Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Duffy just said Twat on national radio!

• 01-12-2008 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

And he wasn't quoting either, twas his description of the Top Gear team.

Swearing on radio, okay or not? Esp at 1.50pm

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Gerry Ryan and Ray D'arcy get away with it earlier in the day. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 rover84

mike65 wrote: »

Swearing on radio, okay or not? Esp at 1.50pm

Mike

They should lock him up on a 12 year sentence for that kind of carry on.

He swore, who cares, its not important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Listening to Joe Duffy is a much greater crime tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well he's lucky he isn't on the Beeb, he'd be off air now. :p

I guess he might have said twits with that accent its easy to mishear.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

I heard it. Very strange. What's his hangup with the Top Gear lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

djsupreme wrote: »

They're british? I dunno,its joe,does he need an excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

right.. better ring live line with this complaint... ive heard it works wonders with getting things sorted....

anyone have the number??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

djsupreme wrote: »

They're far more popular than he is? As in recognised-in-other-countries popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

I don't like Joe Duffy but his description of those TopGear muppets is bang on.

Why don't we have a no thanks button? ;)

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

"Twat" counts as swearing now :eek: My we're easily offended!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

mike65 wrote: »

Jeremy Clarkson is a twat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MrEko

Twat, thats not a swear word, it couldnt be. Besides, Darcy has said worse lots of times.

Twat = vagina (its c*nt for the innocent)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MrEko

Surely a twat is an idiot, it used to be in the Beano the whole time when I was a young lad.

Try googling!

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What's the number for comreg? :eek:

Twat is not offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

MrEko wrote: »
    Surely a twat is an idiot, it used to be in the Beano the whole time when I was a young lad.

You'll probably find you're thinking of another word... cos "twat" has definitely never featured in the Beano, Dandy or any other British kids comic...

WH Smiths refused to carry an issue of Viz on their shelves in the 90's because of the use of the word Twat (relating to 'vagina') on the cover, resulting in the creation of the amusingly foul-mouthed character "Sweary Mary" who's sole purpose was to antagonise WH Smiths, and in an internal BBC complaints survey in 1998, Twat was the 10th ranked most offensive term or swear word, offending more people than "Sh*t", "D*ckhead", "p*ss off" and abusive slang terms for Pakistanis and Black people.

Doubt Dennis the menace would have gotten away with it, to be honest...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I present Exhibit A in the case for "twat" not being offensive. And its seasonal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYV6GWxVoqY

0:53

"Did you call me a twat?"

"Yeah, ya twat!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Agree, twat ain't a swear word. It's used to slag off idiots.

• Advertisement

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I present Exhibit A in the case for "twat" not being offensive. And its seasonal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYV6GWxVoqY

0:53

"Did you call me a twat?"

"Yeah, ya twat!"

I'll see your ex-art students 'getting one over on "the man" ' by sneaking a swear word onto a piss-take single and raise you a confirmed definition:

:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Agreed that it isn't a too strong term of abuse. Sure you can have the female genitalia one but it's also used in a lighter context. For e.g 'pussy' can be a vag, a meek person or indeed a household pet. Joe did use it very dismissively though. Slighting people for "paying to see those twats in the RDS". The same fella wouldn't comment on people paying good money to see the likes of Brendan O Carroll, June Byrne or Smiley Bolger. Now they are fookin twats but yet he would hardly slight them (or the audience) if in the unlikely event that they'd fill out the RDS for 3 nights.
    Oddly strongly dismissive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Was he introducing the next show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Twit = idoit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jeanie77

Who could have said a lot worse, Tw*t is not really a curse is it???:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

From my trusty old Chambers dictionary
    Twat (vulgarly) the vulva: (blunderingly) part of a nuns dress (Browning): a coarse general term of reproach (slang). [Origin obscure]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I was under the impression:

Twat = general muppet
    Twot: =cnut

I'm thinking i wont be calling people "twats" too frequently any more :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Any Irish person who says "twat" needs a kick up the hole. It's an English slang term.

i was hit a 2 week ban :eek:by some villiage napoleon moderator a few weeks back for calling someone a TWAT who had just referred to the irish as " stupid embarrassing fenions (his spelling) ". i thought i was well within my rights but alas no.

