they can have the 'nominated' icon at the bottom of their sites. Leave them at it =)

If I recall correctly there was a bit of scandle about it a couple of years ago because not a single one of the sites that won an award was in any way standards compliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

no not at all, I wouldn't waste my time. As far as I can see, it's still the same oeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

heggie wrote: »
    no not at all, I wouldn't waste my time. As far as I can see, it's still the same oeb.

Ohh it is, I have been once (The company I was working for at the time decided to enter it against my advice), and I had two sites in it this year (Both submitted by the site owners, nothing to do with me)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Only 171 errors on tv3.ie. Not bad. Wonder who designed it. Oh and a brand new site but of course like all sites it's a transitional doctype. Yet again a fresh site is in transition to...something even better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Went to the awards one year, was a good laugh but complete load of b*llox in terms of actual quality of the sites involved etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

It's a money-making scam. Most of the best designers and developers in the country avoid it which is as condemning an indictment as you can get. You have to pay to enter, there's no transparency with the scoring and many (though not all) of the judiciary aren't really qualified to judge the quality of a website. Caveat emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Google it :)

There's been plenty of blogs posts and forum discussions about it over the last few years !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

musician wrote: »
    Only 171 errors on tv3.ie. Not bad. Wonder who designed it. Oh and a brand new site but of course like all sites it's a transitional doctype. Yet again a fresh site is in transition to...something even better?

How di you gather that info about the errors and that?

yop wrote: »
    How di you gather that info about the errors and that?

W3C Validator

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cheers Ken

yop wrote: »
    Cheers Ken

It's a brute force way of evaluating the quality of a site as even some of the best marked-up sites can have quite a few validation errors and some terribly coded sites can pass the validation test fully.

Having said this, the front end code on TV is pretty poor with scant regard for semantics or accessibilty, cluttered design, over use of Flash, an inconsistent use of technology and very poor usability.

I'm not trying to be intentionally malicious towards TV3 or anything. I just think that if this qualifies for an award-winning Irish website in 2008 then... well, it's sad really.

Advertisement