Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to xbox

• 01-12-2008 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm planning on getting an xbox 360 sometime before christmas,i used to be a hardcore gamer :D back in the days of playstation 1,2,megadrive,saturn,dreamcast,gamecube,N64 but i haven't a clue what are the top games now :(

The games i'm most into playing are car/driving ,fps/shoot em ups,sports games,rpg.

I don't want to be buying full price games as they're a rip off so i'm probably talking about older games :o

What are your recommendations please

Cheers in advance :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

joeperry wrote: »
    Hi, i'm planning on getting an xbox 360 sometime before christmas,i used to be a hardcore gamer :D back in the days of playstation 1,2,megadrive,saturn,dreamcast,gamecube,N64 but i haven't a clue what are the top games now :(

The games i'm most into playing are car/driving ,fps/shoot em ups,sports games,rpg.

I don't want to be buying full price games as they're a rip off so i'm probably talking about older games :o

What are your recommendations please

Cheers in advance :pac:

Forza 2, Colin McRea Dirt are the two best driving games.
    GTA4 is also excellent for combined shooting and killing fun with guns and cars! Others will recommend other games I'm sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Most people will obviously recommend Gears of War 1 (which should be pretty cheap to pick up these days) & 2 - both are very good. Bioshock is another fantastic shooter, as is Half Life 2: The Orange Box (and you get 5 games in one with that).

Forza and DIRT are indeed good, though if you enjoy "arcade" racers as well, check out Burnout Paradise and Pure - they're both loads of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Crackdown, the most fun you'll ever have with your clothes on. :)

EDIT: and you'll pick it up for pennies, too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

All of these can be got second hand for very, very cheap and are well worth it.

Gears of War 1 (Obvious one)
    Call of Duty 4 (Best multiplayer FPS ever IMO),
    Colin McRae DiRT (great game - most I've ever gotten into a non-F1 driving game),
    Forza 2 (Loads of gameplay),
    Tom Clancys Rainbow Six Vegas (got it for €20 nearly a year ago),
    FIFA 09 (only about 40 euro - new),
    Madden NFL '08 (If you are into American football, can probably pick it up under 20)
    Crackdown (very good, could probably be bought for €10!)
    PGR3 (Around 6 quid!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

No mention of Oblivion (best RPG by a mile)? Of course you may not want to sacrifice whole weeks of your life to video gaming :rolleyes:. You can get it cheap second hand (try Ebay).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Midnight Club LA is a deadly driving game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

MayoForSam wrote: »
    No mention of Oblivion (best RPG by a mile)? Of course you may not want to sacrifice whole weeks of your life to video gaming :rolleyes:. You can get it cheap second hand (try Ebay).

Fallout 3 is also pretty tasty - about €40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Cheers lads,just another couple of questions,do xbox games work with the 360,i've wanted to play panzeer dragoon orta for years..............also is there a decent F1 game for 360?

I've just been reading up about street fighter 2 HD sounds great with the online play,i only have a 1mbit connection when its working properly is that enough for online gaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

also is there a decent F1 game for 360?

No, there is no F1 game at all :(:(:(:(

Although, I think someone has gotten the license for F1 in the past couple of months so one may be coming along next year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Cheers lads,just another couple of questions,do xbox games work with the 360,i've wanted to play panzeer dragoon orta for years..............also is there a decent F1 game for 360?

I've just been reading up about street fighter 2 HD sounds great with the online play,i only have a 1mbit connection when its working properly is that enough for online gaming?
    http://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

its on the list, so your good to go :)
    dunno of any good F1 games off hand but im sure there are some out there, do remember sony having the license for the official F1 game but im sure that expired.

and 1meg is grand for playing online, its what I used for a long time.

/Edit F1 game lacking is mentioned above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

Codemasters are making a multiformat F1 game due in 2009, if i was to hazard a guess it'll be in june/july around the time of the GB grand prix. There are two F1 games for the orginal Xbox, F12002 and F1 99-02 Carear Challenge. The latter definitely won't run on the 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Battlefield: Bad Company. The single player is so so but the multiplayer is fantastic. Very tactical and not as much run and gun as some of the other FPS games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    All of these can be got second hand for very, very cheap and are well worth it.

Gears of War 1 (Obvious one)
    Call of Duty 4 (Best multiplayer FPS ever IMO),
    Colin McRae DiRT (great game - most I've ever gotten into a non-F1 driving game),
    Forza 2 (Loads of gameplay),
    Tom Clancys Rainbow Six Vegas (got it for €20 nearly a year ago),
    FIFA 09 (only about 40 euro - new),
    Madden NFL '08 (If you are into American football, can probably pick it up under 20)
    Crackdown (very good, could probably be bought for €10!)
    PGR3 (Around 6 quid!)

Dont forget pgr4 too. Also pretty cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Biro wrote: »
    Forza 2, Colin McRea Dirt are the two best driving games.
    Definitely thumbs up for them. I have both and being a car nut they are the best driving games I have ever played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Halo 3
    Fear
    Any of the Call of Duty's are decent
    Medal of Honor: Airborne is ok

all of the above would be very cheap by this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Definitely thumbs up for them. I have both and being a car nut they are the best driving games I have ever played.

The Group B machines are a handful!! What annoys me about Dirt is that you think you've managed a fairly respectable time in the T16 on some stage, thinking to yourself maybe with a bit more consistancy you might shave up to 5 seconds at best off your time, then you realise when it uploads your time and shows you the world leaderboard that someone has gotten something like 40 seconds quicker on the same stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

Dude just play Hexix! Comes free on your xbox and it's f*ckin addictive. I played it solidly until I finally finished it. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Cheers for all the suggestions,

Another thing i'm not quite aware of is are the driving games like forza 2 and dirt playable against other people online? and would fifa 09 be playable 1 on 1` say online?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

Cheers for all the suggestions,

Another thing i'm not quite aware of is are the driving games like forza 2 and dirt playable against other people online? and would fifa 09 be playable 1 on 1` say online?

Thanks

Well Fifa definitely is & not just one v one! Welcome to the future Joe! You're never gonna leave the house again!

Advertisement