• Advertisement

Any Irish person who says "twat" needs a kick up the hole. It's an English slang term.
    We speak English though. I use it a lot. I've lived in England for a few years and got the hang of it. Fine word. Where'd we be without English slang words? F@ck, wanker, plank, cnut, slapper, numpty, prick etc., etc. The only good irish one that comes to mind is geebag. A quality put down. I speak a bit of Hebrew and even in that language an Israeli would revert to using English origin slang. For e.g "Anni lo yo fooking dea".

I cant stand Joe Duffy anyway he caused chaos when he told everyone to take their money out of the banks and put it in the post office or some rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

bonnie tyler said "shít" on ray darcy show this morning

jeanie77 wrote: »
    I cant stand Joe Duffy anyway he caused chaos when he told everyone to take their money out of the banks and put it in the post office or some rubbish!
    He didn't give that advice. Maybe you should listen to him just to get the story right.

humberklog wrote: »
    He didn't give that advice. Maybe you should listen to him just to get the story right.

Sorry is this the Joe Duffy fan club? Sorry I will leave this discussion bye :D

jeanie77 wrote: »
    Sorry is this the Joe Duffy fan club? Sorry I will leave this discussion bye :D
    Not at all. Far from it. Just that what you said was wrong. that didn't happen. There's plenty of real ammo out there to hurl at Joe. But it doesn't stick if it's wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 November One

Uh well first of all I was under the understanding that words like "feck" and "bastard" were common place on the radio now, and second of all isn't a twat actually a pregnant goldfish?

and second of all isn't a twat actually a pregnant goldfish?

No, that was "twit", and its wrong too, as Goldfish do not get pregnant they get 'ripe' because they are egg layers, not child bearers, so a "pregnant" goldfish doesn't exist, and if it did, it wouldn't be called a twit.

QI put that myth to bed some time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The cheek of Joe Duffy to call anyone a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bum Boy

He can be a bit of a tool alright but hang on that's something useful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Twat is not offensive.

You are using the English language to get this point across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You are using the English language to get this point across.
    innit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

That's nothing Mike.

I heard the MD of United Travel Ltd use the word "f*cking" on today's Liveline.

Obviously RTE don't want to install a 10-second delay system as they either a) like going down the High-Court everytime some loon calls up and accuses a Minister of being orally pleasured by his PA or b) they have no money left after filling Pat Kenny's swimming pool with money.

In seriousness, standards are dropping. Just from the last week of casual listening I heard the "s" word being used at least twice on both Ryan Tubridy and Pat Kenny's slots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I'll see your ex-art students 'getting one over on "the man" ' by sneaking a swear word onto a piss-take single and raise you a confirmed definition:

:D
    LOL @ Bondvillain

Twat ( sorry ) THAT made me burst out laughing !!

;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 naidheachdair

That's nothing Mike.

I heard the MD of United Travel Ltd use the word "f*cking" on today's Liveline.

Obviously RTE don't want to install a 10-second delay system as they either a) like going down the High-Court everytime some loon calls up and accuses a Minister of being orally pleasured by his PA or b) they have no money left after filling Pat Kenny's swimming pool with money.

In seriousness, standards are dropping. Just from the last week of casual listening I heard the "s" word being used at least twice on both Ryan Tubridy and Pat Kenny's slots.

Not only did he use "f*cking" three or four times, he used it to the regulator who decides whether or not he gets a trading licence! Bad move.

That phone-in as a whole was fairly gripping stuff. "Can I have my money back please! Can I have my money back please!"

Is it always like a consumer affairs remix of Jeremy Kyle? I'm usually in work when it's on.

Advertisement